Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Moms of late talker (3+) what was the problem?
Previous  1  2

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 12:00 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Methylation issues. Supplementing b12 and folate increased speech exponentially over here.

Wow. How did you discover this and how did you supplement?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 12:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here
Thank you all for the responses!
We ruled out hearing issues and are pursuing treatment now.
I was curious about how it all turned out for others.
I appreciate all the tips. Unfortunately am not living in the US so services are not so readily available.
I’m the kind of mom that reads to my kids as much as I can and have been working on getting him to draw out and properly pronounce his words. I thought it would be enough because it was with one of my other kids but sadly I was mistaken.
I am scared of a diagnosis. He is so sweet and happy and brings us so much joy I’d be devastated to have him perceived negatively by others.

I would not worry so much about how your child is pronouncing his words (some sounds are later developing, you can look up a chart on ASHA's website), so long as he is attempting to imitate them or approximate the words.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 12:08 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Wow. How did you discover this and how did you supplement?
we were seeing an integrative pediatrician at the time who worked with a lot of kids with developmental delays and asd on the medical end of things. He did some blood tests and said he could tell based on symptoms and his experience with other children that this may be a cause for us. We supplemented with a liquid methylated b complex and extra b12. We were also doing some other things at the same time like diet, and treating yeast overgrowth but I think the b12 helped the most.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 2:24 am
My son didn't talked till he was 3yr when we toke him to a speech therapist and he Schedule him for a hearing test but he didn't passed it to make a long story short he got hearing aids we went through a hard time but today he is doing good b"h

ora_43

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 6:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am scared of a diagnosis. He is so sweet and happy and brings us so much joy I’d be devastated to have him perceived negatively by others.

I hear this, but I wouldn't worry about it for now.

He's still going to be the same kid no matter what. The only thing a diagnosis will do will give you and his treatment team a sense of what tools to use with him.

Anyone who you can't trust to react well to any label he gets doesn't have to know.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 7:59 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
My son didn't talked till he was 3yr when we toke him to a speech therapist and he Schedule him for a hearing test but he didn't passed it to make a long story short he got hearing aids we went through a hard time but today he is doing good b"h

What does speech delay has with hearing loss?

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:03 am
Autism. Speech therapy combined with other therapies helped a ton with his communication.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:05 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
What does speech delay has with hearing loss?

Everything! If a kid can’t hear, he’s missing basically all verbal communication, plus if he can’t hear himself babble, he’s missing that practice too. Hearing evals are usually the first step in diagnosing speech issues.

ImmaBubby

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 12:10 pm
There can be many reasons for a delay in speech but pediatricians aren't doing anyone any favors by saying that 3+ is ok.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics