Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where do Jews go next?
  Previous  1  2  3  4 11  12  13  Next

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:28 pm
Reality wrote:
It always surprises me when the overwhelming answer to this type of question isn't Israel.

I just don't understand.

They say it's unwise to make aliya with preteens and teens

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:28 pm
So Israel is hot too should we stop being Jews in our way? said by someone who doesn't do shtreimel and thick tights

Blessing1

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:29 pm
Reality wrote:
It always surprises me when the overwhelming answer to this type of question isn't Israel.

I just don't understand.

Israel has it's own issues. Life isn't a bed of roses there either. It's not easy to uproot a family and move to Israel.

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why the hate though?

Hate? Maybe my tone of amusement didn't come through my keyboard.

Florida just doesn't seem like the natural safe-haven for chassidic life. It's hugely over-regulated, on a micro and macro level. The weather, wildlife, and natural climate is inhospitable to many; kal vechomer when you're obligated to wear clothing suited to Poland/Russia. It's one of the major gateways for cocaine into the US, and crime is not small there.

Btw - I love Florida. I have cousins up and down the West coast, my best childhood memories are from our visits, and if I could, I would live in Myakka River State Park. I love how you can set your watch by the afternoon thunderstorm, and the humidity, the sandy mangroves, the alligators and air plants and the Spanish moss drooping over tangles of Saw Palmettos. I love the herons and the pelicans.

But when I heard the plan to fill up a development in Tampa, it didn't seem like a good fit. As Blessing1 said above, the very premise of the plan is to take over a high-demand area and turn it into a new New York. There is going to be pushback, and it won't be pretty. Sad

They would have done better to move somewhere remote and build it up.

Ruchel

Israel without good hebrew leads to difficult parnassa. If you plan on kolell that's something else. My husband visited USA and the hebrew level was lower even than here

amother
Lavender

amother [ OP ] wrote:
USA doesn’t feel like a Medina shel chesed anymore if you live in NY. What would be the next destination if need be?

Russia?
Belarus?
Poland?
Mexico?
Somalia?
India?
Spain?
Germany?

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:34 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Excuse me, this is really not a nice comment. Many, if not most Chassidish women dress the same as non chassidish women. We shop at the same stores. We're not some creatures from a different planet. Stockings don't make any difference in the stifling Florida heat, everyone is hot. And I don't know any chassidish women that wear 4 layers. This is probably one of the most disgusting comments about chassidish.

I can't understand your anger...

And yes, stockings or no stockings makes a huge difference in the heat...

Reality

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:36 pm
gold21 wrote:

I know that.

But we are talking about moving because life where you currently live is unliveable.

If it's so bad in NY I'm not risking moving to another state where it could be just as bad in the future.

iyar

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:37 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Excuse me, this is really not a nice comment. Many, if not most Chassidish women dress the same as non chassidish women. We shop at the same stores. We're not some creatures from a different planet. Stockings don't make any difference in the stifling Florida heat, everyone is hot. And I don't know any chassidish women that wear 4 layers. This is probably one of the most disgusting comments about chassidish.

Please don't be upset. I don't think she meant to offend. Stockings do make a difference. Don't try telling me the young lady with bare feet in her flip flops is as hot as me walking next to her in my stockings. I won't elaborate on our upper body attire and head coverings (or lack of one) but again she's no way as overheated as I am. I thought the one wearing four layers of shirt was a man, and at least one of those layers was wool. Nobody would compare that to a nice thin cotton tee on a stifling humid afternoon.
I'm with Rappel here though. The natural habitat of the Jew is not any part of the US, not any one of the five boroughs and their neighbors, not sunny Florida and not North Dakota. Deep down we all know where we belong. True it's not clear-cut that yishuv Eretz Yisrael is a mitzvah today but that chance alone makes it seem the obvious choice if we're packing our bags.

etky

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:37 pm
Uganda?
Birobidjan?
Argentina? (the Pampas..)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:38 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

Agree.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:38 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Honestly, the problem is more that we forgot we're in galos and we became too comfortable here.
If we don't change, we'll have the same issues wherever we go.
That said, we'd be much better off in Republican states.

What makes you say this?

Many Republican states have worse health insurance, especially for children, they do not approve of food stamp programs or rent subsidies...

So dependending on your income bracket, you could be much worse off in a Republican state... [list]

iyar

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:40 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Russia?
Belarus?
Poland?
Mexico?
Somalia?
India?
Spain?
Germany?

BTDT
All of the above.
Not exactly a stellar success.

Rappel

Blessing1 wrote:

4 layers - undershirt, wool tsitsit, button down shirt, coat. That's all I meant. Don't eat me.

And yes, nylon and polyester and multiple layers do make a big difference in the Florida heat. Your body needs to be able to cool itself. Loose cotton clothing are the answer to not ending up in an ambulance. Alternatively, you have to spend your life indoors. But who wants to live that way?

Last edited by Rappel on Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

amother [ OP ] wrote:
USA doesn’t feel like a Medina shel chesed anymore if you live in NY. What would be the next destination if need be?
Im sorry, I am not going to tell everyone to make aliyah, but if you need or want to leave where you live because it doesnt feel good for jews anymore, then how is Israel not your destination?
Israel is literally a JEWISH STATE.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:41 pm
etky wrote:
Uganda?
Birobidjan?
Argentina? (the Pampas..)

Uganda is nice and green, but also hot and damp... the whole year round... not that good an infrastructure...

Birobidjan and Argentina (fireland?) might be winners, climate- wise....

amother
OP

Reality wrote:

I just don't understand.

If we’re trying to run away from hate I’m not sure Israel is the answer (before Moshiach comes).

enneamom

gold21 wrote:

Yes. Wouldn't it be great though if we had a major American influx, enough to create our own sort of micro frum American society within Israel, with our own schools and all? Maybe even get enough people over to change Israel's politics entirely via voting.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:42 pm
Fox wrote:
G-d willing, our galus will end soon and we'll all be in Eretz Yisroel, presumably with high-speed Internet.

However, it did strike me over the Yomim Tovim that perhaps Hashem is preparing other countries in the Middle East for us.
Do explain?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If we’re trying to run away from hate I’m not sure Israel is the answer (before Moshiach comes).
Im sorry but the hate that is being felt in some parts of america now is pashut NOT felt here in Israel. Trust me. Please.
Page 3 of 13   Previous  1  2  3  4 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating