Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Tips for a First Time Teacher?
Previous  1  2

mom39

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 2:26 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
And that your buttons are closed, that your slip isn't sticking out, that you are wearing the same pair of shoes on both feet, that your skirt isn't dirty, that you're wearing nursing pads if you're a nursing mom, and that the zipper of your skirt is centered exactly in the back and not a bit twisted to the side..... LOL

But yes, I do have an extra pair of hose in my briefcase which in my over 15 years of teaching I've used once when I got splashed up by mud in bad weather on the way to school.

That may sound funny, but I actually once came to school and another teacher pointed out to me that I was wearing 2 different shoes!! They were both black with a gold buckle but not the same!! I guess I was distracted when I quickly put on the shoes, they were next to each other, and I mistakenly thought it was a pair!
Needless to say, I was horrified, went back home to change one shoe, and missed first period!!

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 2:38 pm
mom39 wrote:
That may sound funny, but I actually once came to school and another teacher pointed out to me that I was wearing 2 different shoes!! They were both black with a gold buckle but not the same!! I guess I was distracted when I quickly put on the shoes, they were next to each other, and I mistakenly thought it was a pair!
Needless to say, I was horrified, went back home to change one shoe, and missed first period!!

There's a reason I knew to list all of these things... Can't Believe It

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 2:56 pm
If a girl begs to go out, even if its last class, please let. I remember in 8th grade, I got my period and the teacher refused to let me leave cuz school is over in twenty minutes and everything cld wait twenty minutes. Well not everything cld.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 3:08 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
If a girl begs to go out, even if its last class, please let. I remember in 8th grade, I got my period and the teacher refused to let me leave cuz school is over in twenty minutes and everything cld wait twenty minutes. Well not everything cld.

True. What I found works is that I look at the girl straight in her eyes and ask her, "Do you absolutely need to leave right now?" I show the girl that I trust her to re-think her request and respond accordingly. The reason she feels she must leave doesn't matter to me, but if the girl answers back respectfully yes, I allow her to leave.

Rosie89

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:52 pm
I teach high school, but I would assume this would apply to 8th grade as well:
1. Be consistent and fair in your expectations, policies, and consequences for not meeting those expectations or following policies. And make sure to be explicit regarding those expectations/policies/consequences so they know what to expect.
2. Be strict but be empathetic. Students will be more motivated to work hard if they like you and they are more apt to like you if they get the sense that you like them.
3. Focus on engagement. Nothing is more boring than a class that’s all lecture and students don’t really learn that way. Yes, they may be able to spit back what you said, but that doesn’t mean they’ll understand it or be able to transfer the skills they learned to other areas. You can create engagement through group work, activities, and discussions (students love debates). When possible, try to connect the material to their lives.
4. If you’re vulnerable with them (when appropriate), they’ll be open to you. This might be more specific to my subject (literature/writing) because I want them to feel okay sharing their feelings (in poetry, memoirs, etc.) so I often share samples of my own writing.
5. Read Understanding by Design. It’s an excellent book on lesson planning and creating assessments. You want to make sure that assessment actually show you what students know—avoid tricky questions (like true and false), questions that are easy to guess, and questions on tiny details that aren’t important to know. Focus on questions that allow students to demonstrate their understanding and explain their thinking.

Tzippy323

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 9:43 am
Don’t teach ‘at’ your students. Even eighth graders are old enough to be included in the teaching process. Use a method known as scaffolding which will allow your students to be a part of every lesson. Be prepared everyday! Eighth graders will eat you for lunch if you don’t present yourself as being knowledgeable and prepared. When you plan your lessons, try to anticipate the questions that might be asked, and have the answers for them. Don’t sit with your nose in a teacher’s edition because that paints a picture of not knowing the material securely. In this important year, you are helping to transition these girls to high school. Teach them responsibility, give them many opportunities to build their thinking skills, and never, ever, tell a student they have given an incorrect response in class. If you call on someone, and their answer is wrong, say ok, does anyone have another answer? This avoids embarrassing a girl who is at a sensitive age, and she will know she is wrong without attention being called to it. They will all love you for that. Have a mazeldige yur.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 10:48 pm
Rosie89 wrote:
I teach high school, but I would assume this would apply to 8th grade as well:
1. Be consistent and fair in your expectations, policies, and consequences for not meeting those expectations or following policies. And make sure to be explicit regarding those expectations/policies/consequences so they know what to expect.
2. Be strict but be empathetic. Students will be more motivated to work hard if they like you and they are more apt to like you if they get the sense that you like them.
3. Focus on engagement. Nothing is more boring than a class that’s all lecture and students don’t really learn that way. Yes, they may be able to spit back what you said, but that doesn’t mean they’ll understand it or be able to transfer the skills they learned to other areas. You can create engagement through group work, activities, and discussions (students love debates). When possible, try to connect the material to their lives.
4. If you’re vulnerable with them (when appropriate), they’ll be open to you. This might be more specific to my subject (literature/writing) because I want them to feel okay sharing their feelings (in poetry, memoirs, etc.) so I often share samples of my own writing.
5. Read Understanding by Design. It’s an excellent book on lesson planning and creating assessments. You want to make sure that assessment actually show you what students know—avoid tricky questions (like true and false), questions that are easy to guess, and questions on tiny details that aren’t important to know. Focus on questions that allow students to demonstrate their understanding and explain their thinking.

Understanding by Design is the single most effective teaching technique in all my years of teaching. Actually, Responsive Classroom is, but UbD is a close runner up!

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 10:53 pm
please be kind to the girls who dont have it all together.

keeplearning

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 8:47 pm
Treat your students the way you would like to be treated or the way you would like teachers to treat your own children!

OP, you can private message me. I have something that may be very helpful for you.

ImmaBubby

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 4:15 pm
Responsive Classroom is a must, especially for an eighth grade in 2020. The anxiety level of these poor girls must be through the roof after last year’s cancelled trips and zoom graduations.
You need to show that you understand where they’re coming from, and you can certainly do that while maintaining classroom control.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 6:00 pm
Strict in the beginning
Ask them to fill in a paper with info
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics