Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
Blokus, Gobblet and Abalone

Mevater

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 1:56 pm
I am considering Blokus, Gobblet and Abalone - which would s/o who is an Othello, Overturn and Mastermind fan like? What are Pros and Cons?

I want it for teens/adults.

Any other recommendations?

Clarissa

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 2:01 pm
We love Mastermind and Blokus. Can't think of any cons.

chavamom

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 3:35 pm
We love Blokus here (the preteen/teen/adult contingent here).

shanie5

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 5:10 pm
another vote for blokus here. we have the triangle version, my sis has the square one.

dont know the other games u mentioned.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 5:11 pm
Isn't abalone a take off of Othello? Don't know the third, my kids have played blokus and I would love it.

Mevater

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 5:44 pm
shanie5 wrote:
another vote for blokus here. we have the triangle version, my sis has the square one.
Do you know how the square and triangle compare?

momluv

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 5:49 pm
the trianglular version is more difficult. I have played both-my mom has one and sis has the other. I have the travel version myself. I like abalone though better but both are great games.

str

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 6:22 pm
Another vote for blokus. It is an excellent game for all ages

Mevater

Post Sun, Jan 06 2008, 4:51 pm
Well, I've become a Blokus addict now. What I can't figure out is how it's not luck that you need to win, rather than strategy, because in each game the pieces you need to fill in the available spaces, are always different. You can't predict which you'll need in the end of each new game.

Am I missing something?

Tips, please.

leomom

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 11:48 pm
The more you play, the more you figure out what kind of strategy is involved.

We have the triangle version of Blokus, and in some ways it may be harder, but I find it is MUCH more interesting and more gorgeous to play than the square version. There are so many more possibilities, the angles are cool, the shape of the board is cool, and overall it feels more eye-opening and brain-expanding. It's also satisfying just to make beautiful designs with the triangle version.

About Gobblet - we have it and enjoy it. It's more subtle than it first seems. But (like Blokus) it's good because it can be played even by young children once they get the basic idea (although once in a while you have to hold back a bit so they can win...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics