Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Two week old with multiple infections
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 2:37 pm
Since he is a little over a week old he seemed in pain. I couldn't figure out if its because of the bris or his belly button was hurting or maybe reflux. Last week a saw a big blister on his hand. We went to the dr and he said his 'bris' is infected and his belly and a wound on his toe and also the blister. We got a cream. Now over j''t he got some new blisters. He also has a rash on his whole body (could be acne). The cream is helping. His toe isnt red his arm is better, though he got a few new ones on the same spot. I made a new appointment for tomorrow morning. Is there anything specific I should ask the dr? Anyone have experience with something like this? What can it be?
Dr said its probably an infection that spread from one place to the next. Why is he getting new once if I'm treating it already Confused What

blessedjmom

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 2:53 pm
Mazel tov!
Oy that is so hard!
Can't offer advice just best wishes!! Refuah shleima.

And While youre busy taking care of your preciousl little bundle. Make sure youre taking care of yourself too!

Lotsa nachas! ♡♡♡

(Edited. I responded early on and was wrong. I agree with later posters. I hope we're mistaken. but this seems like it can be more serious than just a localized rash. Please rather be safe. Have your baby seen by a Dr. Asap)

Last edited by blessedjmom on Sat, Oct 03 2020, 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

heidi

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 4:11 pm
Take him to the ER
2 week old babies with multiple infections need to be seen immediately

banana123

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 4:36 pm
Do you have a Terem near you? That would seem to be your best bet.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 4:38 pm
heidi wrote:
Take him to the ER
2 week old babies with multiple infections need to be seen immediately
he doesnt have fever. Called hatzole to ask what to do they said that if he doesn't have fever it can wait till the morning. I just saw he has blisters in his mouth to Crying he is such a nebach and screams in pain every time he pees

banana123

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 4:40 pm
blessedjmom wrote:
Mazel tov!
Oy that is so hard!
Can't offer advice just best wishes!! Refuah shleima. May it clear up fast.
I'd try to go with more natural creams etc with such a young baby.

And While youre busy taking care of your preciousl little bundle. Make sure youre taking care of yourself too!

Lotsa nachas! ♡♡♡

This is bad advice. OP needs to be using what the doctors give her to combat her son's infections, not worrying about natural or gentle creams that may or may not be effective.

Depending on the particular infection, your advice could ch"v cost OP's baby his life.

banana123

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 4:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
he doesnt have fever. Called hatzole to ask what to do they said that if he doesn't have fever it can wait till the morning. I just saw he has blisters in his mouth to Crying he is such a nebach and screams in pain every time he pees

If it's spreading like this you really need to bring him in, ASAP. It sounds like this is not a localized infection but systemic. Please take him in BEFORE he develops a fever, because by the time he develops a fever it may already be too late. The doctors need time to conduct tests and find out what is wrong, and that can sometimes take several hours. By the time he develops a fever those several hours may come at a very, very high price.

Please, take him in now. I'm begging you. He needs to be seen. You would much rather him develop a fever while you're waiting for his test results to come back, than have him develop a fever outside the hospital and have to wait for intake, tests, and only then the results.

banana123

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 4:48 pm
BTW blisters plus the timing makes me (and DH, who is following this) think it's probably herpes.

For the scare factor, because I really really want you to go in, and because this doesn't sound like a typical "it'll all be okay" herpes infection, I quote:

Quote:
Herpes simplex infections can be divided into three categories:

localized skin infection— small, fluid-filled blisters on the skin and around the eyes and mouth that burst, crust over, and heal

encephalitis —an inflammation of the brain, which can cause problems with brain and spinal cord function, including seizures

disseminated herpes infection— the most dangerous type of herpes infection. The herpes virus is spread throughout your child’s body and can affect multiple organs, including the liver, brain, lungs, and kidney.
A baby infected with herpes may not have all the symptoms of the disease.

Most symptoms surface by the end of the baby's first week (this is talking about mother to baby; your baby may have been exposed by the mohel) while more severe central nervous system problems will not appear until the baby's second week.

If left untreated, encephalitis and disseminated herpes infections are potentially fatal.

http://www.childrenshospital.o.....auses

Your baby needs to be seen NOW.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 5:21 pm
He has it already since Thursday evening. I went to the Dr on Friday he gave the cream. Since then the places I used the cream one, have become better but he got new ones.
It didn't get dramatically worse. I'll wait for the Dr tomorrow morning (terem won't help me with such a small baby only hospital will). I do want to know what to ask Dr about and was wondering if anyone ever had something like this

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 5:23 pm
banana123 wrote:
If it's spreading like this you really need to bring him in, ASAP. It sounds like this is not a localized infection but systemic. Please take him in BEFORE he develops a fever, because by the time he develops a fever it may already be too late. The doctors need time to conduct tests and find out what is wrong, and that can sometimes take several hours. By the time he develops a fever those several hours may come at a very, very high price.

Please, take him in now. I'm begging you. He needs to be seen. You would much rather him develop a fever while you're waiting for his test results to come back, than have him develop a fever outside the hospital and have to wait for intake, tests, and only then the results.
the Dr Friday wasn't particularly worried...

banana123

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 5:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
the Dr Friday wasn't particularly worried...

Because on Friday it looked like a localized infection. Now, from what you're describing, the symptoms are showing that it is NOT localized but systemic.

I can almost promise you that if the doctor you saw Friday saw your baby now and heard what you'd written here, his response would not have been to provide a cream but to provide either an oral antibiotic or to send you to the ER, and possibly with an ambulance.

Please go.

banana123

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 5:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He has it already since Thursday evening. I went to the Dr on Friday he gave the cream. Since then the places I used the cream one, have become better but he got new ones.
It didn't get dramatically worse. I'll wait for the Dr tomorrow morning (terem won't help me with such a small baby only hospital will). I do want to know what to ask Dr about and was wondering if anyone ever had something like this

It is spreading, and what you've received is apparently not the proper treatment.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 5:39 pm
Double post

banana123

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 5:49 pm
Lack of a fever does not necessarily indicate lack of a medical emergency for a newborn baby.

Quote:
When Your Newborn Has a Fever

As adults, we have a tightly controlled thermostat to help regulate our body temperature. When we’re cold, we shiver to help raise our temperature, and when we’re too hot, we sweat to help cool ourselves down. These mechanisms, on the other hand, are not completely developed in newborns. What’s more, newborns lack the insulating fat layer that older babies and children develop.

Because a newborn's temperature regulation system is immature, fever may or may not occur with infection or illness. However, fever in babies can be due to other causes that may be even more serious. Call your baby's doctor immediately if your baby younger than 2 months old has a rectal temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher. This requires an urgent evaluation by your doctor

Fever in newborns may be due to:

Infection Fever is a normal response to infection in adults, but only about half of newborns with an infection have a fever. Some, especially premature babies, may have a lowered body temperature with infection or other signs such as a change in behavior, feeding, or color.

https://www.nationwidechildren.....fever

banana123

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 5:54 pm
Meanwhile, do yourselves a favor and call up your kupah's hotline to get a hafnaya to the ER from a nurse, just in case.

That way you don't have to deal with getting the hafnaya when you're rushing out to the hospital.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 6:15 pm
I'm wondering how would a newborn get herpes? Isn't it a std?

banana123

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 6:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm wondering how would a newborn get herpes? Isn't it a std?

Yes, it is an STD.

But if the mohel did metzitza b'peh and he had an active oral herpes infection....

If your doctor doesn't suspect herpes then mention the metzitza b'peh. (Most of the time it is safe, but sometimes you get a boneheaded mohel and the baby ends up with herpes.)

If the herpes stays localized then generally the baby is fine. But from your description it sounds like (and I haven't seen the baby and am not a doctor) disseminated herpes, which can be very dangerous and needs treatment ASAP.

If I were you I would be concerned about taking my baby in due to coronavirus, and be dragging my feet, but I am pretty sure I would go, and if I refused DH would call an ambulance and say he'll take the baby and pick up formula at the hospital if I refuse to go. And I would end up going.

You should too. Better safe than sorry, especially with a baby this young.

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 6:20 pm
Can be contracted by the bris mila...

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 6:29 pm
Read this link for more info.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/.....rpes/

amother
Black

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 7:03 pm
OP, mazel tov on your new baby! You must be exhausted--a new baby at such a busy time of year, and it seems as though your baby has been in pain for much of this time. I'm so sorry. I hope you get to rest up and enjoy your baby at some point!

But I'm just adding my voice in here and begging you to take your baby to the ER now. Newborns can go from seeming okay to very, very sick in a very short time, r"l. Their bodies are so small that it doesn't take much for an infection to quickly spread throughout the entire body.

I (like everyone here, I'm sure) would like nothing better than for you to update us in a few hours to say, wow, was that a waste of time, we went to the ER, they checked him out, and it's nothing. That would definitely be the best possible outcome. But this is really a case where it's better safe than sorry. It's so hard to go into the hospital, especially at your stage, and especially when you're not sure you need to. But please go in.

We'll be waiting for your updates.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics