Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Chicken soup recipe from chasidish or heimish homes?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

nosher

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:19 am
I am chassidish and put in 7-8 chicken bottoms. No bones. I put in lots of large carrots, onion, leek, lots of garlic, turnip, squash, parsnip, root celery, parsley root and occasionally a beet or sweet potato.
I cook up the chicken first and skim very well before adding the vegetables.
My mother used to throw in turkey neck.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:27 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I cook my soup in a large pot. Then I remove the vegetables besides for carrots. I strain my soup and pour it into containers , add carrot and freeze or refrigerate . Then in a smaller pot I rewarm the amount of soup I need for one meal.

This. Separate the broth into containers and only rewarm the amount you need each night, so it doesn't overcook each time you rewarm.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:48 am
nchr wrote:
Almost everyone I know who is chassidish puts zucchini in their soup as well. Everyone has a different recipe and does their own thing! You should call the people whose soup you enjoyed and flatter them by asking for the recipe.

zucchini ? interesting, never saw a recipe with one

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:59 am
I save all of the bones from a roast chicken, and keep them in the freezer. When I want soup I take them out and make "bone broth", low and slow on the heat. I add a little bit of vinegar at the beginning, to soften the bones and make all the calcium and other minerals come out into the soup. Don't waste all the good stuff!

Strain off all the chicken, and put the soup in the fridge or freezer until the fat comes to the top. Scrape off the fat and use it to sauté onions. Use them later, or add them to the soup.

DD loves her soup with tons of celery, and no other vegetables. I can use veggies to add flavor to the broth, but they need to come out when I strain it.

I make double or triple batches of Pesach noodles, and keep them in the freezer. They are DD's favorite, and mine too. Add them at the very last minute to keep them from getting soggy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If someone is sick, I make the bone broth and strain it. Then I add a whole bunch of veggies, garlic, and a big tablespoon of curcumin. Cook them until they are mush. Then I use the stick blender until everything is even and velvety. This is perfect for when someone has a very sore throat, a stomach ache, or poor appetite.

When I had Scarlet Fever, I ate nothing but this soup for a week and a half straight. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I still lost 10 pounds, but at least I was getting some protein and nutrition into me.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:13 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I cook my soup in a large pot. Then I remove the vegetables besides for carrots. I strain my soup and pour it into containers , add carrot and freeze or refrigerate . Then in a smaller pot I rewarm the amount of soup I need for one meal.

Why didn’t I think of that!!! 🙈🙈🙈
Thank you so much for telling me this!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:21 pm
I’m very far from chassidish. My chicken soup is very similar to those above. (And very yummy!).

imaima

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:28 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I save all of the bones from a roast chicken, and keep them in the freezer. When I want soup I take them out and make "bone broth", low and slow on the heat. I add a little bit of vinegar at the beginning, to soften the bones and make all the calcium and other minerals come out into the soup. Don't waste all the good stuff!

Strain off all the chicken, and put the soup in the fridge or freezer until the fat comes to the top. Scrape off the fat and use it to sauté onions. Use them later, or add them to the soup.

DD loves her soup with tons of celery, and no other vegetables. I can use veggies to add flavor to the broth, but they need to come out when I strain it.

I make double or triple batches of Pesach noodles, and keep them in the freezer. They are DD's favorite, and mine too. Add them at the very last minute to keep them from getting soggy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If someone is sick, I make the bone broth and strain it. Then I add a whole bunch of veggies, garlic, and a big tablespoon of curcumin. Cook them until they are mush. Then I use the stick blender until everything is even and velvety. This is perfect for when someone has a very sore throat, a stomach ache, or poor appetite.

When I had Scarlet Fever, I ate nothing but this soup for a week and a half straight. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I still lost 10 pounds, but at least I was getting some protein and nutrition into me.

It is possible to make new soup out of the bones that had already been roasted?! please confirm..

lilies

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:30 pm
You need some white carrots 2 or 3 (parsnip? Petrushka?) Consider adding 2 chicken bottoms for more flavor. And a sprinkle of paprika and white pepper.
Skip your first step. Dump all the ingredients in, and cook at least 2 hours.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:31 pm
do you want a heimish recipe ? like normal ingredients etc

gonewiththewind1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:41 pm
Clear chicken soup recipe from chassidishe home here.
I use my largest pot and freeze the extra.
Package chicken bones and sliced large onion in cooking net.
4 chicken cutlets with skin in a separate cooking net
1 cubed turnip
4 sliced carrots
12-16 cups of water
1 TB salt
1 dash of black pepper
Bring to a boil and Cook for 2.5-3 hours on low flame, pot completely closed.
Take out chicken cutlets after 1 hour and bake according to how you like for an hour.
Throw out bones and onion bag.
Gives you 4-5 pickle size containers.
Freezes well.

Make noodles and kneidel separately.
We like Schwartz kneidel mix Best.

Last edited by gonewiththewind1 on Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

asmileaday

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:52 pm
So interesting how everyone has their own method and recipe. Some recipes listed here would never fly with my kids.
In case anyone needs another "recipe" here's mine:
8qt pot
1 big pack chicken bones put in a net or 3 chicken bottoms
1 onion
1 pasternak (aka white carrot)
1 knob celery
(The above 3 peel, cube and put into a mesh bag)
1 big green squash
4 carrots (from the big loose ones)
1 Tbsp salt

Bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook anywhere between 4 and 8 hours.

Putting the bones into the soup when the water is bubbling strongly will give you a clear soup with no need to strain.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:14 pm
I'll add my recipe.

I cook chicken soup on Thursdays, using a whole chicken cut in quarters, in a boil bag to keep it all together. We then eat the chicken for dinner.

1 chicken, cut in quarters (boil bag)
1 zucchini (we just call it squash)
3 large carrots
1 sweet potato (yam)
1 small knob celery
1 parsley root
2 sticks of celery (though I stopped using it at one point and often forget to add it)
Salt

I cook it in an 8 quart instant pot for 80 minutes and it's perfectly heavenly every time BH, deep yellow, clear, and flavorful. If I do cook it in a regular pot, I first cook the vegetables and water and then add the chicken, and let it cook on a low flame for at least 4 hours.

My mother adds a whole tomato, because it is supposed to pull the calcium out of the chicken bones and into the soup. One of my sisters puts in some flanken for added flavor.

I usually have enough soup from such a batch for Thursday dinner, Friday night, and about 3 more 32 oz containers besides.

When I have a baby starting to eat solids, we mush or blend the veggies for them. Otherwise I make mush for my nieces or nephews, or turn it into vegetable cutlets with a bit of matzo meal and some other veggies.

imasinger

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:19 pm
imaima wrote:
It is possible to make new soup out of the bones that had already been roasted?! please confirm..

Absolutely!

That's probably how it always used to be done.

Don't let anything go to waste.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:44 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I'll add my recipe.

I cook chicken soup on Thursdays, using a whole chicken cut in quarters, in a boil bag to keep it all together. We then eat the chicken for dinner.

1 chicken, cut in quarters (boil bag)
1 zucchini (we just call it squash)
3 large carrots
1 sweet potato (yam)
1 small knob celery
1 parsley root
2 sticks of celery (though I stopped using it at one point and often forget to add it)
Salt

I cook it in an 8 quart instant pot for 80 minutes and it's perfectly heavenly every time BH, deep yellow, clear, and flavorful. If I do cook it in a regular pot, I first cook the vegetables and water and then add the chicken, and let it cook on a low flame for at least 4 hours.

My mother adds a whole tomato, because it is supposed to pull the calcium out of the chicken bones and into the soup. One of my sisters puts in some flanken for added flavor.

I usually have enough soup from such a batch for Thursday dinner, Friday night, and about 3 more 32 oz containers besides.

When I have a baby starting to eat solids, we mush or blend the veggies for them. Otherwise I make mush for my nieces or nephews, or turn it into vegetable cutlets with a bit of matzo meal and some other veggies.

How on earth do you get so many containers out of an 8qt pot? How much does your family eat at dinner or Fri night? I usually get enough for Friday night and then 2.5 more 32oz containers.
Maybe it's because you do it in an instant pot so it doesn't cook down at all?

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:58 pm
I am not chassidish, but the way I learned it is like this.

For chicken soup: buy an entire chicken, take it apart, take the central part (rib cage, etc.) boil it in hot water with an onion, celery stalks, salt, pepper. The longer you boil it, the stronger the taste will become... so boil it really long (8 hours), but be careful, fill up water when it evaporates...

If you don't have a whole chicken, you could also use a package of wings...

Take out the onion and veggies, take the meat from the bones, take out the bones and skin, put the meat part back in (or don't if you prefer just clear soup)

Put new veggies in (the others are over-boiled) (or don't if you want jut clear soup): zucchini, carrots, leak, celery stalks or bulb, cabbage fennel (whatever you like) bring the soup to boil again, keep warm on low fire, dilute the soup to taste, serve...

You might also want to add kneydlach or noodles or kremslach...

nylon

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 5:15 pm
I'm not Chassidish, but this is how my grandmother made it, and she learned it from *her* grandmother, who was Polish Chassidish and came to the US when she was already older. My mother's whole family makes their soup exactly this way. And we only served it with carrots. Sweet potato and zucchini would never have been known in the alte heim...

Chicken AND bones (you need some meaty pieces)
large onion
celery
parsley root peeled (NOT a parsnip. using a parsnip is an American innovation)
carrots, peeled
Bunch flat parsley
Bunch dill
Salt

Put the chicken, onion in 1/4s, celery rib, parsley root, and 1-2 carrots depending on size in the pot. Cover with water and add some salt (not too much, you will add more later and it will reduce). Bring it just to the boil so you can skim off the raft of grey scum. Turn the heat down. If you like your carrots very soft and mushy, add them now, whole. (I loved them this way as a child.) If you're going to freeze the broth don't do that though. Let simmer for an hour or so. Add your parsley and dill and simmer till the chicken is very tender, about 3hr total.

Pick your carrots out of the soup if you want them, and strain the soup. This gives you all the flavor of the dill and parsley without green bits in your soup. If you didn't add carrots before, slice or cut them as you like and simmer in the strained broth till tender, and taste for salt. I recommend chilling so you can remove most of the fat (leave a bit for flavor, but I never bother removing skin or pulling off fat, so it's best to degrease it and more effective than trying to defat raw chicken.) Now serve with whatever starch you like.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 5:26 pm
asmileaday wrote:
How on earth do you get so many containers out of an 8qt pot? How much does your family eat at dinner or Fri night? I usually get enough for Friday night and then 2.5 more 32oz containers.
Maybe it's because you do it in an instant pot so it doesn't cook down at all?

The Instant Pot doesn't cook down much or at all, even though the flavor is concentrated well. I don't know what kind of witchcraft or wizardry is involved, but I love it. If I would use it only for chicken soup, dayenu.

And my family doesn't need more than a single container for Friday night.

mom24.7

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 6:00 pm
I'm chassidish.

Chicken bottoms and bones in mesh bags
Carrots
Zucchini
Parsnip
Optional sweet potato
Celery
Salt

Boil the water first. Absolutely clear soup I never ever need to strain it.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 6:37 pm
youngishbear wrote:
The Instant Pot doesn't cook down much or at all, even though the flavor is concentrated well. I don't know what kind of witchcraft or wizardry is involved, but I love it. If I would use it only for chicken soup, dayenu.

And my family doesn't need more than a single container for Friday night.

Hmmm maybe I should think of getting one. Always tempted but feel like I'll never get into using it. Do you have a link to the one you bought?

Fave

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 6:53 pm
Too much water will result in the soup not having enough flavor. I only add enough water to cover the bones and chicken pieces (if using). I add the vegetables on top.

For a clear soup, boil water first (by now I know home much water to add to the pot - about half way up). Once water is boiling add chicken and bones and bring back to a boil. Add salt, pepper and vegetables and simmer on a low boil for 4 hours.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus