Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Hafrashat Challah

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:54 pm
Hi. Made challah and did the hafrasha. Have no means to burn the challah. Has anyone come across this before? Can I just throw in the garbage?

BatyaEsther

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 5:02 pm
I freeze it and burn it with my chametz.

cbg

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 5:07 pm
Some have the custom to double wrap it and throw it out

challahchallah

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 5:08 pm
cbg wrote:
Some have the custom to double wrap it and throw it out

Yeah, we wrap with plastic wrap before throwing out if burning isn’t an option.

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 6:30 pm
I learned you have to burn it to charcoal so it’s completely inedible and then discard respectfully. The stuff has kedusha, you know. You can collect multiple bits from many batches to keep in the freezer and burn them all together. As long as the challah was separated, the bread is kosher, even if the challah was not yet burned.

I put it right on the burner as close as possible to the flame, and after a while I turn it around so the part that was further from the flame can burn, too. Failing that I wrap in foil and throw on the oven floor to burn while the bread bakes.

Geulanow

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 8:16 pm
I heard you can put poison on it so it's inedible

essie14

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 12:10 am
I was taught to double wrap and put on the oven floor to burn while the challah is baking.

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 12:31 am
zaq wrote:
I learned you have to burn it to charcoal so it’s completely inedible and then discard respectfully. The stuff has kedusha, you know. You can collect multiple bits from many batches to keep in the freezer and burn them all together. As long as the challah was separated, the bread is kosher, even if the challah was not yet burned.

I put it right on the burner as close as possible to the flame, and after a while I turn it around so the part that was further from the flame can burn, too. Failing that I wrap in foil and throw on the oven floor to burn while the bread bakes.

We used to do this but then learned you can’t put in Oven at same time as other food is baking. I wish I could remember why.

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 12:32 am
BatyaEsther wrote:
I freeze it and burn it with my chametz.

The is for DD is sem so right now in freezer but biur chametz won’t be an option.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads