Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Silver spring, beware!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Blessing1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:14 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Maybe, but most of those threads start off with something like, where is a good chol hamoed trip 2-4 hours from Brooklyn, with sukkah and minyan. So maybe she could have said it nicer, yes, but most of the clueless expectations actually do seem to come from Brooklyn.

Many attractions like Great Adventures, Hershy Park, Bronx zoo, American Dream mall, and many more have a sukka. There's nothing wrong to ask and it's not clueless.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:21 pm
Well in LA the major local Rabbanim have signed a letter saying out of town guests should get a COVID test in LA before going to shul.
Some shuls have outright banned people from the East Coast and their local host if a local COVID test was not taken.
So to us, the East Coast is a hotbed of infection and disease. Our numbers are lower- statewide, locally and in the frum community.
PLEASE DONT COME HERE if you won't listen to the Rabbanim and get tested.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:34 pm
Here's what I'm struggling with. Israeli borders have been closed since March forbidding entry for non citizens. And while the virus never really subsided there, American borders are wide open to host Israelis.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:38 pm
Baltimore is requiring outsiders to test for covid to attend shul.

My friend who is going kept her kids home all week. Retesting the entire family for antibodies (they had in the past) and covid before traveling. So don’t jump on ppl.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:40 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Here's what I'm struggling with. Israeli borders have been closed since March forbidding entry for non citizens. And while the virus never really subsided there, American borders are wide open to host Israelis.

And why do you think this is? (Hint: November 3rd)

Blessing1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:49 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Baltimore is requiring outsiders to test for covid to attend shul.

My friend who is going kept her kids home all week. Retesting the entire family for antibodies (they had in the past) and covid before traveling. So don’t jump on ppl.

There's nothing wrong with requiring non Baltimore residents to test before travel, as long as they're not singling out one specific community. It's to any travelers in general.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:51 pm
I live in Silver Spring. My shul is being very strict:

Quote:
Sukkos and Travel Policy
1. Anyone who travels outside of Montgomery County during Sukkos for one or more nights may not attend shul for 14 days upon their return to Montgomery County.
2. Anyone who hosts out of town guests, may not attend shul during their stay or for 14 days after their guests departure. Except for minor children returning home from out of town schools or yeshivas that do not have any positive cases.

Not singling out any particular area, just keeping ourselves in a bubble.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:55 pm
I have not heard of any big typical chol hamoed attraction having a communal sukkah available. And I doubt that the shul in Lancaster is eager to host hordes of travelers. Travelers should assume they will NOT be welcome.

fleetwood

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:56 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
I agree with this. I didn't know traveler's expect to be welcome in communal sukkah's and community shuls. But people travel from all over, not just from Brooklyn. It's wrong to single out one community when people of many communities are traveling.

Are you new to this forum?. Brooklyn bashing has been going on for years with nary a comment from any moderators. It's not considered loshon hara to denigrate Brooklyn on this forum . No other city gets as much bashing as Brooklyn on this forum. If you would like to know why this is..feel free to p.m. me ...

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:04 pm
fleetwood wrote:
Are you new to this forum?. Brooklyn bashing has been going on for years with nary a comment from any moderators. It's not considered loshon hara to denigrate Brooklyn on this forum . No other city gets as much bashing as Brooklyn on this forum. If you would like to know why this is..feel free to p.m. me ...

Yup yup. And ironically all the Brooklyn bashing comes from the out of towners who are supposedly "so nice and friendly and open minded and non judgmental etc etc." I don't think I've ever seen a post here where a brooklyn'er bashes or puts down an out of towner.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:05 pm
fleetwood wrote:

Definitely not new! Just trying to make imamother a better place. I don't care why it's acceptable to bash Brooklyn on imamother, it's just not right.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:26 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I have not heard of any big typical chol hamoed attraction having a communal sukkah available. And I doubt that the shul in Lancaster is eager to host hordes of travelers. Travelers should assume they will NOT be welcome.

Many attractions are advertising that they're having a sukkah on site.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:34 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

Harrisburg closed their shuls to tourist awhile ago.
I contacted shuls in tourist areas before traveling and all said was ok to join as long as we follow rules
Cherry crest farm is having succah as are other attractions

Lancaster is being very nice

Special Considerations Regarding the Pandemic - UPDATED 9/9/2020

Nothing is more important than our commitment to the safety of our community members and guests. Given the information currently available, we will need to take certain precautions because of the pandemic, including limiting the number of men who can daven at the shul in accordance with state guidelines.

We expect to be able to accommodate all visitors, but since the number of visitors allowed in the shul will be changing over the summer as the County opens up, we can not know for certain in the event that there is a large influx of visitors.

Everyone who comes for minyan must wear a mask, no exceptions.

If demand is high, we will have to schedule more than one minyan.

We will be using the main upstairs shul only so that there is adequate space for social distancing. Do not sit within six feet of anyone else. All visitors to the shul must wear masks. There is hand sanitizer available at the entrance of the upstairs shul. All visitors must use the front main door (nearest to Columbia Avenue).

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 2:17 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Many attractions are advertising that they're having a sukkah on site.

Ok, big attractions only. But don't expect to be accomodated when you go off the beaten path. As a lot of recent threads have been started about. Nobody was asking about six flags on those.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 2:40 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Your post is disgusting. You're making it seem like people from Brooklyn are some filthy animals you need to "beware" of and stay away from.
What's the problem with people from Brooklyn going? If people follow guidelines, what's the issue? People from all cities are traveling. Travel was never banned.

Not filthy animals in the least bit, but very very nonchalant about the virus and not taking the proper precautions. Also, its now a zone with rising virus numbers.

Which other locations can boast the same credentials?

Blessing1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 2:55 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Not filthy animals in the least bit, but very very nonchalant about the virus and not taking the proper precautions. Also, its now a zone with rising virus numbers.

This does in no way make it right to single out a community in such a not nice way. There's nonchalance in every community, but because so many more people live in Brooklyn than out of town, you hear about the goings on in Brooklyn more.
There are loads of out of towners in NY now for Yamim Tovim. You won't see a thread bashing out of towners. Out of towners think they're better than everyone else.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

fleetwood

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 2:58 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:

Wrong! A few zip codes saw more cases,but in no way is Brooklyn a hot zone. Far from it in fact. Hence the rules on quarantining if you visit NY from most other states.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:21 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
This does in no way make it right to single out a community in such a not nice way. There's nonchalance in every community, but because so many more people live in Brooklyn than out of town, you hear about the goings on in Brooklyn more.
There are loads of out of towners in NY now for Yamim Tovim. You won't see a thread bashing out of towners. Out of towners think they're better than everyone else.

This! I actually know people from silver spring who are considering coming to NY. If us Brooklyners are such contaminated creatures who you should be running away from in fear, then why in heavens name are so many out of towners coming here for the holidays? ( and very possibly bringing corona with them and causing an uptick in our community)

HakarasHatov

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:01 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Your post is disgusting. You're making it seem like people from Brooklyn are some filthy animals you need to "beware" of and stay away from.
What's the problem with people from Brooklyn going? If people follow guidelines, what's the issue? People from all cities are traveling. Travel was never banned.
How would they know if the visitors from brooklyn, followed the guidlines, or even which people are from brooklyn and which people are local?

malki2

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:19 pm
IMHO the entire warning was completely unnecessary. From what I’ve heard, certain OOT communities (not mentioning names) already rival Sedom in their acceptance of outsiders during the Covid crisis.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics