Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Pastrami roast in the oven?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 9:24 pm
I’d like to make a hot pastrami roast for shabbos day. I’ve never done this before. I know people do it in the crockpot, submerged in water. Wondering if there’s a way to make it in the oven and keep it in there overnight? Oven will be on 250. Or is the crockpot the only option.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 9:32 pm
Place pastrami roast in an appropriate size pan (for a brisket cut, use an extra deep 9x13). Add just 1/3 of an inch of water. Cover and bake at 300 for 4 hours (for 4 lb roast). Serve hot.

If you're doing it overnight instead, you're better off setting the oven to 200. Expect the roast to be pull apart soft. You won't get slices.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 9:35 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Place it in a size appropriate pan. Add just 1/3 of an inch of water. Cover and bake at 300 for 4 hours (for 4 lb roast). Serve hot.

If you're doing it overnight, you're better off setting the oven to 200. Expect the roast to be pull apart soft. You won't get slices.
thank you. I don’t know if I could leave my oven that low for my other needs, will it warm my food for the other meals that low?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 9:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thank you. I don’t know if I could leave my oven that low for my other needs, will it warm my food for the other meals that low?

It will warm the food but it does take longer.

agreer

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:40 am
Do you bake it in the plastic wrap?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 12:31 pm
agreer wrote:
Do you bake it in the plastic wrap?

I don't but I heard from people who put the sealed bag into water.

ttbtbm

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 2:18 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I don't but I heard from people who put the sealed bag into water.

I keep it in the bag. Does anyone know how early to put it in the oven? I’m guessing it’s already cooked - does that mean I can put it in right before I light?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 2:22 pm
ttbtbm wrote:
I keep it in the bag. Does anyone know how early to put it in the oven? I’m guessing it’s already cooked - does that mean I can put it in right before I light?

I was referring to a raw pastrami roast. But even raw, if you put it in at 6pm and serve it at 12pm, that's 18 hours and 8 more hours than it needs. So if yours is cooked, definitely don't put it in earlier.

ttbtbm

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 3:38 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I was referring to a raw pastrami roast. But even raw, if you put it in at 6pm and serve it at 12pm, that's 18 hours and 8 more hours than it needs. So if yours is cooked, definitely don't put it in earlier.

Thank you! Your advice is always appreciated Smile Have a good yom tov!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 4:46 pm
Good Yom Tov ttbtbm! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics