Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
If I saw someone on Thurs & they tested positive next Wed
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:45 am
If I saw someone on Thursday & they tested positive the following Wednesday (yesterday) is that considered exposure/ do I have to quarantine/test?

how far back does contact tracing go?

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:54 am
You are only considered exposed if you had CLOSE contact (within 6 feet for 5-15 min) starting from the 2-3 days before the symptoms showed up.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:58 am
stillnewlywed wrote:
You are only considered exposed if you had CLOSE contact (within 6 feet for 5-15 min) starting from the 2-3 days before the symptoms showed up.

I had contact with them, but not 2-3 days before. Banging head Banging head

thanks for responding

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:00 am
In Israel it used to be 14 days, they shortened it to 5 days. (That doesn't mean it can't be a problem for up to 14 days. It can, but it's less likely and was too much for them to keep on top off, so deemed less important.)

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

thanks for responding

People usually don't test moments after they have symptoms. They wait, see if its just a 24 hour bug, whatever. So chances are that he had symptoms not long after you had contact.

If I were you, I would test. And if not quarantine, then maintain strict social distancing and mask wearing.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:18 am
If you're in NY, the local DOH is a helpful resource. Friends of mine (not in NYC) have had good experiences getting clarification from their local DOH.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:24 am
Can you find out when they had the first hint they were feeling off?
Then you’ll have a better idea

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:27 am
3 days before. Within 6 ft for 15 minutes.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:42 am
SixOfWands wrote:
People usually don't test moments after they have symptoms. They wait, see if its just a 24 hour bug, whatever. So chances are that he had symptoms not long after you had contact.

If I were you, I would test. And if not quarantine, then maintain strict social distancing and mask wearing.

what I heard is that they felt ill yesterday so went to get tested.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:44 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
If you're in NY, the local DOH is a helpful resource. Friends of mine (not in NYC) have had good experiences getting clarification from their local DOH.

do you have a phone number for someone to call? im in Brooklyn Can't Believe It

we have been so careful.

oy

amother
Lemon

NotInNJMommy wrote:

Not OP, but could also benefit from this. What's the best way to contact the local DOH (in Brooklyn if it matters)?

chanchy123

amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
In Israel it used to be 14 days, they shortened it to 5 days. (That doesn't mean it can't be a problem for up to 14 days. It can, but it's less likely and was too much for them to keep on top off, so deemed less important.)

But that’s only for symptomatic people. If you met someone asymptotic then it’s longer, I think 7 days before they tested positive.

banana123

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

thanks for responding

Up to 7 days before their positive test if they still don't have symptoms.

Otherwise up to and including 4 days before the onset of symptoms.

banana123

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:48 am
SixOfWands wrote:

If you test too early you will probably get a false negative.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:48 am
Does the exposure make a difference if it was indoors Or out or you were both in masks

amother
Black

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:49 am
I would not test if I don’t have symptoms myself.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:23 pm
If you go to the NYS DOH site, there is a link in the middle with the header "Local Health Departments" to local DOH websites and phone numbers.

https://health.ny.gov/

It looks like Kings County falls just under NYC's local health department. There's a phone number listed as: 347-396-4100

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:34 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Does the exposure make a difference if it was indoors Or out or you were both in masks

If either person was wearing a mask it's not considered exposure
I don't think indoors/outdoors makes a difference

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:44 pm

Probably the amount of social distancing is more relevant than masks, but masks could be relevant. Same with indoor vs. outdoor.

banana123

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:51 pm

No. If it was long enough to be considered exposure, it's long enough.

Scientifically, if you were both outdoors AND both of you wore working masks and wore them properly, you probably are not going to get sick. But it's hard to enforce differences like that (someone who wore a mask under his nose, who sat beside a coronavirus carrier who wore a mask on his chin, could just say "we both wore our masks over our noses" and get out of having to quarantine), so the guidelines don't allow differentiation.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics