Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
AMI Neturai Karta article
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 3:12 pm
This type of article is what Ami magazine is all about. It's like reality TV. So what if a rebbetzin writes a dvar torah on the page before or after.

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 3:45 am
I haven't read it because I can't get Ami here, can someone post the interview so I have also my share in talking about this?

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:32 am
tweek wrote:
My issue with AMI printing these types of articles is that I understand that a Jewish publication cannot print lashon hora. However, by chosing not to, they are inevitably not telling the whole story which makes for lousy reporting.

Therefore, it is a poor choice of subject matter.

Also, I'm not sure that writing an article (not just this one) about someone controversial and leaving out the negative, absolves them of the lashon Hora issue. By bringing something to people's attention that will automatically bring people to talk about it, they are the cause of just what they think they are avoiding.

I do not have the impression that any jewish magazine abides by the issur of lashon hara...

Just read the editorials about politics in either Ami or Mishpacha - they are full of lashon hara about the outside world, about politicians, about the israeli supreme court, etc...

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:06 am
I did not find the article sensational at all, or even worth a conversation. It was a interview with one person and her experience, not about the organization.

meiravit

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 10:11 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I did not find the article sensational at all, or even worth a conversation. It was a interview with one person and her experience, not about the organization.

I agree. I personally don't get the Ami for many reasons, including their general hashkafa, but I read this article at a friend's house over Yom Tov.

Since NK is so beyond the pale of mainstream Judaism, there is no danger that anyone would be influenced. I thought it was interesting to hear his daughter's perspective, what it was like growing up with a father like that, and that he seemed to be mostly l'shem shamayim, even if he was misguided.

I think it's more equivalent to, say, a piece about a former Lev Tahor member reminiscing about a few nice parts of her childhood rather than equivalent to their whitewashing of Lev Tahor.

QueensMama

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 10:42 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I do not have the impression that any jewish magazine abides by the issur of lashon hara...

Just read the editorials about politics in either Ami or Mishpacha - they are full of lashon hara about the outside world, about politicians, about the israeli supreme court, etc...

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no issur of lashon hara re criticizing public figures that are not shomer Torah and mitzvos.

(Pretty sure it IS lashon hara to say that a frum magazine is printing lashon hara but that's a different topic.)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room