Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
The Great Shabbos Party Conundrum

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 8:59 pm
In our house, most nosh is considered treats. Meaning that they come as rewards or in honor of special occasions. Feel free to start a spinoff in nutrition or parenting on that Wink

A prime time for treats is, of course, Shabbos and Yom Tov.

Therein lies my issue. A majority of nosh is packaged in very Shabbos-unfriendly packaging. There are letters everywhere, and it is very hard to open them while not creating a keili/vessel while not ripping letters.

It happens every Shabbos. Some of my kids just open them normally, potentially creating containers; others rip letters, or I sit there painstakingly using a knife or scissors to try to get at the candy without being hitting any letters (I often fail).

I've considered pre-opening the nosh before Shabbos, but not all treats lend themselves to that, and it will significantly shorten its shelf life. (Lollipops, laffy taffy, small bags of chips or bissli, etc.) Plus, I like the flexibility of choosing at the moment.

I'd rather not limit which treats we can have on Shabbos, since the times we have treats are limited anyhow.

WDYD?

(And anyone know about freeze pops? Are opening those considered making a keili too?)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 9:07 pm
I don't hold that opening chips, for example makes a kali, so no help to offer there. However. If you are worried about words, just color the package before Shabbos so the words near the opening are blacked out

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 9:08 pm
Or put stickers there (like mailing labels) for the same effect. It might be more pleasant to look at.

Stars

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 9:12 pm
I was JUST telling my husband this. If it helps Wink oodles don’t have any words next to the part where you open it. I’d like to publicly thank the packaging designers for that!

MommyM

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 11:02 pm
I open them before Shabbos and place in ziploc bags to preserve freshness.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions