Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Cuomo- Breaking halacha to save a life?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 8:18 pm
Cuomo claims that he is putting in restrictions to save lives and he apparently cited that Jews are allowed to break halacha to save lives. Can you break halacha even if its only potential danger but not danger itself? At what stage can halacha be broken to save a life?

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 8:25 pm
What I learned: for Shabbos, if someone even suspects the issue is pikuach nefesh, or close enough to pikuach nefesh, they are to take any and all actions even breaking Shabbos. The din is that if someone were to wait to go get specific clarification from a beis din on that particular situation, the beis din is to label them as shedding blood.

nchr

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 8:26 pm
Yes you are mechalel yom kippur over a sufik pikuach nefesh...

yksraya

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 8:36 pm
Does coumo have smicha? Since when can he paskan for us?

We of course know that pekuach nefesh docha shabbos etc. We all have das torah to tell us what the halachic espects are pertaining to these difficult times.

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 8:40 pm
yksraya wrote:

We of course know that pekuach nefesh docha shabbos etc. We all have das torah to tell us what the halachic espects are pertaining to these difficult times.

This. Nor is Cuomo a medical doctor. I think that all of us deserve some transparency with how many serious cases and deaths are currently in the hospitals, and what the real risks are of transmission if children are in in schools with masks and plexiglass dividers and divided into cohorts.

mother@4

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 8:41 pm
We all have Rabbonim to tell us what to do, the Agudath Yisroal is filling a complain in court against the Governor, obviously they have rabonim who think different then the Governor

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 8:43 pm
Who is his local orthodox rabbi? Now He is suddenly Jewish? Would be funny if it weren’t so tragic

Cuomo or aguda....um yes I will stick with the Agudath!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 9:30 pm
Scratching Head What broken halachos is he talking about? Not davening with a minyan?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 9:52 pm
This is how I remember it and remind my family when questioning a specific situation “when in doubt, choose life”, Thats the mitzvah. Keeping a mitzvah to risk a life is an aveira.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 9:54 pm
yksraya wrote:

oh how I wish people would follow daas torah in these times

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 9:55 pm
yksraya wrote:

Yes, exactly. Thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics