Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Recipe for Sea Bass?

tweety1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:07 am
I bought Sea Bass but have no idea what to do with it. Tnx ladies!

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:22 am
Sea Bass is such a delicious fish that it really doesn't need to be cooked with a lot of sauces.

I am assuming it's not a whole fish because mostly I've prepared "steaks" rather than a whole fish.

In my opinion, the best preparation is the simplest one - just be careful not to overcook the fish so that it is dried out.

Here's an idea for a simple preparation that doesn't hide the taste of the delicious flesh.

INGREDIENTS

1 pound sea bass (cleaned and scaled)
3 cloves garlic cloves, minced or crushed
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves
2 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
2 wedges lemon
1/3 cup white wine

PREPARATION

Preheat oven to 450F°.

In a cup, mix garlic, olive oil, salt, and black pepper.

Place fish in a shallow glass or ceramic baking dish.

Rub fish with oil mixture.

(Optional) Pour wine over fish.

Bake fish, uncovered, for 15 minutes; then sprinkle with parsley or Italian seasoning and continue to bake for 5 more minutes (or until the thickest part of the fish flakes easily).

Drizzle remaining pan juices over fish and garnish with lemon wedges.

gande

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:28 pm
I saute onions garlic and mushrooms. Rub fish with oil mixed with black pepper salt paprica or bbq sesoning if I want it tasty. Pore mixture over fish and bake 45 min at 400 covered. Recipe similar from a taste of pesach

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:33 pm
Dont overcook and don't undercook. You want it to flake easilybut not fall apart. cooked tomatoes make a nice sauce. its super fatty so the acid goes great with it.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:34 pm
Did you get fresh sea bass today?
(Just saying it doesn't freeze well. Best when bought, cooked and ate fresh. )

Odelyah

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:50 pm
can I hijack for a minute with some sea bass questions please? Smile

I've never bought sea bass due to the prohibitive price, and now I live somewhere where it isn't readily available, but my daughter who has spent corona time becoming quite the chef BH, has had her heart set on making a recipe she saw on kosher.com and I thought I would try to get some for her to make l'kavod yomtov. so I was wondering, if any of you ladies live in the tri-state area, do you know where the best place is to get sea bass for the best price? and I assume it is not sold frozen? because I would need to get it fresh and make it that day right? I wouldn't want to freeze it I assume.. My son could probably pick some up for me on his way home but not sure if it would be on the day I'd want to make it.

also, I was looking to see if there was a less expensive, similar tasting fish that would be a good substitute, and the one that I see is black cod/ sablefish. has anyone ever bought this fish? I heard it has bones that are difficult to remove so it is usually sold with bones. I would want to try it if there is a store that sells it without bones, because it is cheaper and better for the oceans, apparently. So any leads about that would also be appreciated! (But if it's only sold bony, I would probably splurge on a small amount of sea bass.) Thanks in advance!! Smile

Odelyah

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:52 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Did you get fresh sea bass today?
(Just saying it doesn't freeze well. Best when bought, cooked and ate fresh. )

I just saw this after I posted--that's what I assumed. one fishmonger I spoke with on the phone told me it's just as good if you freeze it, but I was skeptical...

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:13 pm
Odelyah wrote:
I just saw this after I posted--that's what I assumed. one fishmonger I spoke with on the phone told me it's just as good if you freeze it, but I was skeptical...

I don't buy sea bass or tuna, as they're expensive but if I am spending on it I need it to be fresh.

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:29 pm
Almost every fish is better if fresh - fresher the better.

And freezing fish you have bought is never a good thing to do except in an emergency because at least commercial plants freeze food at flash temperatures so there is less damage to the food.

Buying from a reputable fishmonger is the best way to go. The very best fish stores buy their fish from a place like the Fulton Fish Market or a distributor who does it and delivers the fish the same day.

Talapia is cheap and not too good so if you need a frozen fish, it will do but that is why most recipes disguise the fish with sauces. Salmon is tolerable if frozen but again, if one is spending on wild catch salmon one wouldn't want to waste money if it is frozen - frozen is tolerable for farm salmon since the quality isn't that great to begin with - and again, that is why so many salmon dishes which use inferior salmon disguise it with sauces.

Sea bass is expensive and one should demand that you are getting fresh high quality for the price.

Now ironically Chilean Sea Bass used to be a cheap and unpopular fish when it was sold as Patagonia Toothfish. But a market genius renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and under that name it became a wildly popular and super expensive fish.

tweety1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:39 pm
For those really interested, I never bought Sea Bass before and yes it's fresh. I've never bought cuz of how expensive it is. Decided to treat dh lekuvod y"t

egam

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:08 pm
tweety1 wrote:
For those really interested, I never bought Sea Bass before and yes it's fresh. I've never bought cuz of how expensive it is. Decided to treat dh lekuvod y"t

The question no one asked is did you buy sea bass or Chilian sea bass? What to do with it will really depend on your answer as they are completely different species.
All of the answers you got here is for the Chilian sea bass.

tweety1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:07 pm
egam wrote:
The question no one asked is did you buy sea bass or Chilian sea bass? What to do with it will really depend on your answer as they are completely different species.
All of the answers you got here is for the Chilian sea bass.

I have no idea. Lol. I called the fish store and ordered "Sea Bass".

littleprincess

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:28 pm
I usually buy seabass for yom tov . I just pour a dressing over it (like a homemade caesar dressing ) and bake it in the oven for like half hour right before the zman. I put it on top of my hot plate till the meal (doesn't need to be very hot but good to be served warm )
Dh loves loves loves it .

It goes very well with a tomato salad next to it .
I'm already drooling and looking forward to tomorrow night

gande

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 7:05 pm
I buy at bingo they are best price about $22 a pound. regular fish stores are $38.not sure if they get it frozen but I don't really care. I froze it once and was still delicious couldn't tell a difference.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 8:42 pm
gande wrote:
I buy at bingo they are best price about $22 a pound. regular fish stores are $38.not sure if they get it frozen but I don't really care. I froze it once and was still delicious couldn't tell a difference.

thank you so much--which bingo? (not sure if there's more than one--I live in CT but my son could probably pick up in Brooklyn or Monsey).

the fish guy on the phone told me everyone (at least in this part of the world) gets it as whole frozen fish, that they defrost and cut up. which is why I was extra hesitant about refreezing (I'd rather buy it still frozen then, but he said I can't because they get it whole)

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:27 pm
Black. I’d is also amazing

Odelyah

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:32 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Black. I’d is also amazing
I want to try it-- is it always full of bones though?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics