Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Pump Recommendations

questionanswer

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:18 pm
Looking for advice and experiences from the imas!

My insurance will give me up to $500 for a pump. Ideally I'd like a true hands free and I've seen a bunch of new ones on the market. Needs to be a work horse as I work full-time and pump for a year.

Last baby I bought a Spectera. Was disappointed in how big it was (from it's pictures thought it was much smaller) and did not find it to be much better at extracting milk than the pump in style, though it was more "comfortable". I ended up going back to my trusty medela pump in style.

My current pump in style is about 10 -12 years old and going strong. It gets the job done and enough milk out, but I find that milk is left behind and uncomfortable. It also requires me to be involved in let down. However, it works and is reliable.

I want a pump I can rely on and am nervous that the hands free ones I see are from companies I haven't heard of with complaints about reliability. Also, do they really work? Are they quiet?

Hoping some of you have tried some new things and can let me know!

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:21 pm
questionanswer wrote:
Looking for advice and experiences from the imas!

My insurance will give me up to $500 for a pump. Ideally I'd like a true hands free and I've seen a bunch of new ones on the market. Needs to be a work horse as I work full-time and pump for a year.

Last baby I bought a Spectera. Was disappointed in how big it was (from it's pictures thought it was much smaller) and did not find it to be much better at extracting milk than the pump in style, though it was more "comfortable". I ended up going back to my trusty medela pump in style.

My current pump in style is about 10 -12 years old and going strong. It gets the job done and enough milk out, but I find that milk is left behind and uncomfortable. It also requires me to be involved in let down. However, it works and is reliable.

I want a pump I can rely on and am nervous that the hands free ones I see are from companies I haven't heard of with complaints about reliability. Also, do they really work? Are they quiet?

Hoping some of you have tried some new things and can let me know!

Are you talking bait the willow or the Elvie? Because they are more than $500.

If your talking about the other hands free pumps, they are known not to be as strong as the pump in style.

questionanswer

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:23 pm
I'm willing to put in my own funds for a true hands free that does the job and is reliable.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:28 pm
questionanswer wrote:
I'm willing to put in my own funds for a true hands free that does the job and is reliable.

I haven’t heard real reviews on the elvie but the willow is supposed to be IT!

I pumped for a year, too!

Hatzlacha Mama!

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:29 pm
If you’re on Facebook, there’s a group dedicated to discussing the pros and cons of both. It’s called Willow & Elvie Pump Group. Great information on there.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:30 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Are you talking bait the willow or the Elvie? Because they are more than $500.

If your talking about the other hands free pumps, they are known not to be as strong as the pump in style.

Both pumps are $499.

questionanswer

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:01 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
If you’re on Facebook, there’s a group dedicated to discussing the pros and cons of both. It’s called Willow & Elvie Pump Group. Great information on there.

I don't have Facebook. But I thanks for the info. Do you have personal experience?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 11:02 am
one of my friends has the elvie and does not stop raving about it.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 11:29 am
Looked into the willow but did not want to ha e to buy the expensive and small bags you need for it. Tried my luck with the freemie and love it. I work full time as a programmer and pump from my desk everyday and can even be on the phone because it’s so quiet.

flapsmom

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 12:00 pm
I viewed a couple of YouTube videos where ppl bought a hand free pump and then connected it to the medela or spectra so that they had the power plus the convenience!! Btw, a pump is no way meant to last 10 years! Even a new one of the same model will work better!

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 12:49 pm
flapsmom wrote:
I viewed a couple of YouTube videos where ppl bought a hand free pump and then connected it to the medela or spectra so that they had the power plus the convenience!! Btw, a pump is no way meant to last 10 years! Even a new one of the same model will work better!

theres hands free and then theres portable.

the medela pump in style vs the freestyle do not have the same power, same with the spectra s1/s2 vs s9.

the willow and elvie are portable AND have power.

flapsmom

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 4:04 pm

the medela pump in style vs the freestyle do not have the same power, same with the spectra s1/s2 vs s9.

Right, I viewed a few videos where the user used the freemie cups with the spectra s2 or the pump in style.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 4:07 pm
flapsmom wrote:
Right, I viewed a few videos where the user used the freemie cups with the spectra s2 or the pump in style.

but that only makes the pump hands free but not portable, I.e. you cant walk around with it.

I assumed OP was looking for a pump she could walk around with, but I see she only wrote hands free and not portable.

questionanswer

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 8:34 pm

Bumping up this thread. Can you tell me more about willow and elvie?

questionanswer

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 8:39 pm
Bumping to see if I'll get more responses.

Anyone with personal experience, especially with elvie or willow, who can tell me true ongoing costs, reliability, etc. I don't have Facebook and while I read reviews I'd love to hear from real people.

As mentioned above, last time I went with the Spectra and was not super impressed. Do I try an elvie/willow knowing my pump in style still works or just go tried and true and get a new PIS? (Current model is over a decade).

Thank you!!

questionanswer

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:51 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:

Bumping as baby is born and going back to work and would love more info.

I don't have Facebook but would love to get connected to the group vermilion referenced above. Can someone give me get quick instructions on how to do that If I get access to a Facebook account would I just search for that group?

Also, any more imas out there to tell me about their experience with these pumps?

Thank you!!

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:01 am
Following
What’s with the new medela max pump?

questionanswer

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:48 pm
One last try to bump....

number

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:06 pm
https://www.instagram.com/stor.....1264/