Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Masks are NOT proven to protect anyone or prevent anything
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 10:45 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
70% of positive cases wore a mask all the time while 4% never did:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volum.....FJj1Y

Is that what you read?

It seems from this article that you just linked that people are most likely to get it either from - contact with family members, or at restaurants and bars. Neither of which are really wearing masks....

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 10:52 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Did you see the article I posted above? Here it is again:
https://www.theblaze.com/op-ed.....masks

The article isn't important. The author includes several links to peer reviewed studies, and probably another dozen links to articles and other sources. Rather than me copy and paste each of them, as I wrote previously, I recommend anyone interested in understanding the science, or in understanding what this debate is about, to review the internal cites.

This article was discussing the flu, so it's not relevant. It also didn't say what you claim it says.

Also. Graphs showing death peaks seemingly unaffected by mask mandates in various countries. Maybe there are other factors at play, but at best, this doesn’t look like a strong showing that the mask mandates accomplished anything.
https://rationalground.com/mask-charts/

Without more information, this is meaningless.

CDC report from a few days ago found that in July, more than 70% of outpatients with covid reported always wearing a mask. Maybe they were all lying about their mask usage. Maybe there was some other benefit brought by the mask, despite getting sick. But this doesn’t demonstrate clear effectiveness of masks.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volum.....H.pdf

And 99% of people who died ate bread. So?

According to the article linked below, contacting coronavirus seems to be linked to either getting it from a close family member (no social distancing and no masks), or from a restaurant or bar - obviously no social distancing or masks...

CDC’s meta analysis of 14 controlled, extended trials in May found no reduction in flu from masks.
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/arti.....ticle

Again, this is about the flu. The flu is not coronavirus. Anyway, I doubt that's what the article really said.

CDC explaining why, in determining whether one had covid exposure, mask wearing isn’t taken into account. In sum, the science is not solid enough: “While research indicates masks may help those who are infected from spreading the infection, there is less information regarding whether masks offer any protection for a contact exposed to a symptomatic or asymptomatic patient. Therefore, the determination of close contact should be made irrespective of whether the person with COVID-19 or the contact was wearing a mask.”
https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru......html

So basically - the mask protects others more than it protects the wearer. Which is exactly what everyone's been saying for the past six months.

And I've found research that indicates that masks protect the wearer as well.

===========

In all honesty, I don't get this obsession with masks. Masks are just part of the bigger picture - social distancing, masks, washing hands, and staying away from crowds and not taking any unavoidable risks. I'm not really sure why safe practices became all about masks - it's not. Do it all.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:42 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
It goes without saying that the soiled masks must be laundered regularly and disposables need to be put in a trash can.

Also, all masks should be changed after 90 minutes or when damp.
They should be changed when you change environments, such as going from 1 store into another. One should be careful that the front and back of a mask doesn't touch so as not to cross contaminate. So, no dropping masks into purses, pockets or knapsacks.

And if all of the above guidelines are not followed, and I can promise you the majority of kids in school wearing a mask for 8 hours a day are sure as heck not following these rules nor are most adults, then the risk for spreading both covid and other diseases via mask wearing, increases significantly.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:09 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
This article was discussing the flu, so it's not relevant. It also didn't say what you claim it says.

I'm confused because you posted this under the Blaze article on covid. What article, and what did I say that it didn't? There were studies cited on coronaviruses and covid specifically.

Mommyg8 wrote:
Without more information, this is meaningless.

If graphs showing that mask policies did not prevent the rising curve of covid in various countries is meaningless, what other information would you like to have seen included to make it meaningful?

Keep in mind, studies purporting to show that mask policies DID prevent the spread of covid, as you asserted exist earlier in the thread and found persuasive, would be similarly meaningless.

Mommyg8 wrote:
And 99% of people who died ate bread. So?

Huh? I'm unclear as to what point you're trying to make. We are told that mask wearing prevents covid infection the majority of time, yet the majority of people in a study conducted by the CDC who had contracted covid, reported wearing masks all the time.

If 70% of people who took a vaccine then contracted the illness, that wouldn't be a very effective vaccine. In fact, prior to this study, CDC director Robert Redfield claimed that mask wearing is more effective at preventing covid than a vaccine will be.

Mommyg8 wrote:
Again, this is about the flu. The flu is not coronavirus. Anyway, I doubt that's what the article really said.

I will be honest. I have tried to be respectful but I'm finding your tone bordering on offensive. First you accused me of claiming there are studies yet not providing any, even though I had. You then accused me of misrepresenting an article and now, of misrepresenting a study that you can easily read yourself.

Mommyg8 wrote:
So basically - the mask protects others more than it protects the wearer. Which is exactly what everyone's been saying for the past six months.

Not quite. Notice the qualifying language, "may". And the CDC will not consider whether EITHER party wore a mask.

Furthermore, if this were settled then anyone who tested for antibodies within the last 3 months would need not wear a mask, as per the CDC's policy that one exposed to someone with covid but who had antibodies within the last 3 months need not quarantine. Nor would vulnerable people need to wear a mask.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:13 pm
Masks may not be the guaranteed method to prevent Covid transmission, just like C-----S (rubbers) arent guranteed to prevent pregnancy, but they definitely decrease the chance of pregnancy.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:20 pm
People are very concerned with absolutes- masks either DO or DON'T work. Country A had no masks and they are doing fine and Country B had masks and they are doing terribly- and so now it is clear.

The issue is far more complicated.

Masks help. They decrease transmission (the virus is aerosolized, rides on droplets that cannot pass the barrier of the mask). When coupled with social distancing, hand washing, etc they decrease transmission.

Obviously the only thing to absolutely eliminate all transmission is to seal every person on the planet in a solitary pod. Obviously this is a terrible idea.

People argue that Sweden did not have a mask mandate and they are doing fine. Sweden also limited all gatherings to less than 50 people, grades over 16 have been remote from the start, restricted domestic travel, and other measures. It has a small household size with few multigenerational households (aka less people catching it from family members) (Sources: https://www.theatlantic.com/he.....548/, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....sures) Swedes describe themselves as prone to social distancing. They did not need masks as their other measures worked- which does not mean that the Swedish model can be taken and applied to other countries. Especially not Jewish communities with large households, social gatherings 3x a day, and active social lives.

(And for those who argue that Israel has a mask mandate and is doing terribly- people regularly do not wear masks and people regularly do not social distance.)

There are a lot of ways to decrease transmission. Masks are the best one we've got.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics