Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
The home edit vs minimalism vs Kan Mari
Previous  1  2

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 9:47 pm
I'm no expert--my house could use an organizing makeover show Smile but I really like Marie Kondo's method of purging what doesn't spark joy. I find it really hard to get rid of clothing, and when I find myself starting to say "but what if?" I'm able to let go by thanking things and saying goodbye because they don't bring me joy anymore. It sounds silly but it works.

spikta

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 6:48 am
I just listened to a couple of books that were helpful (both audiobooks were available through the NYPL app, so free):

The Clutter-Free Home: Making Room for Your Life, by Kathi Lipp
It talks more about the emotional aspects of decluttering and organizing. Going through different reasons for why it might be hard for us to get rid of stuff (e.g. But what if I need it... It reminds me of someone... What if I can sell it online... I bought a thing and in the end I didn't use it, so I'm going to keep it to punish myself for wasting money...).

Decluttering at the Speed of Life by Dana White
It's a bit more practical. It's like having a friend come over and help you declutter. She walks through all the rooms in the house, she has a clear method, and it helped me clear out a lot of things I had paralysis about.

Both are about decluttering, not organizing, but I find that when I have less stuff then organizing is a no brainer, and so much easier to maintain.

I didn't watch/listen to Kan Mari but I find the sparking joy thing a bit simplistic and less than helpful for many things. What if too many things spark joy? I still have a problem. Nothing in my bathroom sparks joy, but I still need a method for it...

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:04 am
spikta wrote:
I find the sparking joy thing a bit simplistic and less than helpful for many things. What if too many things spark joy? I still have a problem. Nothing in my bathroom sparks joy, but I still need a method for it...

Let's face it, seven years of back tax returns will spark joy only in an accountant or IRS agent, but we have to keep them. I also find it hard to get excited about my plunger. I wouldn't want to be without one, but still...

That's why I say "take the best and leave the rest" about ANY how-to book, whether it's how to make up your face, bake challah, fix your marriage, or organize your home. Use only what works for you.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics