Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Crohns post Yom Tov constipation help

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 1:52 pm
My young dd has crohns and she is on medication and it is very under control a few years already. .
Consistently after a long Yom Tov she suffers from very bad constipation. We forgot to address it now during Yom Tov and she is in tremendous pain now. The dr said it may take 2 weeks to clear with mirelex (she just had a clear colonoscopy so we now it’s nothing major).
Any suggestions on food or diet to help speed it up or at least be more comfortable. She is asking me for ideas and I just don’t know. Thanks.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 2:00 pm
Is it hard and impacted? I find liquid suppositories to be very helpful. Also magnesium every night before bed. And of course water.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 2:21 pm
Right now there is no movement. The GI doesn’t want to give something stronger.
All I have for pain relief is a hot water bottle on her abdomen. I feel so bad for her.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 2:28 pm
Maybe a bath with epson salts. And massage?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 2:54 pm
Thank you for the ideas.

yochTR

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:24 pm
My husband is suffering for years from Crohns. Surgery, hospital, ICU and all.

Unfortunately this coming along with it. It’s gonna take some time till her bowel movements reach back to Pre-Yom tov. Until then hang in there.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 4:50 pm
yochTR wrote:
My husband is suffering for years from Crohns. Surgery, hospital, ICU and all.

Unfortunately this coming along with it. It’s gonna take some time till her bowel movements reach back to Pre-Yom tov. Until then hang in there.

I think it is important to state that this is NOT everyone's experience. Many people with Crohns have very mild symptoms, some none at all.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 5:02 pm
Does your child like watermelon? I found that eating a big bowl of watermelon after dinner makes a huge difference, and usually the next day (or two days at the most) things are back to working as usual. Other types of melon don't work. I think it has to do with the type of dietary fiber, and the amount of liquid in the watermelon.

The best thing is, it doesn't cause me any cramping. I have IBS, and my belly is very sensitive to any sort of stimulant. I can't even have gum with Xylitol in it.

Prune juice mixed with grape juice can help, too. I find that grape blends with the prune flavor the best. Don't try it with orange juice, it's really gross IMHO.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 5:03 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I think it is important to state that this is NOT everyone's experience. Many people with Crohns have very mild symptoms, some none at all.

Yes, this is true.
Many many people have crohns, and many dont have their lives turned upside down from it.
From experience

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 5:05 pm
Avoid all binding foods like breads, rice, crackers, bananas etc
Go crazy on prunes, peaches, canned fruit, watermelon

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 6:58 pm
Thanks for the food ideas

We know all about crohns and normal life. I have a few siblings with it and bH all are living pain free and med free and regular diet lives bH. I just hope that for my dd.

mom of three bh

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:21 pm
op, did you try the alternative health route? pm me

yochTR

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 9:42 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Yes, this is true.
Many many people have crohns, and many dont have their lives turned upside down from it.
From experience

Missed the point. Of course there is a huge range. From mild to severe.
Was just acknowledging the post Tom tov pain.
For those that have it, it sucks but it will pass iyh!

SuperWify

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:00 pm
Ask your doctor is you can take the Shaklee constipation vitamins. It really works.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics