Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Humidifiers: cool mist or hot mist?

anon

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 12:04 pm
I need to buy a humidifier for my baby...he has a cold and is having trouble sleeping at night.

I read in "What to Expect when you're expecting" and I also heard from a friend that you should get hot mist because it purifies the water so you're not breathing in the impurities from the water.

My doctor says to get a cool mist because it works for more illnesses. He didn't mention anything about impurities.

Does anyone have any information about this? I'm not sure what to get.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 12:21 pm
Cool. Works wonders for croup and other respiratory illnesses, and is safer in case a child knocks it.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Jan 06 2008, 12:10 am
Definatly cool. Not a danger if it gets knocked, plus according to my rav at least you can refill it on Shabbot because you are not cooking the water, only spinning it around.

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Jan 06 2008, 1:25 am
I bought a hot one and am very unhappy with it. ds's room has no windows, and he sleeps with the door shut so when I used it, the room turned into a sauna.

OTOH, if u decide to get it, and u want to buy it off me for cheap, I'd love to get rid of it (I only used it once)

Newsie

Post Sun, Jan 06 2008, 1:47 am
My doctor told me to buy a cool mist one. I use it in all my kids rooms- it makes a huge difference. It won't clear up the cold totally, but it'll make it a lot more pleasant in the room. Just make sure you clean it frequently and well.

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sun, Jan 06 2008, 2:50 am
The cool mist humidifiers have a special filter that filters the water and removes impurities. A pediatrician once told me that the cold mist penetrates the system more readily than steam.
I presume that it uses far less electricity because there is no heating element.
Personally, I am very happy with my cool mist humidifier.

ESB

Post Sun, Jan 06 2008, 3:34 am
Is the cool mist himidifier expensive?

DD sleeps in my room will it make me uncomfortable or will it help for mine and dh cold too?

drumjj

Post Sun, Jan 06 2008, 3:59 am
I was told cold mist is better than hot I want to get one with cool mist aswel

anon

Post Sun, Jan 06 2008, 9:03 am
I ended up getting the cold mist, in case anyone was wondering Wink

ESB wrote:
Is the cool mist himidifier expensive?

DD sleeps in my room will it make me uncomfortable or will it help for mine and dh cold too?

They basic ones run between $30-$50. It shouldn't make you uncomfortable, it should help you as well.

jemappelle

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 5:59 pm
our dr. recommends hot mist . he says " steam them " and we did that regularly with ds#1. his room was like a sauna. we felt that there wasnt a safety issue as he did not climb out of his crib. now that ds#2 is on the scene we use a cool mist -(witch is recommended by another dr in town) - feel its safer with ds#1 running around. also with ds#2 in our room- the hot mist would be unbearable for me. the company we use for the cool mist is vornado.

MahPitom

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 9:09 pm
The only time to use hot vapor is for sinus. And it’s dangerous around kids so stay away from those. I’m a big fan of cold mist humidifiers. If you are consistent, you can really avoid croup.

avimom

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 9:26 pm
my doc told us cool mist- and it really makes a difference!! It's just a pain to clean...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics