Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
As a vegan what do you feel are most essential kitchen tools

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 9:44 am
And what do you use them for.
How do you keep to a vegan diet and not let it take over your life
Or always be hungry because can't rely on quick and easy

MiriFr

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 9:57 am
Oooo I’m so good at it!!!
Air fryer for sure is #1.
I also stock up on Impossible Beef (not beyond beef. Impossible is way better!) and canned jackfruit. Try to find Gardein products, they’re also really good.

Are you raw vegan? Or just plain vegan? Because you can have tons of yummy food- pizza (with Daiya cheese), pasta, oat milk ice cream, So Delicious makes they’re own version of flips yogurts. I make bomb pancakes and waffles and sushi. Falafel is vegan.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 9:59 am
I am not actually a vegan but want to move in that direction and am trying to get all this info so I won't fail miserably

MiriFr

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 10:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am not actually a vegan but want to move in that direction and am trying to get all this info so I won't fail miserably

My baby has an animal protein allergy, so I was vegan while I nursed him. Now, I have lots of heaven vegan recipes for him. I know all the hacks.
What’s your favorite food? I’ll help you find substitutes.

Waffles

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 10:44 am
Where can you get kosher canned jackfruit?

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 10:48 am
I'm not sure how specific any of this is to vegan-ness, but here are my answers.

Instant pot - I cook a lot of dried beans from scratch and the instant pot is great for this.

Food processor-great for chopping and grating veggies efficiently and pureeing things for sauces. I use mine almost every day.

Slap chop - I use this for chopping small amounts of things (like one onion or a handful of nuts) where it seems like a waste or too much of a hassle to use the food processor.

Those are probably my top three. After this, it depends on what kind of food you enjoy or think you'll be making. IF you like smoothies, a higher-end blender like a vitamix is pricey but great. If you like to make your own breads and doughs from scratch, same for a standing mixer.

Happy to give more advice or answer more questions if you have them. I've been a vegetarian for about fifteen years and a vegan for five of those. Smile It is definitely a great time to be vegan now - so many more choices in stores than even a few years ago!

Frumme

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 10:51 am
I'm not vegan but we're pretty plant based in my household.

Things we find very helpful:
-Rice cooker!!! Get a good one. It's amazing to be able to cook rice while also steaming your bok choy using the steam basket simultaneously.
-Good food processor to chop & shred cabbage, carrots, etc.
-Sharp knives and knife sharpener
-Sharp peelers (straight and serrated), julienne tools
-Frozen basil & garlic cubes, vegetables like peppers/broccoli/peas
-Lots of canned vegetables and legumes (black/red/pinto/chick/etc beans; canned green beans, spinach, mushrooms, corn)
-Lots of spices
-Griddle to make things like veggie & bean burgers with ease
-Wok. Stir fries for days! Take some veggies, tofu, and cashews and stir fry with rice or pasta. Add a sauce and voila, easy dinner

MiriFr

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 10:55 am
Waffles wrote:

Wegmans near Lakewood. Company is Natures Charm. The one in water has a hechsher.
My husband (a kashrus guy) says I can use the one in brine even without the hechsher, so I’ll get from Trader Joe’s. But AYLOR.

Frumme

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 10:57 am
Waffles wrote:

If you happen to live in the South, you can usually find it at Winn-Dixie in the Asian section. Otherwise, Whole Foods or Fresh Market might have it up in the tristate area. I know Amazon also has kosher jackfruit, but the markup is insane....

Waffles

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 11:35 am
Quote:
Natures Charm. The one in water has a hechsher.
My husband (a kashrus guy) says I can use the one in brine even without the hechsher, so I’ll get from Trader Joe’s. But AYLOR

Thank you

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 4:33 pm
Thanks all.
Reason why I need more recommendations (I feel) heading towards vegan-ness is because seems more labor with plant based ingredients and putting them together in the kitchen. Usually vegan trying to combine a lot of interesting grains, nuts, seeds into smoothies, bars, burgers, sauces, etc to get maximum health benefit of such a diet and also these products usually more expensive if you don't do labor yourself.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 5:01 pm
Don't labor over the food. Make vegan "poke" bowls. Prepare various grains/quinoa and store in containers for the week. Drain and rinse various cans of legumes. And keep chopped veggies around (each in a separate container so it doesn't go bad). Same with dressings made ahead and kept in the fridge.
For meals, take a large bowl and prepare sections of grains, legumes, veggies and serve with dressing. You can add some nuts for extra protein. You can use covered containers for on the go as well.

Vegan overnight oats with chia seeds in the refrigerator can also work if you like that.

Quick nourishment like toasted bread spread with avocado works too.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 5:03 pm
Thanks ra-mom. You always have amazing advice!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen