Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
After 120, do you want your grandchildren to name after you?
Previous  1  2  3

twizzlers1

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 5:16 am
Not if it means causing a family feud. Our family's never got involved in what we named our kids and I hope that my kids will have the same experience. I don't think I would be sad if they were happy with the name but would never want it at the expense of anything.

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 9:56 am
One consolation for those who dislike their names only because they're 'old lady' names: by the time your g-children are parents, your name may be back in fashion. Old-Lady names like Emma, Sophia, Charlotte, Olivia and Amelia are among the top ten girl baby names in the US today.

Not Gertrude, but hey, if Emma can come back, so can Gertrude.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 10:03 am
zaq wrote:
One consolation for those who dislike their names only because they're 'old lady' names: by the time your g-children are parents, your name may be back in fashion. Old-Lady names like Emma, Sophia, Charlotte, Olivia and Amelia are among the top ten girl baby names in the US today.

Not Gertrude, but hey, if Emma can come back, so can Gertrude.

Gertrude, Hortense, and Edna aren't coming back any time soon.

Then again, we are approaching the day when we have Bubbie Moon and Zaydie Rain -- such old-fashioned names -- so who knows.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 10:44 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
My parents also added a beautiful name to my not so pretty (although typical) second name. And when I was older I chose to be called by the prettier name. So I’m grateful they gave it as an option. And of course I’d love if my descendants would use it, but if for some reason, with time the name became ugly, I certainly wouldn’t want a child to have a name she didn’t like. I try to name my kids nice names, or if the name is boring in my opinion, then I try to come up with a pretty/cute nickname that I like better.

Right I’m so happy at least they have a beautiful name, if they ever decide to name after me in the first place.
In 2nd grade I went by that name for almost 3 months! On the first day of school my teacher was taking attendance and called out “Ugly Name?” and I raised my hand and said “No I go by Pretty Name.” AND NOBODY STOPPED ME. So everyone called me Pretty Name until PTA when my parents are like “hey we’re Ugly Name’s parents” and my teacher’s like “....whodat?” LOL took a sec to figure it out.

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 10:47 am
I love my name.
I’d definitely would love it if my future jewish descendants are named after me and my husband!!
Maybe we can make it a grandson or granddaughter thing.

Like our children will name their kids our names and then those kids will have kids and those kids will name their kids after me and my husband

Who knows tho.

Last edited by PeanutMama on Tue, Oct 06 2020, 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 10:47 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
You can still change it.

Ask your husband to call you how you like it.
Change your name on your email, and family chats.
Introduce yourself to new people that way too.

Exactly how would my parents react? They’re still alive, and they would hate me for it.
Yknow what’s actually really funny? A few days before my husband got my shidduch resume, he and his friends were going over a list of ugly/unusual names, and my name made the list! And then he got my resume and he was like “lol ugly name”. Now we’re marrrriiiiieeeeed hehehehehe

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 11:19 am
To me it's not about the name. It's just that I hope by 120 I will be a good enough person with good enough relationships that my children will want to honor their child with my name. I neither love nor hate my name, same for one of my kids, the name was fine but not what I would have chosen out of a hat except that it was a very beloved relative and I feel it's an honor for my child to carry their name and helps us all remember the person's legacy.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 2:51 pm
I literally made their parents so they'd better... I accept second name.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics