Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Did you have a child not interested in food?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:02 am
My child is a toddler and still only eats a little bit of food. He is a healthy weight and has healthy blood test results because he drinks a lot of formula. I'd estimate that he gets 90% of his calories from formula and only 10% from food. We offer him the yummiest foods and a big variety, so that is not the issue. Even if given ice cream, he will have about ten licks and that is it.

He does fine in daycare because he eats a small amount of the food there, then drinks extra formula when he gets home.

So technically there is no problem, but I'm just wondering if you had a kid like this, when did they start eating food normally?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:05 am
Same here. My toddler doesn't eat a thing. He's on formula. The only things he would eat is yogurt a bread, but it depends on his mood and he doesn't eat it every day. He's not my 1st one with this nature so I'm not really worried about it.
Of course he jumps for cookies and junk.....

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:05 am
I find that my kids aren't terribly interested in food as long as they are nursing. Once they wean (usually around 2 give or take) their eating takes off...
I am hesitant to suggest that you cut out formula though if that is his main source of nutrition... seems risky... maybe talk to his doctor?

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:06 am
The key is that he fills up on formula. When you decide that you want to stop/reduce the formula, I think his interest in food will pick up dramatically.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:07 am
Rappel wrote:
The key is that he fills up on formula. When you decide that you want to stop/reduce the formula, I think his interest in food will pick up dramatically.

I've tried to cut out formula, it doesn't help. The child will just cry and cry till you give in. You can't force a kid to eat.

Success10

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:09 am
How old? My dd was like this as a tot and in retrospect, she probably had sensory issues. She is a picky eater until today (10yo) but obviously much better. Not much to do but keep trying. And I don't necessarily believe in taking away the formula. They might not be ready for solids and you'll be depriving them of their only nutrients.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:16 am
Success10 wrote:
How old? My dd was like this as a tot and in retrospect, she probably had sensory issues. She is a picky eater until today (10yo) but obviously much better. Not much to do but keep trying. And I don't necessarily believe in taking away the formula. They might not be ready for solids and you'll be depriving them of their only nutrients.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:19 am
BTW, DH is not typical about food. He is a healthy weight, on the thin side but not underweight, but he doesn't understand how other people can over eat. He just doesn't get eating past when you are full. Also he likes meat and will eat some salads but isn't at all tempted by lasagna, pizza, desserts. I love food and always have.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:20 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I've tried to cut out formula, it doesn't help. The child will just cry and cry till you give in. You can't force a kid to eat.

Exactly. My kid WILL eat, but not nearly enough. His digestive system works fine, the desire just isn't there.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:21 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I find that my kids aren't terribly interested in food as long as they are nursing. Once they wean (usually around 2 give or take) their eating takes off...
I am hesitant to suggest that you cut out formula though if that is his main source of nutrition... seems risky... maybe talk to his doctor?

He's davka my only kid that I didn't nurse.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:23 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Same here. My toddler doesn't eat a thing. He's on formula. The only things he would eat is yogurt a bread, but it depends on his mood and he doesn't eat it every day. He's not my 1st one with this nature so I'm not really worried about it.
Of course he jumps for cookies and junk.....

Mine will take a cookie, but I don't think he's ever even eaten an entire cookie.

At what age did your other kids like him start eating normally?

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:25 am
My son is nearly 2.
At the babysitter he will eat whatever she feeds him (chicken. Meatballs. Rice. Veg. Soup!) at home he won’t eat anything! Besides for yoghurt (which I mix with cheese to make it more filling) and bread (with choc spread...) he’ll also eat crackers and rice cakes sometimes.
He has one bottle of formula at night and one in the morning. But he doesn’t always finish the morning one...
I go crazy!! Over sukkos we were all home together and eating all meals together. I thought it would make a difference but he wasn’t interested in anything (pizza. Chips. Schnitzel. Sausages. NOTHING!!!)

He’s a lively boy and Bh has lots of energy runs around etc so I’m not so worried... my little brother used to only eat pasta and bread...
Suppose some kids are like that!!!!

Success10

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

3 is big. Have you spoken to your doctor?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:33 am
My DD lived on love and air as a toddler (and she refused solids till well past her first birthday).

She never had formula, and I stopped nursing her at 18 months. She slowly started eating, in tiny amounts.

She's an adult today and eats normally, is not even a picky eater.

I think we mothers sometimes drive ourselves crazy needlessly.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Mine will take a cookie, but I don't think he's ever even eaten an entire cookie.

At what age did your other kids like him start eating normally?

At around 2 they started eating properly. Still a limited amount of food but no more formula.
At 3 I'd be more concerned, 3 isn't a baby anymore. At 3 it might maybe be a behavioral or sensory issue.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:47 am
Chayalle wrote:
My DD lived on love and air as a toddler (and she refused solids till well past her first birthday).

She never had formula, and I stopped nursing her at 18 months. She slowly started eating, in tiny amounts.

She's an adult today and eats normally, is not even a picky eater.

I think we mothers sometimes drive ourselves crazy needlessly.

This. When my oldest wasn't eating, the doctor explained to me that mothers think the kids need to eat alot but they really don't need to eat as much as we think. We shouldn't run after our kids to get them to eat. Just put the food in front of them and look away, let them explore the food on their own. This really helped my toddler start eating more. First she'd play with her food and made a giant mess, it was everywhere but in her mouth. Slowly she started eating more.

tichellady

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:20 am
My two year old does not each much. I try not to worry about it. She is not even interested in dessert. I found ellyn sater’s book very helpful for dealing with her eating

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 2:20 pm
Just a couple thoughts. I could be totally off.
My son refused food and was actually losing weight. After many crazy months of trying to figure it out, we found out 2 things. First he had silent reflux so it was uncomfortable to eat. He wouldn't eat real food or snacks. Second we found out he had a sensory processing disorder (part of how we didn't know he had silent reflux), and didn't like most textures in his mouth. After a while on medication (for the reflux) and a few years of therapy (feeding and OT), he finally started eating. Fast forward 14 years. He still is picky on textures, but eats well.

Sewsew_mom

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 2:24 pm
My 7 year old would be happy if she never had to eat again. She doesn't care for food. She literally eats cus she'll collapse if not. My husband and I love food 🤣🤣. My 10 ur old and 5 yr old eat but they don't think about good all day...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics