Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What do you think of the name Judy?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 1:04 pm
I like it. It’s the sort of “old fashion” (ie. classic) name that can easily swing back around and be young again. I agree with the poster that said to make it officially Judith with the nickname Judy. I can picture a little girl called Judy and I think it’s cute!

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 1:05 pm
I prefer Judith. In addition, if you like the sound of Judy maybe you'd also like Ruby?

Last edited by amother on Mon, Apr 19 2021, 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 1:46 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
It's nice but I picture older women with the name.

Like Karen's mother

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 1:49 pm
My 5 year old niece has a Judy in her class. I think it’s old-fashioned-cute, and pretty/classic enough that it won’t get embarrassingly dated.

I agree with others about using Judith as a legal name, but my mom is named Jodi and that’s on her drivers license and everything. It could work either way.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 1:55 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
I like it. It’s the sort of “old fashion” (ie. classic) name that can easily swing back around and be young again. I agree with the poster that said to make it officially Judith with the nickname Judy. I can picture a little girl called Judy and I think it’s cute!

Its not unheard of. Judith ranked 821 in 2019. Probably poised for a comeback. IMNSHO, if you like it, go for it.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 2:17 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
My 5 year old niece has a Judy in her class. I think it’s old-fashioned-cute, and pretty/classic enough that it won’t get embarrassingly dated.

I agree with others about using Judith as a legal name, but my mom is named Jodi and that’s on her drivers license and everything. It could work either way.

Jodi is a different name AFAIK. I don't think Judith is a "classic" name but definitely well known and respectable and very cutest as Judy.

essie14

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 12:57 pm
My 3 year old has a Judy in her class. Shes super adorable.

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 2:31 pm
JMO but I think Judith should be the name on the birth certificate even if you all call her Judy, It will be easier for her as an adult.

camp123

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 2:41 am
From the timing of the post I assume you are in Israel. Not a great name for Israel but ok if you are in usa

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 2:49 am
I wouldn't give it myself because it's old-fashioned. But I wouldn't cringe if my friend gave it to their daughter, and I wouldn't feel sorry for a child named Judy. 6/10.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 1:14 pm
Amarante wrote:

But a name like Judy - nothing wrong with having an old fashioned name - again within reason as I don't think a name like Bertha is ever going to be a good choice.

I'm rolling on the floor laughing. Bertha was the name of my beautiful, beloved grandmother born in 1915, may her memory be for a blessing. I felt pulled to name our first daughter after my grandmother but, BERTHA? Yeah it took us 9 months to figure out a similar alternative that we would be satisfied with. Such an ordeal!

Back on topic, I'm aware that old fashioned names are making a comeback but Judith isn't one of them. Not that trends should inform one's choice of name! Unless you're looking at a name like Bertha, which for some reason has become the butt of jokes, go with what you like.

etky

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 1:57 pm
I don't know.
I'm in my mid-fifties.
Growing up, literally every other girl was Judy (the others were Debby Very Happy ).
I still have numerous friends and acquaintances with the name. Whenever I mention one of them to DH he has to ask: which Judy?
I know that retro names are trendy now but ironically I don't think that Judy is retro enough to be trendy quite yet. Give it another 20 years or so...
Of course if you don't care about that then go ahead and use the name.
It's a perfectly nice and classic name.
Also - she can be Judith if she wants and that actually sounds less dated and more in step with the 'retro-vibe'.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 9:06 pm
That's my mothers name and she's not the nicest woman to say the least..... I hope she lives a long life so I dont feel/get pressured to name after her. (This name or her other hebrew/legal names).

So no I dont like the name by association. But objectively, its a classy enough name. I agree with naming the baby judith and calling her judy.

Java

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 9:13 pm
To me it sounds super outdated

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 9:33 pm
I have a 42 year old friend, a 60 year old neighbor, and my DD has a 18 yo friend-all named Judy.
I think it is kind of classic. Not overdone or uncommon. I think it works, I like it.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 9:37 pm
jade- off topic but Bertha or Berta as I'm pretty sure it was pronounced was my grandmother as well. Her hebrew name was breindel but my husband doesn't like yiddish names. We ended up named after her sister, my other grandmother and her daughter but not her even though she was a lovely lady...

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 9:39 pm
sounds like an old fashioned secular name in the US in the 60's and 70's

Yehudis and Yehudit are beautiful classic jewish names

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 9:51 pm
etky wrote:
I don't know.
I'm in my mid-fifties.
Growing up, literally every other girl was Judy (the others were Debby Very Happy ).
I still have numerous friends and acquaintances with the name. Whenever I mention one of them to DH he has to ask: which Judy?
I know that retro names are trendy now but ironically I don't think that Judy is retro enough to be trendy quite yet. Give it another 20 years or so...
Of course if you don't care about that then go ahead and use the name.
It's a perfectly nice and classic name.
Also - she can be Judith if she wants and that actually sounds less dated and more in step with the 'retro-vibe'.

I agree. It’s not old enough to be trendy yet. My moms generation has a lot of Judys, but it’s the names from my grandma’s generation that are coming back into vogue.

nylon

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 10:34 pm
I agree--not quite old enough. Give it another 10 years and it will be back.

Sesame

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 8:10 am
I picture an old lady
But it’s a lovely name
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names