Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Less expensive substitute for spare ribs?

2cents

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:14 pm
Can I substitute a different cut of meat for a recipe that calls for spare ribs? A less expensive cut.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:37 pm
not sure if it's less expensive where you live but for years I've used flanken in my ribs recipe, ever since I lived in places where I couldn't get ribs. pretty sure they're the same cut of meat, just cut across the rib bones instead of alongside/ in between them.

mamma llama

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:41 pm
Odelyah wrote:
not sure if it's less expensive where you live but for years I've used flanken in my ribs recipe, ever since I lived in places where I couldn't get ribs. pretty sure they're the same cut of meat, just cut across the rib bones instead of alongside/ in between them.

We do this too. Cooked correctly, I actually prefer it to spare ribs!

shmosmom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:44 pm
Little cheaper- boneless flanken
Lot cheaper- see if your butcher has something called finger meat

Odelyah

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:48 pm
mamma llama wrote:
We do this too. Cooked correctly, I actually prefer it to spare ribs!

me too--because it's less messy/ more possible to eat with a fork and knife this way; hence a bit more yomtovdik IME Smile

however, flanken is still pretty expensive where I live, but I think the ribs cost more (now they sell them where I live) because there is a higher percentage of bone, so I still use flanken for ribs.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:50 pm
Why not bake a minute steak recipe with the spare ribs glaze that you want?

Odelyah

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:00 pm
I'm actually planning to make 2nd cut brisket with the (homemade) bbq sauce I usually with my ribs. any thoughts about this ra mom? Smile

2cents

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:05 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Why not bake a minute steak recipe with the spare ribs glaze that you want?

I'm very new to this. Just substitute minute steak for the ribs or do I bake it differently...?

ra_mom

Odelyah wrote:
I'm actually planning to make 2nd cut brisket with the (homemade) bbq sauce I usually with my ribs. any thoughts about this ra mom? Smile

Rub with oil, season brisket very well, pour a drop of water around the sides. Cover and bake as you would your regular brisket. 30 minutes before it finishes cooking, glaze the brisket and finish in the oven uncovered.

2cents

Google is telling me to try a chuck roast. Yae or nay?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:06 pm
2cents wrote:
I'm very new to this. Just substitute minute steak for the ribs or do I bake it differently...?

It depends on the recipe. What temp and for how long on the ribs recipe?

Odelyah

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:31 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Rub with oil, season brisket very well, pour a drop of water around the sides. Cover and bake as you would your regular brisket. 30 minutes before it finishes cooking, glaze the brisket and finish in the oven uncovered.

ok thanks-I hear about the oil, but my sauce has a lot of good seasoning, fresh garlic, etc. so when I make ribs, I don't add other spices. after browning the flanken in the oven I pour off excess fat, cover with the sauce and bake for maybe an hour on 350. do you you think I should still season the brisket? usually I make brisket by rubbing with pepper/garlic/paprika and putting on top of onions/mushrooms/celery/carrots, and pouring red wine on top and baking covered at 350. but I never made brisket with bbq sauce so I wasn't sure how to modify..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics