Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O Meals postpartum
Previous  1  2

Do you feel up to cooking properly the week after birth?
Yes  
 12%  [ 15 ]
No  
 84%  [ 100 ]
Other, please share  
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 119

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:09 pm
While I physically may feel capable of making easy suppers right after giving birth, it affects me in my recovery process long-term.

(I would love to freeze suppers ahead of time too but have a tiny freezer and no room for another one in my small Brooklyn apartment.)

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:11 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Do you freeze the lasagna raw or cooked?

Completely raw. Raw noodles too. Just add some water to the pan and bake for 2 hrs.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:13 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
I see that many times people post lasagna is so easy to make...

its so time consuming!!! u have to boil the pasta then drain it then spend time layering it etc

Who boils the pasta? You put it in the oven with some water. It cooks fine.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:14 pm
I voted yes because I don’t accept food from others.

But I basically do very light cooking, or pull out stuff that I pre prepared in my freezer, and we fill in with takeout.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:15 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
tried it once. the noodles absorbed all the sauce and water and the actual lasagna was dry and blah

Make sure you put enough water- until the top layer.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:21 pm
Didn't answer the poll. With some births, I did. With others, I didn't. I had severe anemia after one birth, pertussis after another, a baby in and out of the hospital yet another time... No way to predict all this in advance.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:51 pm
My husband never wanted me to take except from family...his brothers etc.
However I feel a new mother needs to he pampered with good satisfying meals. The kids could eat too but they'll do fine with cream cheese sandwiches, fish sticks, frozen pizza, franks etc. Anyhow I took a few meals and shabbos food from mom in law...
After c section my recovery was very tough and had an infection.... putting chicken in oven with spices is no big deal really. I truly believe it helps prevent ppd. Cooking in advance is not possible for me because I have limited freezer space ....I would make extra chicken soup or challa or kugel but not many suppers.
But at one point I made up my mind that I didn't want supper from anyone who has a kid under age 2. Life is so so busy. It was so special my friend ordered from pizza store...but technically I could've done that myself....it did show care, concern, etc

essie14

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 2:03 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I can use 9 months of meals before giving birth, but no one sends them then:(
I have had very easy babies BH and am generally ready to cook 24 hours later.
I don't do gourmet, though.

Same here.

watergirl

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:00 am
I voted no, I am not feeling up to making dinner right after birth. It was really a vote for "no, but". No, I am not "up to it" but I can do it and I have done it. It's ok. This is post 3 C-sections. My first, my ex husband was not at all willing to pitch in. My second and third, my husband was extremely helpful but sometimes I had to do it. Was I up to it? No. Did I deal? Yes.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:15 am
Just saying that a women should NOT be expected to cook so soon. Up to a week if a woman is a drop not feeling well she doesn't need to fast Yom Kippur. And if she's not feeling well within 30 days she should not be fasting either. Come on guys, cooking after a week? Even if you are up to it, you shouldn't do it. It backfires later. Can't we be normal? Rest after a baby for a few weeks and then slowly get back to normal. We have enough stress just being around the noise and family as it is. Maybe I'm just different than everyone here though. I have a super long recovery.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:24 am
I wouldn't even if I felt like it. The birthes were I walked more I bled more. It's a WOUND

jewishmom6

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:32 am
ShishKabob wrote:
Just saying that a women should NOT be expected to cook so soon. Up to a week if a woman is a drop not feeling well she doesn't need to fast Yom Kippur. And if she's not feeling well within 30 days she should not be fasting either. Come on guys, cooking after a week? Even if you are up to it, you shouldn't do it. It backfires later. Can't we be normal? Rest after a baby for a few weeks and then slowly get back to normal. We have enough stress just being around the noise and family as it is. Maybe I'm just different than everyone here though. I have a super long recovery.

yup, my husband was really upset that I bled for so long. It was really hard on him.
It was probably because I was up and about making suppers, cleaning & taking care of kids.
I feel more lousy when I am stuck in the house all day.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:41 am
Bh I felt perfectly fine after both of my births. I actually felt better than dh! I came home from the hospital at 10am, and my husband had to rush to school after dropping me off at home, but he was so exhausted and foggy headed that he forgot to pack lunch. So I made him a bagel on his way out.
I set up both shalom zachors, and I helped set up and party-plan both brissim.
I felt fine both pregnancies from beginning to end, which is a real blessing. I felt bad asking people to cook for me since I really was feeling ok before and after birth, and I over-cooked and froze as many meals that fit into my second freezer. The problem is, I didn’t take into account the help I hired. So I cooked for her. (I hired a live-in for 2 weeks). It wasn’t a big deal cooking up some pasta or throwing chicken into the oven for her. She made her own sandwiches and cereal and milk when needed, but I didn’t want her turning on my oven and stovetop, and it was easier for me to just do it than have to worry about it.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:44 am
No, I was not up to cooking, my dh did that.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:49 am
On the other thread, people were saying a new mom needs healthy food and most dhs can't cook healthy (I don't agree, but that's not my point here).

And yet I see women here planning to make stuff like lasagna or kugel. It would be much simpler and healthier to have dh pop a plain chicken in the oven and slice some cucumbers. Lasagna and kugel are junk food.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:56 am
I happen to be okay after birth, but I still make sure to take it easy.

My mother suffered from pretty severe PPD after birth, with raging moods. It affected some of my siblings in a big way. I discussed this with my doctor when I was pg with my first and he told me to be careful and rest up and take care of myself after birth. I'm very careful to rest and take care of myself post-partum, and B"H have been okay. I sleep and feed the baby and give my other kids attention, but not much else, for about 2 weeks.

My DH will do laundry and vacuuming and organizing, but he happens to be disastrous in the kitchen. Not because he's a guy. I have BIL's who are chefs and cook better than my sisters. It's just because that's who he is. He's more of an N personality than an S like me, for those of you who are into this. Not only would the food likely be inedible, but my kitchen would be a disaster. And I'm the type that can't relax in a mess, so it would be quite counterproductive for DH to cook.

I do freeze meals in advance as much as I can, though I've had hard pg's (strong nausea) so it's not always possible (it does get slightly better in the 9th month, so I do what I can...I've also had sciatica at that point which also complicates moving around...depended on the pg...). We also do takeout. And we do appreciate those who offered us meals, though we certainly didn't expect it, and we didn't want anyone to feel pressured to offer it.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:21 pm
We would have a big prob if my husband was upset I'm bleeding, when I'm the one bleeding, AND because he's not doing much
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics