Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Biting off pitom
Previous  1  2

malki2

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 1:28 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
This how the classic Jewish children's book The adventures of K'tonton begins — his mother bites off the end of her husband's esrog and the thumb-sized boy was born within the year.

From the glossary in the back: "There is a folk superstition that a childless woman who bites off the tip of the Ethrog at the concludion of the [Sukkos] festival will be blessed with a male child."

Darn, you beat me to it!

avrahamama

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 1:31 pm
Success10 wrote:
The segulah appears in the "Sefer Moed Lekol Chai" along with the appropriate tefillah. I have the tefillah here, but I am unable to upload a screenshot, so best to google it.

Would you be able to email a pic to me? I'd love to be able to share it with whoever asks.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Oct 10 2020, 12:58 pm
This is implied in the movie "Ushpizin". The lead actor spends every shekel he has to buy the most beautiful esrog he can get. His wife has been unable to have children for the 5 years they've been married.

During the holiday, his "uninvited guests" want to thank him for his hospitality, so they decide to make a salad with lemon juice dressing. Guess which "lemon" they used! Surprised

When the lead finds out, he runs into the forest, screaming "I will not be angry, I WILL NOT BE ANGRY!" and he pours out his heart to Hashem. He has struggled with anger issues all of his life, and he doesn't want to fall back into his old ways. It's the most powerful moment in the film, at least to me.

Hidden: 

9 months later, his wife gives birth to a baby boy, in the merit of the father not getting angry, and not embarrassing his guests, no matter how hard it was for him to contain himself.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 4:22 am
Is this done on hoshana raba? Did I miss it, can I still do it?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 8:13 pm
to all asking- YES! you can still do it. according to many it was muktza (muktza machmas mitzva) on hoshana rabba, so you should do it today. You are being mechaper the sin of chava. see tefilla posted by earlier post. It is a segula for easy labor- but you should do it every year regardless to be mechaper the sin. you dont swallow it. just bite it off and spit it out.

Also mentioned in mishne berura (dirshu one is on pg 268). its under hilchos lulav taf reish samach gimel- regarding the machlokes if it should be done on hoshana rabba or after yom tov

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 8:31 pm
https://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpag.....m=356

amother
PlumPink

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 2:03 pm
Is there an intan to do this today or after yt?
In my ninth month

amother
DarkYellow

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 2:19 pm
"יש נשים מעוברת שנוהגת ליטול הפיטום של האתרוג בהו"ר"
“Some pregnant women have a custom to bite off the pitom of the etrog on Hoshana Rabbah [after davening].”
QUESTION: What is the significance of this?

ANSWER: According to the Midrash (Bereishit Rabbah 15:7) the forbidden fruit that Chavah ate and also gave to Adam was an etrog. As a punishment, from then on, she and all womanhood would have to suffer pain in childbirth.

The etrog is an edible tasty fruit and has a good aroma. The pitom, however, is a hard inedible piece of wood with no aroma. By biting off the pitom the woman is declaring that she disagrees with Chavah and wants absolutely no pleasure from the etrog.

The Gemara (Sotah 12a) says that righteous women of all generations were not affected by Chavah’s verdict that womankind should suffer pain in childbirth. Therefore, by disassociating herself from Chavah’s iniquity, she prays to Hashem that He grant her a childbirth without pain and complications.

(אוצר כל מנהגי ישרון בשם ספר זכירה ועי' בנטעי גבריאל פרק פ' ס"ז)

amother
DarkYellow

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 2:19 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:
Is there an intan to do this today or after yt?
In my ninth month

Today

zehavag

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 3:23 pm
It’s in the Sefer Mateh Efraim. It’s specifically today cuz we’re finished with using the esrog.

It’s also in a sefer called moed l’kol chai, here’s a link:

https://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpag.....m=356

amother
Milk

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 5:19 pm
https://I.imgur.com/EzauJsw.jpg

https://I.imgur.com/UEIK5FO.jpg
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics