Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How does anyone lose track of 600,000 NIS? Details anyone?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:58 pm
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

I googled for more details and I didnt find any.

If anyone has more details in a news article (not just rumor), please post.

Einikel

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:59 pm
Strange story

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:59 pm
I don't think they lost track of it. I think it's more like that box of cash got included by mistake with the other boxes. That's my take on it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:02 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I don't think they lost track of it. I think it's more like that box of cash got included by mistake with the other boxes. That's my take on it.

Then they clearly knew where the boxes came from and whose money it is... (the story says the person probably forgot about or gave up on this money).

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Then they clearly knew where the boxes came from and whose money it is... (the story says the person probably forgot about or gave up on this money).
I hear ya, I didn't get that detail. Probably for that person, $600,000 nis is for me $60.00. It's possible for me to forget that someplace.

amother
White

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:13 pm
These headlines always make me roll my eyes a little bit... maybe I'm just cynical but would anyone who's a semi decent person actually keep that money without even making an attempt to figure out who it belongs to?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:23 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
These headlines always make me roll my eyes a little bit... maybe I'm just cynical but would anyone who's a semi decent person actually keep that money without even making an attempt to figure out who it belongs to?

Many people arent even minutely decent. Theres millions of them in the world.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:27 pm
maybe it belongs to a tzedaka organization who collects before yom kipur and the box got misplaced
I can hear how that could happen.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:29 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:

B'H, you have never been so desperate for food or rent, that you wouldn't be extremely tempted. Unless your kids are actually crying from hunger, you'll never understand. May you never know!

I think that most yidden who are in that position would want to return it, if they had a secure financial position. I like to think that even very poor people would want to return it, but it would be extremely hard.

Our parnossa is signed and sealed for the year. How do we know if that person was supposed to lose that money, or that the finder should keep the money? How do we know if the finder would not lose a similar amount of money 6 months from now, or CVS face a serious health issue, or worse?

Better to err on the side of caution. We don't know for sure what Hashem's cheshbon for each of us holds.

(And I can honestly say that I would be sorely tempted to keep it, even knowing that it might bring bad mazel on me later. I daven not to be tested - I'm a human, not an angel.)

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:29 pm
gave up on, yes. Forgot about? not likely.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:35 pm
If you want to be cynical - maybe the story is fake. It still brings up an extremely good point to think about. What if it was you that found the money? Returning lost objects is a huge mitzva. What would be your heavenly reward for not taking something that was not meant to be yours?

I'm always amazed when I see things like a child's brand new, obviously very expensive coat hanging up on a bench in the park.

Obviously the child forgot about it when they went home, and can't even remember where she left it.

Instead of someone taking it home for their own kid, they purposely leave it there so that the family can come back and claim it.

I see things like this all the time! Even something as small as a kippa that has fallen to the pavement, gets picked up and set somewhere obvious. It never fails to warm my heart.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:36 pm
I'm bothered by the psak. The average person doesn't ever have yeush on that amount of money.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:46 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
I'm bothered by the psak.

I was wondering too... Keep the money? Maybe its for a Tzedaka?

happyone

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 2:00 pm
I generally take everything I read these days with a grain of salt.
that amount of money "between crates " would scream drug money to me.
the Psak halacha is iffy and the story is not Covid related. so ya. mi ka'amcha yisroel.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 2:30 pm
So many strange things with this story.
First off, how in the world did this man find the people connected to the money?
Second, did nobody else think that this money was actually from something sinister, like a drug deal or something like that?
To "misplace" that much money?
Im sorry, I dont believe it. Something is very very off and strange and really not so believable if I may be completely honest.
And I just searched google for this story and once again YWN is the only "source".

imasoftov

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:58 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
First off, how in the world did this man find the people connected to the money?
Second, did nobody else think that this money was actually from something sinister, like a drug deal or something like that?
Im sorry, I dont believe it. Something is very very off and strange and really not so believable if I may be completely honest.
And I just searched google for this story and once again YWN is the only "source".

Well it came with a shipment of candles, so I suppose he called whoever he bought it from. I suppose that would be the factory or a distributor. I don't think it's terribly suspicious for either of those having lots of cash around, places that sell candles (supermarkets, housewares stores) probably do some proportion of their sales in cash and might use the cash to pay for merchandise.

I don't know why customer use that much cash, I use credit cards in places like that, and it wouldn't surprise me if a factor is that some of that cash wasn't reported for tax purposes, but I don't think that's a problem for the stores, distributors, or manufacturers if they report their income.

I sometimes see a customer with a really large amount of cash. I might have a single digit number of 200's with me, but I see really thick stacks of cash come out of wallets. Those are the people who might be evading tax. Or maybe they are in business, take in cash, record and report it all, and keep a lot of it around to spend. But why do they carry that much cash instead of putting it in the bank? Wallets get lost, pockets get picked, and maybe if I see that large amount of cash, which isn't 600,000 shekels but could be thousands, what if someone else in the store sees it too, follows them outside, and robs them?

OK, I take more money out of the caspomat than I need, and get more when I start running low (hopefully before rather than after), but that's because otherwise I'd forget to withdraw cash and find I had none. And if I lose my wallet with 1,000 shekels in it, really replacing the pieces of plastic is more of a hassle to me than the money. But many thousands? I've handled large envelopes full of cash before but when I do, I want to get them to where it's going and get a receipt as soon as possible, I don't stop for shopping on the way there.

There are limits on cash transactions in Israel since last year, and I found how much consumers are allowed to give a business, but I don't know if that applies between two businesses. Or maybe it does, and that 600,000 is the result of a lot of transactions. I don't think it's illegal to keep that much cash around, although it might not be the best idea since it could get stolen (or shipped somewhere by mistake). But if a business did hold onto that much cash it might be better to keep it in a really secure safe rather than a carton, particularly one that is usually used for shipping their products.

But maybe if I worked at the tax office, I would look into it. The name on the box may belong to the business that the cash came from.

I hear in the news all the time about someone having been robbed of large sums of cash or leaving it on a bus or something. Maybe not as much as 600,000 shekel, but maybe a figure in tens of thousands. I wonder why they have that much, too. They're also in a cash business? They don't trust banks?

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 5:29 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:

Same. Would someone just go, oh cool! 600,000 NIS. Let me go get a new house. And a car while I’m at it.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 7:50 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

The kicker for me was the last paragraph.

“The person who lost the money, a modern orthodox man, cried in a gush of emotions when the money was returned to him. He couldn’t stop praising Satmar Chassidim. He said that he heard that our group of Chassidus was an extreme sect, but here he saw something completely different with his own eyes.”

First the hyperbole in the first sentence sounds like something I would hear in certain teachers' stories but never actually experienced people behaving this was IRL.

Second, this was a "modern orthodox" man who had "heard" about satmar... Stop right there. When I used to hear these hyperbolic stories, the person saying this this would be not Jewish or not frum. MO people know about chareidi people and how they live. MO people aren't insular in either direction. I'd sooner believe that someone from a more insular community thought this would sound reasonable to make up because they don't often go into MO yeshivas than the other way around.

The last part also doesn't stand up logically. The man believed this was an extremist sect, but because they returned his money, he sees that they're not extremist? Is the narrator saying that MO people don't believe satmar would do hashovas aveida?

It also ends with the "lesson" being "he couldn't stop praising satmar". That's not how people I know operate IRL. If someone found and returned something valuable to me, I would be grateful to them. Why would I bring up their entire chassidus in my gratitude?

Sounds more like someone has an agenda in pushing this story. If parts of it were true, the way they told it over undermines it.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 7:54 pm
Oh also, yeah, if you get that much money in the mail or a strange package with other things, be careful. A common tactic for drug deliveries is to have it sent to a different address and try to intercept it when the package comes. This way if it's caught when going through customs, they can't trace the real person who ordered it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics