Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Who makes the cholent?
1  2  Next

Who makes the cholent?
Me  
 68%  [ 101 ]
DH  
 31%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 148

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:40 pm
Out of curiosity, based on a discussion with DH...who makes the cholent in your house?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:42 pm
Me. All food is made by me. DH does exactly two things in the kitchen only, but they are both super important. He makes the coffee. He cleans up the dirty pots/ dishes.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:43 pm
Sometimes me, sometimes DH.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:47 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Me. All food is made by me. DH does exactly two things in the kitchen only, but they are both super important. He makes the coffee. He cleans up the dirty pots/ dishes.

I do most of the cooking, but I’ve never made cholent in my life! DH has since we got married, many years ago.

I always do the dishes though. Somehow that became my job.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:51 pm
Dh offered to spice the Cholent. I’d have to cut the potatoes boil the beans sauté the meat and cleanup. No thanks honey.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:05 pm
Hmm, pretty even so far. DH said he thinks it’s mostly women making cholent, even though he and his brothers do it.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:06 pm
I make it now, my ex used to make it.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:10 pm
Other. My son.

I didn't know how to make chulent when we got married. Dh made it every week before he went to work for years. Eventually, I learned and took over. Recently, my son learned and now he does it after school.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:17 pm
My husband made the cholent for quite a number of years until he really didn’t have time and it was literally happening by the zman Shabbos. I’ve been making it for the last few years and he doesn’t stop complimenting it. The only men I know who make it are his brothers, both my mother and mother in law, and all my friends make it.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:30 pm
Other - my son. My husband made it the first few years we were married (completely his idea, he liked his own cholent better), and then somehow my son took over. When he went away to yeshiva it was the next son... and so on.

I think I can count on the fingers of one hand how often I've made the cholent (and I definitely needed my son on speed dial to help me with the recipe ...)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:34 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Other - my son. My husband made it the first few years we were married (completely his idea, he liked his own cholent better), and then somehow my son took over. When he went away to yeshiva it was the next son... and so on.

I think I can count on the fingers of one hand how often I've made the cholent (and I definitely needed my son on speed dial to help me with the recipe ...)

So definitely not just a ladies job!

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:35 pm
I have no idea how to make it 🙈!

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:38 pm
Neither. We eat Chulent at shul. But if anyone were to make it It’s be me: I’m the cook of the family

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:43 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I have no idea how to make it 🙈!

Same! Never made cholent once in 10 years of marriage. My husband made it the first time because he had done it in yeshiva with his friends and I hadnt a clue what to do...and hes been doing it ever since. I love it

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:54 pm
I do all the cooking. So me. But my husband doesn't really like chulent so I make it just once or twice a month.

My parents - usually my mother but sometimes my father makes it. Or they do it together.

I have one brother who loves cooking and makes the chulent and another who doesn't cook at all.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:55 pm
I put it up Friday morning so it's ready for lunch. DH adds spice before the zman. I think men think it’s a minhag yisroel to add spice to the chalont right before shabbos.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:12 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Same! Never made cholent once in 10 years of marriage. My husband made it the first time because he had done it in yeshiva with his friends and I hadnt a clue what to do...and hes been doing it ever since. I love it

Only been married for 4 but same story Smile

amother
Red

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:29 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Dh offered to spice the Cholent. I’d have to cut the potatoes boil the beans sauté the meat and cleanup. No thanks honey.

Why bother boiling the beans and sautéing the meat? Just extra work.
(I voted that my husband makes it.)

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:31 pm
First dozen years I did. Then dh took over the cholent. He also started cooking the eggs and sometimes makes the steak. It's such a relief since we both work so preparing shabbos now is easier on me BH.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:41 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:

Same here. Dh does two very important things in the kitchen,
he tastes the food. He eats the food
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen