Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o what was the worst meal you received?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:42 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
What organizations are those?

For families in medical crisis.
Kochavim is in bp, kapayim is in bp, wili & monsey

ChanieMommy

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:55 pm
I never received food from a food train that was worse than the occasional cooking accidents I have myself...

So my worst meal would be totally self-made... but since I made it, we ate it, and since I made it and we ate it, I acted as if it tasted really good...

cnc

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:56 pm
ChanieMommy wrote:
I never received food from a food train that was worse than the occasional cooking accidents I have myself...

So my worst meal would be totally self-made... but since I made it, we ate it, and since I made it and we ate it, I acted as if it tasted really good...

Love your attitude

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 10:57 pm
Once when I had a baby I spoke to a friend who I met by chance and she told me "mazal tov! I want to make you supper! What can I make you?" I answered "thank you so much! anything will be appreciated but please don't make chicken as we had some every night lately!" She said "ok I will make you shnitzel!"
It was really good and we had chicken again! LOL

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:06 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Totally fine IMHO! I have done this a few times for family and friends. I asked in advance if it would be a help and they always accepted. I prepared 2 nights of supper and gave it to them with cooking instructions.

That’s so super nice! I would love that honestly better than waiting for something the night of.

I’m just very hormonal after a baby and love having others food in general. Never get meals though because I’m by my mother (which ironically just mean I need to cook for more people. Not very relaxing)

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:13 pm
First of all I want to say I really appreciate every single person who sent meals. I wrote thank you cards to every single one. Even if we didn't eat the food or it did not work for us, its the thought that counts. We got some amazing and generous dinners and I am super impressed with the effort people put in.

Since this thread is about funny mishaps:

1: Someone brought us 5 meatballs and a single cup of cooked rice for a family of 5. (My toddler ate that and I cooked dinner for the rest of us)

2: Someone else brought us a pan of plain noodles, a bag of chips, and a box of mints. (My kids ate the chips and we threw everything else out)

3: Someone brought us a salad and nothing else. (I made everyone dinner and enjoyed the salad immensely for lunch the next day)

4: Another person signed up to make manicotti, soup, garlic knots, and a salad. I think they forgot and 2 hours late they brought a box of pizza. (FYI my kids were THRILLED. Pizza is their favorite and they don't like manicotti.)

5: Someone brought cold cuts and rolls. (It was fine but not a homecooked meal)

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:50 pm
Why is #5 a mishap? Or funny?
A meal was provided.
As far as #1...sounds like a communication mishap. She obviously thought she was providing a meal for you, not your whole family.
#3 as well...she probably was told to chip in as part of a meal and there was an error or misunderstanding with the main.
This is exactly why I dislike meal trains and the expectations that come along with them.

Mayflower

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:59 am
I'm not very picky and really appreciate every meal we got. I don't think we ever received food we didn't enjoy (although some meals were more amazing than others) but I did have one "bad" experience where the person who offered to cook for us kept calling me with questions...

First she wanted to know if we have any allergies (fair question),
what we would like (answer: whatever you're serving your own family is fine),
at what time we'd need it (uhm, I don't know, normal supper time),
if it's OK if she sends it wrapped this way or that way (can't remember exact details),
how many potatoes I expect my kids to eat so she'll know how much to send,
whether it's OK if the soup has pieces or it needs to be strained,
if she needs to wrap the vegetables separately or could be mixed with the rest...

She must have called me at least 10 times. I realize she was probably just insecure and wanted to be sure that we would eat whatever she was sending, but all the phone calls over the course of the day, while I was struggling to nurse and take care of two toddlers - it would have been MUCH easier for me to just order takeout or cook some pasta with tomato sauce myself (of course I didn't tell her this).

baby12x

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 4:12 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
First of all I want to say I really appreciate every single person who sent meals. I wrote thank you cards to every single one. Even if we didn't eat the food or it did not work for us, its the thought that counts. We got some amazing and generous dinners and I am super impressed with the effort people put in.

Since this thread is about funny mishaps:

1: Someone brought us 5 meatballs and a single cup of cooked rice for a family of 5. (My toddler ate that and I cooked dinner for the rest of us)

2: Someone else brought us a pan of plain noodles, a bag of chips, and a box of mints. (My kids ate the chips and we threw everything else out)

3: Someone brought us a salad and nothing else. (I made everyone dinner and enjoyed the salad immensely for lunch the next day)

4: Another person signed up to make manicotti, soup, garlic knots, and a salad. I think they forgot and 2 hours late they brought a box of pizza. (FYI my kids were THRILLED. Pizza is their favorite and they don't like manicotti.)

5: Someone brought cold cuts and rolls. (It was fine but not a homecooked meal)

Why would you throw out plain pasta?
Such baal tashchis. Put some ketchup on it

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 4:39 am
This thread reminds me of the time a friend of mine had a baby and I was included in the meal train. It was a group of us good friends who always made suppers for each other so it would have been very awkward to decline, but the problem was that I was in early pregnancy with a few months old baby. It was a really difficult pregancy, I was very ill and throwing up all day, and at the same time looking after a young baby. Honestly I wasn't cooking anything for myself at that point, my husband used to buy take out on his way home, or he made sth easy for himself. But obviously none of my friends knew that at this point.
So I was signed up to share shabbos cooking, Friday morning I realised there was no way I would manage this. So my dear husband bless him, ended up cooking the food. Please note this was his first time making shabbos, with me sitting on the couch calling out instructions. I don't remember all the food, but I do remember the soup. Very clearly. after it was packed I remember thinking, wow it looks so pale, and the carrots look kind of weird... anyway I sent it all off. That night when we sat to eat our half of the quite tasteless chicken soup I realised the carrots weren't peeled!!! Omg I don't know what she must have been thinking !! Can't Believe It
Good news is im now pregnant with no6 bh and my dh has been making us delicious chicken soup every week! With loads of extra veggies and a yummy golden colour!

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 5:17 am
I've never received a single meal from anyone, although I have received other sorts of wonderful help. Once I was injured shortly before yom tov and a not frum friend who knows I won't eat from her kitchen came over and baked a bunch of stuff for me.

I do find making meals for other quite stressful, espcially if there has been no discussion of allergies or dislikes. Although I have got better at it over the years. I don't mind so much sending shabbos food since its easy enough to make a double kugel recipe or cake recipe.

I would definitely recommend not trying a new recipe for someone else. Tried and tested.

Oh and people get a digital meat thermometor. Life changing. No need for undercooked meat or chicken.

Some people do have funny ideas about food. I was once served spaghetti with meatballs and no sauce. I also wouldn't consider a meal without any vegetables good for anyone, let alone a diabetic pregnant woman! But I guess once upon a time I may have thought that ok.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 5:54 am
I'm very grateful for any meals I ever got.
Just a few interesting ones: We waited and waited and waited and our lovely friend kept saying soon soon soon. By 7 PM I fed my small, hungry children something else. Eventually, maybe 9 PM, our lovely friend sent over a pizza pie. I have no idea what went wrong.
Another time a Shabbat meal was split among many people. But I had no idea what to expect. Most of the people called to say what they were bringing and gave us a heads up as to when they would come by. We received some amazing mains and sides. At about 30 minutes before Shabbat I sent my husband to pick up some challa rolls at our neighborhood large supermarket.
On his way to shul a neighbor dropped off some challot.

Metukah

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 6:04 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I get home at 5 and can’t cook fresh to bring it on time, so I’m cooking the dinner I promised for tomorrow night tonight, then I’ll go bring it over at 5 and mention it’s cold. They’ll figure it out. It’s either that or bring it over fresh at 7 when that’s night dinner is ready in my house. I’ve also had people drop of the night before or mid day and we reheated.

Isn't 5 a little late too late for good that needs to be heated and served as super, presumably to kids? Do they know it is coming so late?

I understand you work and can't do it earlier, but if you can't drop it off earlier or the night before, maybe you shouldn't be offering meals.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 6:15 am
Metukah wrote:
Isn't 5 a little late too late for good that needs to be heated and served as super, presumably to kids? Do they know it is coming so late?

I understand you work and can't do it earlier, but if you can't drop it off earlier or the night before, maybe you shouldn't be offering meals.

Five late to bring over supper? In what world would five be late? I don't know anyone who feeds their kids supper before six at the very earliest.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 6:18 am
Just reading all these replies makes me glad I was never involved in this meal train thing. First, I barely have time to organize food for my own family, let alone for others.

Second, I can make my own pasta or order my own pizza with the toppings I like, rather than wait for someone to send.

And it doesn't seem like so many of the meals sent over are that healthy. Reading the other threads too, it seems like 50% at best are actually healthy meals, with protein and veggies, and not smothered in sugar (ie. duck sauce or something).

Metukah

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 6:42 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Five late to bring over supper? In what world would five be late? I don't know anyone who feeds their kids supper before six at the very earliest.

My kids are begging for supper from when they walk in at 4:30, and I stretch them to 6, but that's only because they are older. There is no way my kids under 6 could wait until 6 or later. By 6 they are getting ready for bed.

Most people I know feed young kids at around 5, but I don't know all people so I guess the best thing to do is ask.

I volunteer for organisations that send families supper (not only for women after birth , for families with sick family members etc) and we are asked to have supper at the family at 5, ready to eat. (A pot of soup takes not more than 10 minutes to heat, but cold chicken can take at least an hour)

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 6:48 am
Metukah wrote:

Fair point, but where I live we fill in a requested dinner time, so theirs is 6:30, leaving plenty of time to heat. Plus it’s schnitzel so kids will probably eat it cold anyway. Moral of the story is to pay attention to the requested time and make sure it’s ready to eat by then.

Metukah

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 6:49 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Fair point, but where I live we fill in a requested dinner time, so theirs is 6:30, leaving plenty of time to heat. Plus it’s schnitzel so kids will probably eat it cold anyway. Moral of the story is to pay attention to the requested time and make sure it’s ready to eat by then.

That is completely understandable then. If you drop it off at off, there is plenty of time to get the food heated by 6:30.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 6:51 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
That’s so super nice! I would love that honestly better than waiting for something the night of.

I’m just very hormonal after a baby and love having others food in general. Never get meals though because I’m by my mother (which ironically just mean I need to cook for more people. Not very relaxing)

Why do you go to your mother then?

heidi

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 7:04 am
My first baby I had a csection and my parents weren't available to help. I said yes to meals and the first night we got turkey legs. DH and I looked at each other, had cereal and I cancelled the rest of meals.
With my fifth I again said yes bcz. he was hospitalized for awhile after birth.
A very elegant neighbor sent liver in puff pastry.
For a family of 4 kids!
Once again, I said thanks and cancelled the rest of the meals.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics