Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What Amazing meal was sent to you after giving birth
Previous  1  2

silverlining3

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:52 pm
We siblings arrange, after each baby, and have delivered a brunch to the kimpaturin. Usually lasts for 2 days. Scrumptious food!

blessedflower

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 10:04 pm
When I got home from the hospital there was a bag at my door with food. It was a salat, yoghurt, fresh warm paninis and cake. It was perfect for the homecoming. I was exhausted from the long ride and didn't even realize how hungry I was until I saw the food. It was also light enough to eat and go straight in bed.
It was so plain but better than any meal because it was so thoughtful

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 10:52 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Really? I’m BH on week 3 of meals from my community (looks like I have 5 weeks of sign ups) is it not done in your community?

Never got a meal after my baby and not a year later when I had surgery. My neighborhood was super snobby and I wasn't in the clique. BH we moved to a much friendlier neighborhood.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:51 pm
I will never forget a meal sent by a friend after my first baby (and I had officially moved into my mother for two weeks where I made my own grilled cheese sandwiches but that's another story)

She insisted that I tell her when I come back home and sent over soup, main, salad, fruit, dessert. I'm eternally grateful. It was the only time I was ever taken care of - not even pampered but just literally fed.

Next baby I cooked myself supper after the bris. And was so hungry in the hospital that I ate a stale hospital Challah roll after 2 years of being gluten free.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 7:27 am
I don't deserve free. I thank for everything. But if you want to please me, carby and meaty

TravelHearter

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 8:13 am
I still remember when a friend from a different state asked for my address and the next thing I know there is a delivery man outside with waffles, a Greek salad, and a coffee! Perfectly hit the spot!

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 8:47 am
No Amazing Meals, though they're good and convenient and I buy them for overnight business trips. All meal train meals were homemade.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 8:59 am
My SIL sent me food for Shabbos every time I had a baby. Like, enough to feed the Russian army. It's been a while (my baby is 12 B"AH) so I don't remember exactly what she sent, but I do remember 3 types of kugel, and that all of it was homey and delicious. I still appreciate it, all these years later. Whenever I was hungry the next week, I stuck some kugel in the microwave and had a satisfying meal.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:05 am
A friend of mine sent me this delicious lentil and veggie soup. It was simple, but the flavors were excellent.

She sent it at 6 weeks, which was perfect. People tend to forget about you a month after the baby arrives, unless you specifically ask for more. I adopted my daughter, so I felt weird asking. I was physically OK, but poor DD had severe colic, and I don't think I slept more than a few hours the first 3 months of her life! Hypnotized

That lentil soup came when I was at my most exhausted. I could barely even think straight, and I was on my last good nerve. You don't even understand unless you've dealt with major colic or reflux.

That was 17 years ago, and I can still taste that soup if I think about it. It meant so much to me! Heart

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:13 am
My landlord, a bubby type of lady sent over a ton of delicious wholesome homey food. A huge container of rice mixed with potatoes, a delicious vegetable soup, fish and it was right before shavuos so she sent cannoli filled with sweet cheese. It was such a great feeling of being taken care of by this bubby lady. It was there when I came home from the hospital. (In general we really don't have much to do with her, so it was so sweet and thoughtful).
I'm pregnant again and craving those cannolis Laugh

bigsis144

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:17 am
This sounds silly, but after DD was born, one of the meals sent us included grilled chicken, hot dogs, salad and... Tater Tots!

I hadn’t had tater tots since I was a kid and it was such a nostalgic comfort food that I ended up eating almost all of them myself 😆

I’m sure the sender was thinking “between the hot dogs and tater tots, this’ll be kid friendly!” but it ended up being such a fun treat for me.

Also, one of my now-staple potato-zucchini soup recipes came to me via meal train. I ate 4 bowls of it that night!! I’m glad I asked for the recipe because if I hadn’t tasted myself, I don’t think I would have looked at that recipe a second time - it was so simple, I would have assumed it was tasteless, but it was just so yummy! Now I make it all the time.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:32 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
My mother in law send us cauliflower soup,
!

Can you get the recipe and post here? I recently tried one clipped from the newspaper, but it was disappointing. Bland on the one hand and too peppery on the other. No flavor, just the burn of the pepper.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:45 am
About 10 years ago I gave birth to child nr 3 when the oldest was just 3. To say that I was overwhelmed would be an understatement add to that my mom was on chemo so she couldn't help me out with anything (not that I was expecting it). On friday after putting kids to bed for a nap and I finally got to relax I get a knock on the door and my neighbor is there with the most delicious heavenly droolworthy plate of potato kugel. I can still feel the taste of it.
Later I realized it was probably a regular recipe but I was starving and so so appreciative that it tasted like pure heaven. You can never know what your small deed can accomplish!

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:10 pm
I am a therapist in a warm chassidish community. After I had my baby, one of my clients asked my cousin, who also serviced her child, to ask my husband for our address and a good place to order from in my neighborhood as well as what type of food I would like. One fine day there is a knock at my door and delicious food from my favorite eatery is surprisingly being delivered! It was one of the nicest and most thoughtful gestures!! It was enough food for two meals plus! I worked with this lady’s adorable delayed son and I was beyond touched how much she did for me post baby!

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:15 pm
The nicest was someone who ordered delivery to the hospital where I was and also sent to my family at home. Bikkur cholim has been giving us supper but I was getting so tired of eating instant foods for breakfast and lunch and really needed more nutrients with pumping and Nicu lifestyle so that was really appreciated.
The other amazing one was someone who made special shakes for me daily when my hemoglobin was at transfusion level post op and I was so weak .
Another one was someone who went to Costco and stocked up on healthy snacks and filled our hospital room.
I have had so many special people out there throughout our journey.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 1:42 pm
The most delicious meal I received was a pulled Bbq beef roast, jasmine rice, and an amazing salad. I would never expect red meat, it was such a nice surprise, especially because I had hemorrhages and was anemic. My family loved it too! I thanked my friend so profusely and asked for the recipe! Now I love sending a similar meal to post partum moms!

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 2:19 pm
So nice
I am so sick now, 8 mo pregnant and recovering from covid. Zero energy. My kids fed themselves candy all day. I cant get up. I haven't eaten and I have no appetite or energy. My husband should be home from work soon. He will have to feed them.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 2:43 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I don’t think anyone ever sent me a meal after a baby.

Me neither, even though our Pu’ah Shifra organization claim they do.
I get upset because there was a family that needed meals badly. When I found out I let the organization know. They said she was outside their district.
I let them know that no one offered me meals either even though I lived in the neighborhood.

It was erev Shabbos. So I ran to the shop got them food.
Grape juice
2 bags of Challah rolls
2 jars of gefilta fish,
2 bags of salad,
a bottle of dressing,
2 rotisserie chickens,
2 kugels,
and 2 osem cakes.
They were so thankful that someone thought of them.

advocate

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 2:55 pm
It's been nearly 30 years (!), but I still remember a homemade delicious Chinese dinner our neighbors sent. Thank you again, Mrs. N!

spikta

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:21 am
I've gotten so much good food! Too many to list them all. My husband likes "normal" food, my kids are picky, and I like interesting food, so no matter what we get someone will like it. My husband is thrilled to get a steady supply of fresh pans of chicken for a few days, we got a great veggie fritata and carrot cake that felt so nourishing to my body. People who sent hamburgers and hot dogs were beloved by my kids. Oh and I got an amazing vegan broccoli salad once...
No matter what people send, there's something about the act of sending food that makes me feel so cared for. Like the community is wrapping me with love.
And I love making food for people when I have the time. Especially the ones with very specific preferences. Vegetarian? Vegan? Gluten free? All of the above? Sign me up! It's my chance to make all that interesting food that my family is too picky to eat Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics