Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Guests

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 8:04 pm
Are you having guests in your sukkah for meals or keeping SD just with family this year?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 8:07 pm
Avraham, Yitzchak, Yaakov, Moshe...

We have two doorways opposite each other. We are ok with people sitting in the space between them, while we are seven feet away. But not for meals. Maybe dessert, with their food placed in front of them. You can't fit too many people there.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 8:30 pm
This year in Israel, it is illegal to eat in someone else's sukkah, so no guests this year.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 8:42 pm
No way!

silverlining3

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 8:48 pm
And if yes or no???
Will it help you with your decision?

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 8:50 pm
DS#1 built 2 completely separate, socially distanced sukkahs on his huge deck. He and wonderful DDIL have invited us to Shabbos lunch in their "guest sukkah." The sukkahs have lattice walls and are about 8 feet apart.

We have not invited guests to our own sukkah.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 8:53 pm
Unfortunately not this year. Sad

Usually we go to family for the first days and have other family come to us for the last days but we're all trying to stay safe so it's not happening this year. Who would have thought Pesachtime that we'd still be alone for Succos?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 8:54 pm
It's just us- myself, hubby and child.
I'm really looking forward.
(I was worried Pesach may be boring, but it was beautiful, so I'm hoping for the same.)
It's our first time doing each of them, married more than a few years.
Decision factors- can't go to family in another country, don't want to risk Covid, etc.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:12 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
DS#1 built 2 completely separate, socially distanced sukkahs on his huge deck. He and wonderful DDIL have invited us to Shabbos lunch in their "guest sukkah." The sukkahs have lattice walls and are about 8 feet apart.

Very innovative! That's such a smart idea if people can manage it.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:59 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:

Your DS and DIL sound so sweet!

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:11 pm
We invited by mom for the day meals. We are leaving the sukkah doors open, and set up another 6-foot table outside it. My family will be inside the sukkah. I will sit on one end of the outside 6 foot table, and my mom will sit on the other end. (As women, neither of us need to eat inside the sukkah, and like this I can keep her company and we can still be "together" with everyone as a family on the balcony).

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:22 pm
We received at least 4 invites which left me wondering if we are the only ones not having guests/ eating out...

One friend who invited me said it's such a quiet yomtov for her because four of her married children live in Israel, so they are all eating together and she's missing out. I was thinking ehm isn't there a lockdown? I guess not everyone is very strict about it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 6:03 am
Rutabaga wrote:
Very innovative! That's such a smart idea if people can manage it.
WhatFor wrote:
Your DS and DIL sound so sweet!

Yes, they are! They are very careful about masks, social distancing, etc. but are also the type of people to find creative solutions to problems.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 7:03 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
We received at least 4 invites which left me wondering if we are the only ones not having guests/ eating out...

One friend who invited me said it's such a quiet yomtov for her because four of her married children live in Israel, so they are all eating together and she's missing out. I was thinking ehm isn't there a lockdown? I guess not everyone is very strict about it.

There is a lockdown. It has been specifically stated that visiting succahs is illegal, and anyone caught in someone else's sukkah risks a fine of 500 NIS. Each.

But they're hardly the only ones doing it. If the regulations and the fines were rigorously imposed, we would never have to pay tax again - or people might actually follow the regulations.

The police are going to do their best to be on top of big gatherings, and preventing travel from one city to another. They're not going to be walking into every private sukkah and demanding that everyone show a teudat zehut to prove that they live there. Personal responsibility is another matter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics