Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What is the price of full tuition, and where do you live?
Previous  1  2  3

watergirl

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 6:50 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Monsey, chassidish school, $400. First and second grade. It's way more worth than paying insane rent in the city.

What kind of education do you get for $400/month? You generally get what you pay for. Is there a gym? Teachers with degrees? Trained rabbeim? Administration who have advanced education and credentials? School social worker? Full general studies program? You can not compare a chassidish mosad education with some of these other schools on this thread. Yes, what is important to you is not the same as what is important to others, and thats ok...but this just shows why these tuition comparison threads are not helpful.

You have to compare apples to apples. For what its worth, I paid Monsey tuition at ASHAR, Ateres (high school), YSV, and Beis Hachinuch and trust me, they were all a bloody fortune. And the tuition assistance people at ASHAR and Beis Hachinuch were not nice to deal with at ALL. ASHAR actually asked my husband why we would send our child to a "Cadillac school if we can only afford a used Kia".

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 6:57 am
NY area. 2 high school kids: 60K+

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 7:03 am
Five towns.
16,000 elementary school aged boys
13,000 aged girl

Both prices include building fee and dinner

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 7:07 am
We live in the midwest. Elementary school is around $16k, high school is $19K

We can only afford it without crying about it because we, BH, are wealthy. But because we live in such a small community, the school is still struggling. Fewer kids means less tuition money coming in. The quality of education is average at best and there aren't so many frills. Getting a water bottle filler was considered exciting.

The cost of tuition makes me sick to my stomach for my kids. We can afford it because my husband ended up in a very lucrative field but the financial overall pressure on people is disgusting. How can it not affect one's yiddeshkeit?

snooper86

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 2:17 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Elementary 17,500 (plus $2000 bus)
Middle school 18,500 (plus 2000 bus)
High school 27,000 (plus $3600 bus)

So, a lot. (Over $70,000).
No financial aid or discounts.

New jersey

Wow do you have to rob a bank every year? 😝

snooper86

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 2:21 pm
For those that can afford these insane prices, I’m happy for you!! Wouldn’t mind being able to afford these prices by then it would mean I can afford other stuff too (like vacation)

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 2:29 pm
snooper86 wrote:
For those that can afford these insane prices, I’m happy for you!! Wouldn’t mind being able to afford these prices by then it would mean I can afford other stuff too (like vacation)

There are (I think many) people who fall in the gray zone: too poor, or have too much savings for a scholarship, but not rich enough not to feel the bite of a day school tuition.

These are the people not taking any vacations--or maybe a day trip to a low cost historical site or state park.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 2:30 pm
snooper86 wrote:

No, but DH jokes he could buy a luxury car every year and just throw it away.

(As it is, he drives a 10 year old very middle range car, that he bought used).

It means we don't spend in other areas. I've never spent more that $30 for a piece of clothing for my kids (other than winter coats), and normally much, much less. My average piece of clothing is $25.

On the other thread, I wrote, I'm ok that 2 out of 3 of our biggest budget line items are my kids' jewish education and maaser (mortgage is the other).

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 4:58 pm
snooper86 wrote:

There was a bank robbery in Lawrence/cedarhurst today, maybe amother ruby was the culprit! LOL LOL

ectomorph

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:04 pm
watergirl wrote:
What kind of education do you get for $400/month? You generally get what you pay for. Is there a gym? Teachers with degrees? Trained rabbeim? Administration who have advanced education and credentials? School social worker? Full general studies program? You can not compare a chassidish mosad education with some of these other schools on this thread. Yes, what is important to you is not the same as what is important to others, and thats ok...but this just shows why these tuition comparison threads are not helpful.

You have to compare apples to apples. For what its worth, I paid Monsey tuition at ASHAR, Ateres (high school), YSV, and Beis Hachinuch and trust me, they were all a bloody fortune. And the tuition assistance people at ASHAR and Beis Hachinuch were not nice to deal with at ALL. ASHAR actually asked my husband why we would send our child to a "Cadillac school if we can only afford a used Kia".

Personally I'd rather pay 3k tuition for bare bones and supplement with tutoring. It would still come out cheaper than out of town tuition.

snooper86

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 10:36 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
No, but DH jokes he could buy a luxury car every year and just throw it away.

(As it is, he drives a 10 year old very middle range car, that he bought used).

It means we don't spend in other areas. I've never spent more that $30 for a piece of clothing for my kids (other than winter coats), and normally much, much less. My average piece of clothing is $25.

On the other thread, I wrote, I'm ok that 2 out of 3 of our biggest budget line items are my kids' jewish education and maaser (mortgage is the other).

Wow I salute you!! Thought for sure you were extremely comfortable (aka rich). Dunno if I’d be able to be as good as you. I like to spend on stuff even though don’t really have much. (But also not paying tuition yet..)

snooper86

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 10:37 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
There was a bank robbery in Lawrence/cedarhurst today, maybe amother ruby was the culprit! LOL LOL

🤣😂😆😝
Dunno if it be worth sitting in jail for though..

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 6:17 am
Where ? which ? I've seen 150 to 500 dollars depending on chol, not, private, official.

Goldengrl327

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 12:52 pm
snooper86 wrote:

Similar...
$28K for high school (not including the $5k building fund/“family obligation” which we already paid with first son)
$31K for yeshiva in israel for quarantine and lockdown (and we paid our own flight).

For many, I can only imagine they’re on some sort of scholarship or staff discount. Others are maybe borrowing or having help from parents. We pay full price but we also live below or within our means (average house, no pesach program vacation...).

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:02 pm
Los Angeles -

Elementary school, about $23,000 each.
High School - anywhere between $18,000 to $26,000

My tuition bill: Insane. It's birth control, honestly. I'm so grateful I can pay it.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:43 pm
Preschool...
$1750 a month for two

Girls school next year will be 10,500 if they don’t go up

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 4:43 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

Can say, with hand on my heart, wasn't in the area!

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 4:58 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
London,England- between £700-£1200 for primary school age kids per term. So multiply by 3 for the year.

Not yet up to grammar school so get back to me in a few years. Wink definitely a fair bit more though. But depends whether state aided or not.

My son is in reception, 8k plus building fund.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:20 pm
But for American students attending Yeshivas in Israel they charge a fortune because from Israeli students they get nothing. Israelis think in America money grows on trees. They keep knocking on my door for hachnossos kallah, where they buy apt for couple with money, whereas most people I know here in America don't buy apts for their marrieds & let alone that they are still living in rentals, when they are marrying off their kids.

twogees

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 5:42 pm
Chicago. My sons school is $13,300 before any financial aid. Minimum payment is $3300. Any additional fees for building, books, technology, and dinner are not included. We pay minimum of $3300 plus all fees split into 10 months which comes to $367.50 so im not sure what each of the payments are off hand. And thats without reg fee($100) and bussing ($135/yr per child)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics