Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Over-fulfilling halacha
Previous  1  2  3  Next

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:26 pm
FF, I see your point about BTs, but what's everyone else's excuse?

ecs

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:31 pm
zaq wrote:
FF, I see your point about BTs, but what's everyone else's excuse?

To need an excuse you would have to see it as a problem. Many people think it's a beautiful lifestyle and actively try to do more rather than getting by with the minimum. They see it as an act of love.

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:41 pm
ecs wrote:
To need an excuse you would have to see it as a problem. Many people think it's a beautiful lifestyle and actively try to do more rather than getting by with the minimum. They see it as an act of love.

you got on the bus a few stops after FF and I did. We were discussing the issue of fake tref. Yes, I DO see chasing after the illusion of wrongdoing as a problem. For a BT or giyoret who really misses her mom's sausage pizza, I can see the value. For FFBs, none.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:41 pm
ecs wrote:

This is why I emphasized functional people.

If you are constantly stressed about chumras, if you have religious OCD, if you feel guilty, resentful, or angry at Hashem, then that is something that obviously needs to be worked on. These issues have very little to do with Judaism, and a lot to do with either mental health, bad chinuk, or both.

If a person is healthy, then don't judge their choices.

If a person is unhealthy, then feel bad for them that they are not seeing the beauty of yiddishkeit.

If a person is looking down on you because of where you are holding, here's my motto.

"If they ain't paying your rent, then pay them no mind." Very Happy

ecs

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:43 pm
zaq wrote:
you got on the bus a few stops after FF and I did. We were discussing the issue of fake tref. Yes, I DO see chasing after the illusion of wrongdoing as a problem. For a BT or giyoret who really misses her mom's sausage pizza, I can see the value. For FFBs, none.

So sorry! Actually I know many people in my community who would never serve the fake trief in their homes. I would love to buy your cookbook FF!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:44 pm
zaq wrote:

Maybe because faux treif is yummy? If the food is kosher, it's not forbidden. Come over for dinner some time, and I'll "convert" you to my wicked ways. Wink

(Come to the Dark Side, we have real cheese on our Gardenburgers! Hiding )

ecs

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:47 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

If you are constantly stressed about chumras, if you have religious OCD, if you feel guilty, resentful, or angry at Hashem, then that is something that obviously needs to be worked on. These issues have very little to do with Judaism, and a lot to do with either mental health, bad chinuk, or both.

If a person is unhealthy, then feel bad for them that they are not seeing the beauty of yiddishkeit.

If a person is looking down on you because of where you are holding, here's my motto.

we are actually agreeing I think. I'm just way too tired to even attempt to be as eloquent as you!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:17 pm
ecs wrote:
we are actually agreeing I think. I'm just way too tired to even attempt to be as eloquent as you!

I hear you. I'm surprised I make as much sense as I do.

I pulled a couple of muscles putting the succah up yesterday, and today I'm paying the price for it.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:19 pm
Fake tref can be more kosher than plain kosher. It is sometimes mehadrin. I love it. I'm told it's not always the same. I don't mind

amother
Black

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:53 pm
for every treif flavor there is a kosher equivalent. hashem made a fish that taste like pork. For who ever wants to enjoy that taste. but if someone doesnt enjoy it, they dont have to just because its an option

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:10 pm
The important thing is that people should be taught what is and is not halacha. What is deoraita, what is d'rabbanan, what is Minhag Yisrael since the time of Rabbenu Gershom, what is Minhag Congregation Beth March of Concord, MA since the time of Rabbi Gershonowitz (served from 1929 till his death in 1979), what is Minhag Moskowitz family because Mr. Moskowitz has an aversion to fake tref, what is NOT Minhag Moskowitz because Mrs. Moskowitz has an aversion to religious ostentation, and what is minhag Moskowitz because Bubby Moskowitz saw this at a high school Shabbaton and thought it was the greatest thing since the splitting of the Red Sea.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:17 pm
zaq wrote:
The important thing is that people should be taught what is and is not halacha. What is deoraita, what is d'rabbanan, what is Minhag Yisrael since the time of Rabbenu Gershom, what is Minhag Congregation Beth March of Concord, MA since the time of Rabbi Gershonowitz (served from 1929 till his death in 1979), what is Minhag Moskowitz family because Mr. Moskowitz has an aversion to fake tref, what is NOT Minhag Moskowitz because Mrs. Moskowitz has an aversion to religious ostentation, and what is minhag Moskowitz because Bubby Moskowitz saw this at a high school Shabbaton and thought it was the greatest thing since the splitting of the Red Sea.

LOL

Can I get an "Amen" from the back row? Hooray

HakarasHatov

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:18 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Maybe because faux treif is yummy? If the food is kosher, it's not forbidden. Come over for dinner some time, and I'll "convert" you to my wicked ways. Wink

(Come to the Dark Side, we have real cheese on our Gardenburgers! Hiding )
LOL, is this an open invite, made my day.

BH Yom Yom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 7:57 pm
zaq and FF - Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

SO well-said!!

And FF - I would totally buy your cookbook!!

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 8:19 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

What often happens with the functional people is that they 'encourage' their children to accept upon themselves the same stringencies that they've accepted. And by encourage, I don't mean presenting to them as it being optional. And that's where the trouble lies.

What may be beautiful for one, can be a real burden for another. What may be really meaningful to the parent, can be a real turn off for the kid. So incorporating the parents' choices as traditions and minhagim is a big thing to consider. If every generation or so adds another minhag or two, what kind of inheritance are we passing on to our children?

So much of the current yiddishkeit is just minhagim and chumros, and as often is the case, kids who go OTD take much more issues with the minhagim and chumros than the actual halachos. If room for personal input in regards to chumros would be more accepted, yiddishkeit would be so much more beautiful and meaningful.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 4:28 am
Ruchel wrote:
There's also a slide to the left: women gmara groups etc

I dislike both!
Women learning gemara is NOT a slide to the left. It is NOT less frum.
Its different frum to you possibmy, but it is not slide to the keft. These women are very learned.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 4:31 am
cbsp wrote:
I find it interesting that many of the same imamothers who have a negative view of halachic chumros (which, if you look at some of the halachos, are deciding to not being meikil rather than being machmir) have a very different approach when it comes to being machmir about corona restrictions (even when being reassured that local ordinances don't require certain precautions, such as masking outside, etc)

So it's not a lack of understanding that there can be situations where one might choose to be more stringent. It's just that their choices might not match yours.
There is no comparison between being stringent on one's health and bringing chumrot to a halacha.
No comparison at all. Its like talking about monkeys and chocolate spread.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 5:36 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Women learning gemara is NOT a slide to the left. It is NOT less frum.
Its different frum to you possibmy, but it is not slide to the keft. These women are very learned.
I didn't say slight to lite MO (though there's many lite MO who just don't as Alliance Israelite). Being very learned doesn't mean frummer or less frum

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 5:46 am
Ruchel wrote:
I didn't say slight to lite MO (though there's many lite MO who just don't as Alliance Israelite). Being very learned doesn't mean frummer or less frum
Ruchel, you said sliding to the left and women with gemara in the same sentence. so thrn what did you mean?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 5:51 am
Left not less
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions