Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Anyone has experience with IKEA kitchen?

momof6girls

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:39 am
I am planning on moving, and need to redo the kitchen. does anyone have experience with IKEA kitchens? is it really that much cheaper? Is it good quality?

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:32 am
You can't post anonymously here.

s c

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 7:21 am
For some reason ikea gets a really bad rap here. I had ikea cabinets fitted 15 years ago. Around 3 years ago I wanted to update my kitchens look but the cabinets and drawers were in such great shape that I only redid doors and sinks and worktops etc. If you see a style you like I would go for it. I have a large kitchen and it woild have cost many thousands more if we hadn't done ikea. And this is a very busy kitchen with a big household so it definitely stands upto wear and tear.

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:38 am
IKEA kitchen cabinets are excellent quality and far better quality than most kitchen cabinets in their price range. Their actual quality including hardware is pretty good. From what I read they use some form of Blum hardware for hinges which is considered one of the higher quality manufacturers.

The drawback is that they have more limited choices which is one reason that their pricing is so good. However, if you google "IKEA Kitchens" or go to houzz.com, you can see examples of gorgeous IKEA kitchens - many of which are in high end homes.

Keep in mind that one of the reasons why an IKEA kitchen is theoretically less expensive is that it is assembled on site and has a relatively simple installation process to hang. Therefore it is used by many DIY people. If one has a third party assemble and install one loses some of the pricing differential.

Also you have to be comfortable with less hand holding than you might get from a regular kitchen design store.

If one doesn't like the choice of doors, there are companies that offer a wide range of doors in wider styles and money.

I don't have an IKEA kitchen but remodeled a short time ago and spent a lot of time researching cabinets. The most important thing anyone can do before do a kitchen remodel is to spend time researching various options so you should certainly check out the IKEA website as it has a tool to design your kitchen. IKEA also has kitchen planners in the store which can help you.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:41 am
I know someone who had a terrible experience with ikea kitchen. Wrong measurements and bad installation etc. I remember the drama and regret. A regular store sometimes has closeouts of older styles. Way better option.

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:48 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
I know someone who had a terrible experience with ikea kitchen. Wrong measurements and bad installation etc. I remember the drama and regret. A regular store sometimes has closeouts of older styles. Way better option.

IKEA doesn't measure nor does it install.

Either you do it yourself which means that you measure and install or you hire a third party to do it.

Your friend hired an incompetent person but that has nothing to do with IKEA which merely sells the cabinets.

IKEA is not for everyone because you do take more responsibility than if you use a traditional store but in general the quality of the cabinets will be higher for less money because of the IKEA business model - they have economies because of the scale of manufacturing; the cabinets are not assembled and delivered to the home but are assembled at the home; and they don't hide design fees into the cost of the cabinets.

But as I posted, the best way to get the best quality kitchen for one's budget is to spend a lot of time researching and exploring various options.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:52 am
Amarante wrote:
IKEA doesn't measure nor does it install.

Either you do it yourself which means that you measure and install or you hire a third party to do it.

Your friend hired an incompetent person but that has nothing to do with IKEA which merely sells the cabinets.

IKEA is not for everyone because you do take more responsibility than if you use a traditional store but in general the quality of the cabinets will be higher for less money because of the IKEA business model - they have economies because of the scale of manufacturing; the cabinets are not assembled and delivered to the home but are assembled at the home; and they don't hide design fees into the cost of the cabinets.

But as I posted, the best way to get the best quality kitchen for one's budget is to spend a lot of time researching and exploring various options.

So that might’ve been the issue. Since they don’t measure they got the sizing wrong and they had hell with the installation. All I remember is that they regretted shopping there so badly.

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:00 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
So that might’ve been the issue. Since they don’t measure they got the sizing wrong and they had hell with the installation. All I remember is that they regretted shopping there so badly.

For sure I certainly would NOT have wanted to go the DIY route because measurement is so critical for designing a kitchen. On the other hand my mother was a meticulous measurer - my father wasn't but he was super handy in terms of building things so together they made a great DIY team. She would measure wallpaper and he would do the actual pasting under her scrupulous supervision. LOL

And even with measurements there can be design disasters like having drawers that can't open because one end hits up against something. Or a refrigerator door that can't open because it is against the wall.

And then there are just poorly designed kitchens where stoves are next to doorways or in paths where there is a lot of traffic - that's dangerous. My stove was next to the wall before I remodeled and therefore I couldn't use a pot with a long handle on one side because there was no space - a well designed kitchen has space on either side of the stove.

Or people put cook tops in islands which makes the island less functional because it is then dangerous to have people - especially children - sit at the island.

But I digress - just pointing out how much goes into a well designed kitchen. My most important decision was hiring a designer who knew much more about function AND aesthetics than I could possibly know. As the saying goes - You don't know what you don't know.

But you can have a designer who designs your kitchen - including taking measurements and produces a fabulous high functional kitchen using IKEA cabinets. And you will have an end result that is beautiful and very high quality because the actual quality of the cabinets is extremely high for their cost.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:04 am
I just wanted to add that people think that Lowes or Home Depot are bargain places but often you can do better by shopping smartly elsewhere if one is comparing apples to apples in terms of cabinet quality.

Also another misconception is that these places have on-staff installers. They use third parties and so the quality of the actual installer might not be that great. This is also because HD and Loewes pays the installers less than they could make in exchange for having the referrals. This means that higher quality installers and contractors are less likely to do work through the Big Box stores because they have ample customers who hire them directly.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:05 am
Amarante wrote:
For sure I certainly would NOT have wanted to go the DIY route because measurement is so critical for designing a kitchen. On the other hand my mother was a meticulous measurer - my father wasn't but he was super handy in terms of building things so together they made a great DIY team. She would measure wallpaper and he would do the actual pasting under her scrupulous supervision. LOL

And even with measurements there can be design disasters like having drawers that can't open because one end hits up against something. Or a refrigerator door that can't open because it is against the wall.

And then there are just poorly designed kitchens where stoves are next to doorways or in paths where there is a lot of traffic - that's dangerous. My stove was next to the wall before I remodeled and therefore I couldn't use a pot with a long handle on one side because there was no space - a well designed kitchen has space on either side of the stove.

Or people put cook tops in islands which makes the island less functional because it is then dangerous to have people - especially children - sit at the island.

But I digress - just pointing out how much goes into a well designed kitchen.

But you can have a designer who designs your kitchen - including taking measurements and produces a fabulous high functional kitchen using IKEA cabinets. And you will have an end result that is beautiful and very high quality because the actual quality of the cabinets is extremely high for their cost.

The bolded made me laugh because that was part of their woes.
All in all they regretted the day they chose ikea vs. a regular store who does it all for you in a professional manner. Stores always have discounts on older stuff. I’m not sure how great ikea quality is either.

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:09 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
The bolded made me laugh because that was part of their woes.
All in all they regretted the day they chose ikea vs. a regular store who does it all for you in a professional manner. Stores always have discounts on older stuff. I’m not sure how great ikea quality is either but with that I’m not sure.

When I was remodeling I came across websites that had pictures of incredibly bad designs that couldn't function.

But in the right hands, you can have a beautiful functional kitchen using IKEA cabinets because the quality of the actual cabinets are high.

Some people hire a designer and then they have a kitchen with cabinets that cost $10,000 instead of $30,000 for the same "look".

Obviously with very high end cabinets you pay for the increased choice of types of cabinets as well as doors and woods and finishes that are more expensive.

s c

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:10 am
Totally agree with the above. I wouldn't have dreamt of going the DIY route with my ikea kitchen. I had very good people who designed, measured, ordered and fitted my kitchen to my specs but it was still way cheaper than other kitchens.

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:31 am
Not mentioned but are you remodeling the kitchen you now live in or are you planning to remodel the kitchen of the new home.

In general, remodeling a kitchen for resale makes no economic sense unless you are in the construction business and can do it inexpensively. You are never going to get 100% of the costs back plus you will have lived with the aggravation of a kitchen remodel. Far better to price the home accordingly or market it as a positive - e.g. give a credit. Many people would prefer NOT to pay for someone else's kitchen remodel.

momof6girls

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 1:42 am
Hi,
Thanks for your help!
I need a new kitchen in the house that I will be moving into.
I heard that Ikea cabinets on top are deeper than the standard size, and therefore its a bit hard to work on the counter. Do you have a problem with that?

s c

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 4:02 am
No issues at all. Not sure if the modern day measurements have changed so maybe go to the showroom and and see how it feels

flowergirl8

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 5:53 am
momof6girls wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for your help!
I need a new kitchen in the house that I will be moving into.
I heard that Ikea cabinets on top are deeper than the standard size, and therefore its a bit hard to work on the counter. Do you have a problem with that?

Hi! I put in an IKEA kitchen 1 year ago. It is in perfect condition and looks great. I have a standard natural stone counter and had no problem at all with it. Think maybe you were given incorrect information?

thanks

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 7:14 am
I have a very large ikea kitchen. I designed it using their software, and then hired an IKEA expert to look over the design and do the installation.
The kitchen is beautiful and looks new after 8 years. Saved a lot of money even with some customization.

Best part, cabinets have a 25 year Warranty. You cannot get that anywhere else.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars