Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Need food ideas for my kid to take to daycare

essgee

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:10 am
Hi All,

my baby is a year old and is at the babysitter from 9-5. we don't have time to eat breakfast at home so I need ideas for breakfast and lunch that I can pack up for him.
as of now I send along one meal, usually a pb sandwich, and 2 pumped bottles (4-5 oz each)
he eats dinner at home basically whatever me and my husband are eating chicken, veggies, pasta etc.
please share your ideas of food that is easy to pack up and can be sent along with him. TIA

also, at what point do I stop sending along bottles (he still nurses when hes home, evenings and morning)

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:22 am
You can stop the bottles and send whole cow's milk in a sippy cup. No need to pump when your baby is over a year old.
For breakfast I send pancakes, banana, cheerios, fruit, waffles, yogurt, scrambled eggs, muffin, avacado...
For lunch I send sandwich (chummus, pb, avacado, creamcheese...), pasta, cooked veggies, leftovers from dinner, shredded cheese, grilled cheese, snackers...

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:31 am
I would send a third meal too if it’s so many hours especially if you won’t be feeding at 5 exactly.
Would the babysitter warm up something you send? Pasta, pizza, cooked vegetables,

essgee

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:47 am
stillnewlywed wrote:
You can stop the bottles and send whole cow's milk in a sippy cup. No need to pump when your baby is over a year old.
For breakfast I send pancakes, banana, cheerios, fruit, waffles, yogurt, scrambled eggs, muffin, avacado...
For lunch I send sandwich (chummus, pb, avacado, creamcheese...), pasta, cooked veggies, leftovers from dinner, shredded cheese, grilled cheese, snackers...

thanks for this!
do u prep food in advance? and how do u pack it up? just having a hard time with the logistics....

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:55 am
essgee wrote:
thanks for this!
do u prep food in advance? and how do u pack it up? just having a hard time with the logistics....

I use these:
https://www.target.com/p/progr.....62780

Each meal in it's own container. I send breakfast and lunch and 1 bottle (my baby is 10 months).
I prep in the morning, but sometimes will put aside extra from dinner specifically for him.

essgee

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 12:04 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
I use these:
https://www.target.com/p/progr.....62780

Each meal in it's own container. I send breakfast and lunch and 1 bottle (my baby is 10 months).
I prep in the morning, but sometimes will put aside extra from dinner specifically for him.

thanks so much!

btw these containers are 5.99 on Amazon if anyones interested.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 12:05 pm
essgee wrote:
thanks for this!

To make it easier on the baby sitter.
use microwavable containers if you expect her to warm it up. Don't forget spoon or fork.
Disposable is nice so she can just throw it out afterwards.
I like to put everything in lunch box( I use plastic pencil case from Walmart or dollar store!)so everything is one place.
If you need to keep stuff cold(like yogurt) is useful to have one of those soft ice pack that you put on freezer every night.
If you send fruits(ex:apples or clementines) peel,slice and store in small ziplock bag.
Good ideas above, you can also send...
French toast
Fish sticks
Chicken nuggets

essgee

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 12:06 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
To make it easier on the baby sitter.
use microwavable containers if you expect her to warm it up. Don't forget spoon or fork.
Disposable is nice so she can just throw it out afterwards.
I like to put everything in lunch box( I use plastic pencil case from Walmart or dollar store!)so everything is one place.
If you need to keep stuff cold(like yogurt) is useful to have one of those soft ice pack that you put on freezer every night.
If you send fruits(ex:apples or clementines) peel,slice and store in small ziplock bag.
Good ideas above, you can also send...
French toast
Fish sticks
Chicken nuggets

thanks! like the pencil case idea. gotta keep an eye out for them.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 12:47 pm
I had a hard time doing extra food prep for that age, so I would just send the same few things every day. What worked for me was no prep things, so I sent quick oats, chocolate chips in a little container to add, a banana, a yogurt, and a cream cheese sandwich.
Occasionally if I'd have extra dinner from the night before that the child liked, like pasta or chicken/tuna patties I'd send that for lunch instead. My daughter did have one or two bottles still at that point (before napping), so I always kept a can of formula in her bag as well. As she grew older I asked the daycare if I can send a small milk every Monday for the week. I kept rice dream box drinks there for the Mondays where I didn't have my act together...
This was all by my first. Being a parent is a learning curve, maybe I'll do better by my next, maybe I won't. Child was fed and happy, and that's priority over fancy looking lunches.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 1:00 pm
My kid liked canned vegetables (corn, peas and carrots). She also likes canned beans in sauce. There's also jarred baby food and applesauce.
If you have time, you could also send ground chicken chunks or balls or chicken cut into small pieces.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics