Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Gefilte Fish in a non traditional way
1  2  Next

artsy

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:22 am
Any way that is easy but I can dress it up maybe with tomatoe sauce and veggies please?
I once had a recipe for homemade fish squares from ground fish that you bake in a 8 inch square pan.
I am wondering if I can defrost the loaf and do something like that.
Does anyone do something with the frozen loafs like this and enjoy it much more.
Specific recipes please?
Thank you!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:29 am
You can thaw it, and spread it in a well oiled pan. Cover with chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic, and bell pepper. You can add chopped parsley or cilantro if you like.

If you want a Moroccan flavor, add some harissa and curcumin to the tomatoes before you back everything.

Bake uncovered, or else it will all get soggy. You want the veggies to keep the fish moist, and only have the veggies half cooked so they're still a bit firm in the middle.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:32 am
Gefilta fish in tomato sauce and veggies is delicious!
Sauté onion till translucent
Add peppers, saush, tomatoes, saute till soft.
Put veggies on Gefilta fish loaf.
Mix 1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup tomato juice
1/2 cup sugar
Garlic powder
Salt
Pepper
Pour on to fish & bake on 350 for about 1 1/2 hours.

jewishmom6

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:32 am
if you want easy. You can pour salsa on the loaf of fish and add veggies like carrots, peppers.
bake 1 1/2 hrs covered.

I think BY cookbook has a recipe for fish balls or something of the like

artsy

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:33 am
Sounds good . Thanks. So cover the top with those veggies uncovered. No tomato paste sauce or anything?

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:34 am
I once was served gefilte fish that was thawed spread on parchment and jelly rolled cooked then spread with lox spread. It looked pretty and was different.

You can also thaw enough to push through a raw carrot and cook it like that . No taste change but an idea...

artsy

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:34 am
For Frantic Frummie the above question.
Thanks to other posters for those recipes/ideas

BatyaEsther

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:36 am
When I was young and newly married, we would make this.
First defrost the loaf.
Then take a loaf pan, pour 1/3 a jar of salsa on the bottom. Put the loaf on that, and then pour the rest of the jar on the top and sides.
Cover and cook in the oven at whatever temperature your oven is already on (350, 400-all good) for about 1/2 hour. Uncover and bake some more - not sure how long, probably about 1/2 hour. If the fish is still frozen, that works too, but you need to bake it covered for much longer.
It was delicious.
Sorry I can't give better directions.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:41 am
artsy wrote:
For Frantic Frummie the above question.
Thanks to other posters for those recipes/ideas

Chopped fresh tomatoes taste much better than canned, IMHO. You can certainly used diced canned tomatoes if you want to.

I don't add any salt, pepper, or sugar to my gefilte fish, because I find it already has all of those seasonings in the fish. I like the veggie mixture to be savory in contrast.

If you are serving Italian food, you can make a gefilte thawed and spread in a pan, and then topped with marinara or pizza sauce from a jar. Top with sliced mushrooms, sliced olives, and onion slivers. It's really cute! (Just make sure that you are not using the sweet gefilte fish. That would be gross.)

BTW, these recipes also work well with any mild white fish, like tilapia.

watergirl

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:43 am
I had a dish when I was a kallah at sheva brachos and never forgot it. The hostess told me how to make it:
Defrost the loaf. Spray the square pan. Press half on the bottom. Sautee green and red peppers and onions. Mushrooms if you like. Put those on top of the fish. Press the other half on top. Then either sprinkle paprika OR pour over marinara sauce. So good!

I just put a g fish in the oven. Super simple and sooo good. Frozen or thawed loaf in a sprayed pan. Pour a jar of marinara sauce. Bake covered and then uncovered. SO GOOD.

sub

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:50 am
Thaw 2 loaves regular gefitte and one loaf salmon gefite
Layer white pink white
Or put dill and lemon juice in one and layer white, pink, green
Bake in oven on 350

artsy

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:55 am
Yumm!
Great ideas.
Thank you everyone for sharing these.

Stars

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:59 am
Naomi Nachman has a honey garlic recipe that is yum.
You can find it on her ig page but basically you sauté onions and garlic, add some honey and salt, pour it over the frozen loaf without the paper, and bake for about an hour.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 11:27 am
Defrost gefilte fish. Saute onions and colorful peppers in oil in a frying pan. With wet hands, scoop and form golf-sized balls, flatten slightly and place over the onions/peppers. Fry on low flame (so center is cooked well) till golden, flip, and fry on the other side.

Serve with veggies.

mha3484

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 11:31 am
I have taken a defrosted loaf of fish formed into patties for this recipe then I made the sauce from the recipe. It was sooooooo good. I should really make it again

https://theviewfromgreatisland.....cipe/

jewishmom6

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 11:32 am
Stars wrote:
Naomi Nachman has a honey garlic recipe that is yum.
You can find it on her ig page but basically you sauté onions and garlic, add some honey and salt, pour it over the frozen loaf without the paper, and bake for about an hour.

yup I made that a few times. It is also really good.

Tzippy323

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 11:38 am
This is really good and pretty.

Defrost a gefilte fish loaf and a package of a sheet of puff pastry.
Grind 2 carrots, 1 large carrots Nixon, and a small stalk of celery. Mix with fish. Add 1 egg and get in there with your hands and mix well. Roll out your puff pastry to a large rectangle. Shmear the fish all over, leaving about 1/2 inch on all sides. Very gently roll up the pastry. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Score with a knife, brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350 until golden brown.

wifeandmore

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 1:22 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
I once was served gefilte fish that was thawed spread on parchment and jelly rolled cooked then spread with lox spread. It looked pretty and was different.

You can also thaw enough to push through a raw carrot and cook it like that . No taste change but an idea...

Can u explain this lox gefilte more plz

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 1:50 pm
Zaatar fish
https://jamiegeller.com/recipe.....fish/
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus