Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Which area in israel is like cedarhurst NY
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 1:42 pm
HI
we are considering Aliyah in the coming year bH
Wondering which area in Israel is most like cedarhurst NY, meaning like has a mix of frum jews, close to shopping centers and a bunch of shuls and yeshivos
We are frum,sephardi with kids in darchei torah and BBY (bais yaakov,yeshiva ketana type schools here in NY) my husband will be learning full time in israel bH and ill be working in the medical field

We have no family in Israel thus im completely clueless to say the least..
All I know is that Id like to live in an area that has strong yeshivot with limudei chol/kodesh, frum neighborhood with a bunch of shuls
I dont think were looking at tel aviv bc its too modern, nor are we looking at bnei brak type areas bc we are not charedi in that sense-- my husband wears jeans lol
Thanks for helping out a clueless friend

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 1:48 pm
Following Smile

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 1:54 pm
Rechavia/ shaarei chessed in Jerusalem could work
certain ares of Ramat Bet Shemesh
both will provide you with a soft landing, lots of anglo's so you aren't thrust into a totally foreign environment. And a big mix of all sorts of Jews

Sarah15

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:01 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
both will provide you with a soft landing, lots of anglo's so you aren't thrust into a totally foreign environment. And a big mix of all sorts of Jews

ive heard about rbs aleph or givaat zev-have no info about them though lol

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:13 pm
vonigzan wrote:
ive heard about rbs aleph or givaat zev-have no info about them though lol

I was also told to look into RBS aleph and Sheinfeld, Bet Shemesh. I'm looking for a small house, not apartment. I'm posting anonymously because I've discussed it with so many people. Maybe you should contact Gidaliah Borvick, real estate broker(My Israel Home).

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:14 pm
Culturally, some parts of Jerusalem, but they are pretty expensive, and obviously urban. That is a big change for kids from the suburbs. I would think Ramat Beit Shemesh is a good bet.

Success10

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:17 pm

These are the only places that might possibly work for the OP, and even then, she might have to make some changes to fit in to the school system.

Sarah15

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:19 pm
Success10 wrote:
These are the only places that might possibly work for the OP, and even then, she might have to make some changes to fit in to the school system.

can you please elaborate? changes meaning in theway of dress or what?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:21 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I was also told to look into RBS aleph and Sheinfeld, Bet Shemesh. I'm looking for a small house, not apartment. I'm posting anonymously because I've discussed it with so many people. Maybe you should contact Gidaliah Borvick, real estate broker(My Israel Home).

If you are looking in beit shemesh (either in the Ramah or sheinfeld etc) I highly recommend getting in touch with Ruchama Prager from meor hashemesh realty. She's especially helpful with new olim looking for a place from there

Success10

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:29 pm
vonigzan wrote:
can you please elaborate? changes meaning in the way of dress or what?

Yes, mostly dress. She mentioned her husband wears jeans. I know my husband has a friend in RBS who had difficulty getting his kids into one of the open-minded schools in the Yeshivish category, at least partly since he dressed so "sporty".

Also, these schools are considered "olim" schools, where the kids will be speaking a lot of English inside and outside of school and will be slower to integrate into Israeli society.

Also, here there are separate schools for Sefardi and Ashekanzi. I don't know so much about the RBS school system in that regard.

I don't live there and there are several women on this site who do, so they might have more info for you.

Last edited by Success10 on Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:31 pm
If you want BY style schools, RBS A.
Sheinfeld is DL, not BY-type.

There are many good real estate agents for RBS A.
These are 2

Ruchama Prager
https://www.shemesh.co.il/en/e.....tails

Barbara Lemkin
http://aliyahrealty.com/

Sarah15

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:37 pm
thanks for your help ladies!
what schools in RBS A are BY style for boys and girls
ALso, have you heard of a place called ramat modiin.. thanks

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:43 pm
vonigzan wrote:
thanks for your help ladies!
what schools in RBS A are BY style for boys and girls
ALso, have you heard of a place called ramat modiin.. thanks

I'm going to rip the bandaid off here even though its gonna hurt. If the dad wears jeans, no BY style school is going to take the kids...even more so if they are sefardi. I wish with all my heart it wasn't the case, but I think its better to face the reality. In america there's so much gray area, my dad wears jeans, my mom covers her hair partially, and we went to top Bais Yaakov's in the US. That is NOT the case here in EY. I'm sorry. If the kids are thriving in good frum schools in the US think really really really hard if you want to uproot them in put them through such a trauma only to put them in schools that might not have been your top pick in the US.

Success10

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:44 pm
I'm going to rip the bandaid off here even though its gonna hurt. If the dad wears jeans, no BY style school is going to take the kids...even more so if they are sefardi. I wish with all my heart it wasn't the case, but I think its better to face the reality. In america there's so much gray area, my dad wears jeans, my mom covers her hair partially, and we went to top Bais Yaakov's in the US. That is NOT the case here in EY. I'm sorry. If the kids are thriving in good frum schools in the US think really really really hard if you want to uproot them in put them through such a trauma only to put them in schools that might not have been your top pick in the US.

Thank you for saying it. I didn't have the heart.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:51 pm

Ummm...aren't there threads here all the time about how many rules American schools have for the parents? BYs and Yeshivish boys schools make the parents jump through hoops all the time regarding dress.

I live in RBS and agree that the BY schools will probably not accept kids whose fathers wear jeans.
That being said, there are other great frum schools in RBS, such as Ahavat Yisrael (boys and girls divisions). Parents can wear whatever they want - there are dads who wear black hats, kippah sruga, shorts, jeans, suits; moms who cover all their hair, some of their hair, none of their hair.

Netzach may also not have so many rules for parents?

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:53 pm
Success10 wrote:
Yes, mostly dress. She mentioned her husband wears jeans. I know my husband has a friend in RBS who had difficulty getting his kids into one of the open-minded schools in the Yeshivish category, at least partly since he dressed so "sporty".

That's the "open-minded" school? Laugh

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:54 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Ummm...aren't there threads here all the time about how many rules schools have for the parents? BYs and Yeshivish boys schools make the parents jump through hoops all the time regarding dress.

I live in RBS and agree that the BY schools will probably not accept kids whose fathers wear jeans.
That being said, there are other great frum schools in RBS, such as Ahavat Yisrael (boys and girls divisions). Parents can wear whatever they want - there are dads who wear black hats, kippah sruga, shorts, jeans, suits; moms who cover all their hair, some of their hair, none of their hair.

Netzach may also not have so many rules for parents?

She specifically mentioned the type of schools she's looking for and I'm explaining that the equivalent to darchei and bby etc here in EY won't take her kids. So she's going to move across the world to put her kids in schools below her personal standard- thats a decision she needs to make with her eyes wide open, thats all.
p.s.- for some reason jeans are a thing here. Meaning a statement about which community you associate with, even jean skirts for the girls mean something. Those who learn full time and wear jeans usually live in Dati Leumi communities like Efrat, Gush etzion etc

Success10

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:56 pm
DrMom wrote:
That's the "open-minded" school? Laugh

Yups. But I think they were cool with him having a smartphone at least.

Sarah15

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 3:03 pm

thanks for your reply-I really appreciate the honesty- we would definitely change that small thing in order to get into BY schools
we are looking for seperate schools, not coed so im sure my husband wouldnt mind changing to get into a strong yeshiva
can you name a few yeshivos in rbs a that are BY, interestede for both my son and daughter ty
bte

Sarah15

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 3:06 pm
She specifically mentioned the type of schools she's looking for and I'm explaining that the equivalent to darchei and bby etc here in EY won't take her kids. So she's going to move across the world to put her kids in schools below her personal standard- thats a decision she needs to make with her eyes wide open, thats all.
p.s.- for some reason jeans are a thing here. Meaning a statement about which community you associate with, even jean skirts for the girls mean something. Those who learn full time and wear jeans usually live in Dati Leumi communities like Efrat, Gush etzion etc

what type of sheitel is accepted in hte BY communities>
At work I wear a tichel but shabbos /otherwise I wear a sheitel, its over the shoulder, hits right above the breast.. I really appreicate your help
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions