Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Storing wet dirty towels

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 5:40 pm
Still haven't figured this out. I keep it in a hamper with lots of big holes. However it does smell moldyish. How do you dry them out until you get to make a load

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 5:43 pm
I keep them hanging on the back of the bathroom door hooks and wash as often as needed.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 5:44 pm
I throw them down the laundry chute and wash once I have enough. I use hot water and an extra rinse and sometimes I do wash them twice.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 5:45 pm
When they are all crumpled up, rather than being exposed to the air, they are not going to dry properly, and will develop some mould.

We use towels more than once, and after use they are hung back on the hooks to dry and air out. Normally once a week I collect them all and wash them.

chanar

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 5:46 pm
In my home, we hang all our towels after showers/baths on hooks in the bathroom.
I wash all the towels during the day and replace with fresh towels.. so wet towels never sit in a hamper and get that damp smell..
works for us? Maybe someone else has another better idea!

silverlining3

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 5:55 pm
I throw it into the tub, behind a closed curtain Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 8:05 pm
I'm talking shmattes-washcloths, dish towels, towels used to wipe spills. Bath towels I leave hanging for the most part

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 8:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm talking shmattes-washcloths, dish towels, towels used to wipe spills. Bath towels I leave hanging for the most part

When I do a deep clean, I use lots of rags at once and then do a load.
Otherwise, everything needs a place to dry. Dish towel, hang on oven bar to dry at night and when dry in the morning, throw into the hamper if you're not ready to wash. Wash cloth needs a hook in the shower as well.
Don't be afraid to wash often. The washing machine adjusts according to size. It's high efficiency and doesn't waste water.

nanny24/7

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 8:34 pm
These towels I have hooks in the kitchen on which I can easily fit 2 towels on each if I needed. I use the label of the dishtowel to hook it on to hang on the hook. I am guessing the dishtowels usually have the label folded over and attached from both ends for exactly this reason.
The hooks I have we just bought the kind that comes with glue in the back to stick onto the wall or a surface. Some hooks we bought though were junky and fell off easily until we found one that sticks well and never budged.
If a towel gets visibly stained from spills I hang it over the shower curtain rod temporarily. I normally wash laundry daily, and got in the habit of grabbing whatever dishtowels are on the hooks or shower rod each time and replacing when I do a load.
By the way I have found that sometimes if a towel gets badly moldy it's really hard to get the smell out.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:25 pm
I usually spread them out on top of the hamper or on the sides of a laundry basket—I have several—till dry, then put in hamper. If I had a whole lot, I’d drape over plastic hangers or clip to skirt hangers and hang from the shower curtain rod till dry. Never put anything in the hamper unless it’s dryer than the bones in Ezekiel’s vision. Unless you LIKE mildew.

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:36 pm
I throw it in the washing machine and every couple of days I do a load.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 11:01 pm
You will not belive it

I am a real american easy life...

ALL my launndry, all, is in same load!! dark, light, linen, towels, men undershirts - all goes on warm

so no need to wait and accumilate

only exception is from time to time shells that go on gentle cycle, cold, and dry over a towel rack on top of a towel. stockings too in that same cold gentle.

ALL GOES IN , together, Be Achdus
;-)

WARM cycle - and done!

PS I dont put all in dryer, some stuff get air dried over a towel or on hooks in bathroom.

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:17 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
You will not belive it

I am a real american easy life...

ALL my launndry, all, is in same load!! dark, light, linen, towels, men undershirts - all goes on warm

so no need to wait and accumilate

only exception is from time to time shells that go on gentle cycle, cold, and dry over a towel rack on top of a towel. stockings too in that same cold gentle.

ALL GOES IN , together, Be Achdus
;-)

WARM cycle - and done!

PS I dont put all in dryer, some stuff get air dried over a towel or on hooks in bathroom.

Don’t your whites turn grey? Don’t you get towel lint on your darks? Or do you simply not care?

lucky14

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:20 am
silverlining3 wrote:
I throw it into the tub, behind a closed curtain Smile

ah me too! Or hang them on the side of the hamper like someone else said.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:25 am
zaq wrote:
Don’t your whites turn grey? Don’t you get towel lint on your darks? Or do you simply not care?

No. white stays white. no lint if you use dryer sheet

in the US its warm water. I know other countries its boiling water first and that brings issues of mixed white n dark, warm in the US works!!

if you have a large family you can do seprate loads. for a smaller family life is so easy with all togrther no thiking. Achdus we said!

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:36 am
Having once turned my ds light blue slacks a lovely shade of lavender from a red shirt in the same load, and another time turned dh tightie whities pink —from one old red washcloth that was accidentally left behind in the machine—I think I’ll stick to the tried-and-true method of sorting—and checking the machine for stowaway items before loading.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry