Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O Meals postpartum
1  2  Next

Do you feel up to cooking properly the week after birth?
Yes  
 12%  [ 15 ]
No  
 84%  [ 100 ]
Other, please share  
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 119

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:56 pm
I'm very curious after reading these threads, how many of you feel capable of cooking for your family in a way that will actually fill you up and give you energy during the week after birth?

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:59 pm
I don't think I'm up to it, I rotate between accepting from mom/siblings/close friends, take out, and pita pizza/ hot dogs/ deli sandwiches.
After 2 weeks I can put up a one pan dinner like baked fish n veggies or whatever.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:03 pm
Nope, I make sure to stock my freezer with suppers and shabbos basics in my second trimester when I feel the best. A mixture of that and take out gets us through the first few weeks.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:06 pm
BH I feel pretty good after birth, relatively speaking. Definitely better than before birth! But standing on my feet for a while is hard to do, I have a baby attached to me a good portion of the day, and I am exhausted from being kept up all night. Doing any real cooking would be hard.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:08 pm
No. I prep and freeze, but takeout, have Dh cook.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:19 pm
Ideas of what you prep in advance for weekday suppers and for Shabbos?

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:19 pm
I answered other. I feel strongly that I should be prepared as best as possible. I freeze many meals so I do not have to rely others. If people offer me meals- great. If not that is ok too.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:23 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Ideas of what you prep in advance for weekday suppers and for Shabbos?

Bread and freeze cutlets (variety of coatings)
Meatballs
Chicken legs
Chili
Meat sauce
Lasagna (meat and dairy)
Soups
Pizzas (raw and ready to pop in oven)
Challah
Chicken soup
Potato kugels
Fruit crisps
Desserts (cakes, cookies, ice cream, pies)

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:29 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Bread and freeze cutlets (variety of coatings)
Meatballs
Chicken legs
Chili
Meat sauce
Lasagna (meat and dairy)
Soups
Pizzas (raw and ready to pop in oven)
Challah
Chicken soup
Potato kugels
Fruit crisps
Desserts (cakes, cookies, ice cream, pies)

I see that many times people post lasagna is so easy to make...

its so time consuming!!! u have to boil the pasta then drain it then spend time layering it etc

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:34 pm
I don’t feel great but I have c sections and so far all 4 births I have ended up with preeclampsia, so I come home on meds that make u feel even worse. That being said I won’t eat from other people’s home, I’m just super picky like that, we don’t ever go out for meals on Shabbos, I have everyone by us it’s easier and my kids have a lot of allergies. So I freeze a ton before birth even when not feeling great. I also stock the freezer with easy things that the nanny can throw in a microwave like waffles pancakes and the frozen rice they sell now. I haven’t ever taken meals and don’t ever plan on it just not my thing.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:34 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:

its so time consuming!!! u have to boil the pasta then drain it then spend time layering it etc

Have you ever tried just not doing that? Ever since I can remember my mother always just put the lasagna noodles into the pan raw. They boil in the sauce in the oven. So that’s how I’ve always made it myself too.

singleagain

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:35 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:

There are ready to go noodles. That you just layer and stick in the oven with some water

Also even before that I don't think my mom ever pre did the noodles.... Just asked, days she used to. Till she found out that if you add enough sauce you don't have to. Also she always put some water on the bottom of pan.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:37 pm
singleagain wrote:
There are ready to go noodles. That you just layer and stick in the oven with some water

Also even before that I don't think my mom ever pre did the noodles.... Just asked, days she used to. Till she found out that if you add enough sauce you don't have to. Also she always put some water on the bottom of pan.

Cross posted Smile

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:37 pm
I feel amazing after I give birth (make me meals in my 9th month!)
I’m out shopping two days later 😝
And I go to the mikvah at 4 weeks every time for all you naysayers!

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:40 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Have you ever tried just not doing that? Ever since I can remember my mother always just put the lasagna noodles into the pan raw. They boil in the sauce in the oven. So that’s how I’ve always made it myself too.

tried it once. the noodles absorbed all the sauce and water and the actual lasagna was dry and blah

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:45 pm
I can use 9 months of meals before giving birth, but no one sends them then:(
I have had very easy babies BH and am generally ready to cook 24 hours later.
I don't do gourmet, though.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:49 pm
Do you freeze the lasagna raw or cooked?

queen esther

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:55 pm
I respect all of you that can cook and freeze in advance... I'm just not like that. Dinner is stressful enough for me in general, it's one of my least favorite household "chores", and especially while being pregnant.. I'm so much more tired, even in second trimester. And yom tov comes in and that food takes the space. Just can't imagine having been able to prep more food than I have already, so I just wanted to post in case anyone else feels like me, so we know we're not alone!.
But for those of you that do prep and freeze... It sure sounds helpful.

small bean

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:06 pm
I don't take meals from people and I don't freeze food. We always eat fresh.

I just had a baby BH and cooked simple meals, like chicken and rice, salmon and potatoes etc after the baby was born. Really the same as before. If my husband was around, he can cook also and would help.

I BH bounce right back to myself after birth and continue with life, I don't take maternity leave. I always work from home, so I continue right away. I cook like regular, clean regular etc.

And to those that say recovery is longer than, I've always been to the mikvah by 6 weeks.

When my babies are a couple months old. I do get a week, where I need to nap to get thru the day.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:09 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

There is no reason to boil the lasagna! just use plenty of sauce. I never boil my lasagna and its always very tender.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics