Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
New kitchen cabinets paint is chipping

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 1:09 pm
We just got it installed and painted. It is custom. Why is it chipping just from a little water dripping?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 1:22 pm
Painting done by a cabinetmaker will not hold up as well as factory painted finishes, which are heat set.

But painted finishes, heat set or not, will chip. Paint lies on the surface of the wood. Unlike stains, paint does not soak in at all. You need to clean up any spills or drips immediately so the water doesn't have a chance to seep in between the wood and the paint.

In general, water damage to cabinets will not be covered under warranty.

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 1:32 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Painting done by a cabinetmaker will not hold up as well as factory painted finishes, which are heat set.

But painted finishes, heat set or not, will chip. Paint lies on the surface of the wood. Unlike stains, paint does not soak in at all. You need to clean up any spills or drips immediately so the water doesn't have a chance to seep in between the wood and the paint.

In general, water damage to cabinets will not be covered under warranty.

Even so - It still sounds strange. I doubt OP left a puddle of water on her vertical cabinet doors for hours. It sounds physically impossible.

(I'm not questioning your vast kitchen designing expertise. But as a hobby woodworker, I have trouble imagining why water-resistant paint, applied to raw sanded wood, couldn't handle a few drops. Assuming she got her cabinets painted by a professional, there's no way he would have steered her to use an impractical paint.)

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 4:11 pm
Rappel wrote:
Even so - It still sounds strange. I doubt OP left a puddle of water on her vertical cabinet doors for hours. It sounds physically impossible.

(I'm not questioning your vast kitchen designing expertise. But as a hobby woodworker, I have trouble imagining why water-resistant paint, applied to raw sanded wood, couldn't handle a few drops. Assuming she got her cabinets painted by a professional, there's no way he would have steered her to use an impractical paint.)

A few drops once in a while? Yes. I agree. But water can easily drip or splash onto a sink cabinet with nobody noticing. If that happens regularly, the paint will not hold up. It could soften and crack, or maybe there's a pinpoint hole creating an opening for water.

Also, sometimes a countertop with a full bullnose edge will actually channel water onto the cabinet. Some cabinet pulls could do the same.

Amarante

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 4:42 pm
It might be semantics.

To me the word "dripping" implies a somewhat steady state of water versus water "splashing" which means some water got on a surface momentarily.

As Rubber Ducky wrote, paint is more delicate than stain and a paint job done by a local shop is less strong than paint done at a factory where they use special equipment.

But the bottom line is that kitchen cabinets are essentially wood furniture. They have a somewhat stronger finish than regular finish but they still need to be treated as you would treat any type of wood surface - painted or stained.

Where did the dripping occur and where is it being chipped. How long ago was it installed and what does your cabinetmaker say about the issue?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 8:50 am
We live in a rental with cheap cabinets and sinks. The sink and tap are very small so whenever I wash up, water goes everywhere! The counter and cabinet below that are water damaged as a result.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics