Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What Amazing meal was sent to you after giving birth
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 10:59 pm
I'm in such awe of a woman who cooked meals for us last time I gave birth. First, she sent tons of food but not too much that it sat in the fridge and got old. Two huge pans of breaded chicken thighs. Our favorite. I almost cried, it tasted amazing and watching my family be satisfied and happy meant so much to me. Plus quinoa that we actually all loved. A delicious salad with dressing. And a yum soft marble pound cake.

Another night she sent over a wonderful large pan of milchig lasagna plus another of noodles and cheese. A hot vegetable soup and Israeli salad and hot corn. Cut melon for dessert.

I have a lot of big eaters and they are only used to my cooking. It was such a relief to have so much good food sent. I'm so grateful and in awe of a woman who can cook like this for a mitzva. When I grow up I want to be like her.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:02 pm
I don’t think anyone ever sent me a meal after a baby.

rachel6543

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:10 pm
One of my favorites was mac n cheese made from scratch. Talk about yum!!

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:20 pm
My mother in law send us cauliflower soup, homemade sesame chicken And rice plus baked apples for dessert.
My sister sent me potato soup, mini pastrami pizzas, a rack of ribs in bone sucking sauce and mashed potatoes!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:23 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

I always love reading ur posts and insights id love to send over a meal if u lived near me!! (far rockaway!)

Frumme

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:23 pm
I was 2-3 months PP, way past my one week of meals, when a lady in the community surprised us with dinner. Mushroom soup, sweet potatoes, some kind of chicken or meat... I can't remember exactly what was served, but I remember that it was so, so helpful and very meaningful.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:24 pm
It’s been awhile since my last baby. I never had anything official set up for me, but I just remember that a friend of mine told me she’s dropping off dinner, dropped off spaghetti and meatballs (I think it was my first child, so just for me and my hub and this would have been after staying at my mom a few weeks). It was just so basic and simple and yummy and I just remember appreciating it so much. I’m a bit of a perfectionist who would never let myself drop off such a basic meal, and I just appreciated it so much. I can’t really explain it. But I still remember it almost 15 years later.

yksraya

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:25 pm
My Mil and sometimes a Sil send me meals in the first days after a baby. (Just for me and dh, the other kids are usually away for 2 weeks). It's usually a salad, a soup, chicken or meat, sometimes even an entree. Homemade and fresh. I really appreciate it. It's not like I can't cook myself, or take out something from freezer, or order takeout, but a warm nourishing meal send with care and love goes a long way to aid in recovery.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:28 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I always love reading ur posts and insights id love to send over a meal if u lived near me!! (far rockaway!)

That’s so sweet of you. First step is I need to get pregnant...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:42 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
That’s so sweet of you. First step is I need to get pregnant...

You deserve a meal! You're always thinking of others with kindness and generosity. And it's a challenging time now. If I lived near you I would totally want to gift you a meal.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:43 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
It’s been awhile since my last baby. I never had anything official set up for me, but I just remember that a friend of mine told me she’s dropping off dinner, dropped off spaghetti and meatballs (I think it was my first child, so just for me and my hub and this would have been after staying at my mom a few weeks). It was just so basic and simple and yummy and I just remember appreciating it so much. I’m a bit of a perfectionist who would never let myself drop off such a basic meal, and I just appreciated it so much. I can’t really explain it. But I still remember it almost 15 years later.

Why are meatballs and spaghetti basic? I’ve had people drop off meals that included salad and soup but when I make dinner I do a carb and protein- chicken and rice, schnitzel and mashed potatoes, etc... and that’s what I send. I hope people don’t look down on me for sending that with no soup/salad/desert! Do most people have all that for dinner regularly?

OP I definitely loved it when people sent fresh desert!

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:56 pm
my best was actually when I had swine flu. Remember about 10 years ago? I was actually pg too, 1s t trimester but noone knew that. anyway, the whole family was sick but I was the sickest. My neighbor offered supper, I was so appreciative I literally cried. It was so simple, roasted chicken and roasted diced potatoes plus a veg. She handed it over the fence because she didnt want to catch it!

To this day, every time I see those type of potatoes I am reminded of her thoughtfullness.

Anon, because I told many people this story.

rising hero

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:10 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Why are meatballs and spaghetti basic? I’ve had people drop off meals that included salad and soup but when I make dinner I do a carb and protein- chicken and rice, schnitzel and mashed potatoes, etc... and that’s what I send. I hope people don’t look down on me for sending that with no soup/salad/desert! Do most people have all that for dinner regularly?

OP I definitely loved it when people sent fresh desert!

When I cook for my family a carb and protein I know if they like it and if it will be enough. For another family I want to make sure that everyone has at least two things that they'll eat or if they're big eaters they shouldnt stay hungry.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:13 am
Someone dropped me off a scrambled egg sandwich the morning after I gave birth. It was divine. I’m a tough person but I go all soft when I remember this act of kindness.

miami85

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:19 am
This might sound funny but my kids loved it, pancakes with frozen yogurt. I figured can't be that much more unhealthy than macaroni and cheese--which my kids don't like.

Another time a mother--a busy person in her own right-- sent over a "kid friendly" supper at like 5pm and then a more adult supper at like 6pm so it was warm when we were ready to eat (I think it was a fast day). I don't remember what the food was. Was so considerate to not delay the kid food and sent over the adult food warm and ready to eat after the fast.

rising hero

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:20 am
My neighbor (who btw also works full time) sent us food a few times. First to the hospital and then when I came home right before tisha bav she sent for before and after the fast plus nosh and tchachkes for the older kids when they came home. She never asked if I need or want she just sent. Shes amazing. Bh for good neighbors.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:21 am
I was craving oatmeal banana chocolate chip muffins when I gave birth to my last baby, for some reason I only get cravings postpartum and they are random. I posted on a group asking for a good recipe because I got desperate enough to actually make them myself 2 days pp and my friend saw and sent over a batch. It was incredible

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:21 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

Really? I’m BH on week 3 of meals from my community (looks like I have 5 weeks of sign ups) is it not done in your community?

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:29 am
I never had a meal delivered but my sweet cousin came and took care of me for two weeks when my first was born and every night she made a new fresh and hearty vegetable soup and fresh baked bread (along with something else too - usually a piece of chicken or fish). For me a hearty soup and freshly baked bread is just the perfect postpartum meal - nourishing and comforting. When I cook meals for new mothers I always try to replicate this.

tichellady

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:42 am
I loved every meal and cried when the meal train ended. I was really nauseated for most of my pregnancy and had a baby who didn’t sleep for a year so any help that I got was very appreciated!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics