Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cooking most of shabbos on Thursday

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:20 pm
Don’t want to leave it all for Friday now that days are getting shorter.
I work every morning. Do grocery shopping early in week.
What tasks/cooking make sense to do on Thursday evening and what to leave for Friday?

Trying to organize myself so I don’t get overwhelmed.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:24 pm
In the winter the only thing I do on Friday is turn the crockpot on.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:26 pm
I do everything on Thursday besides for the cholent.

sky

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:30 pm
Thursday night:
Marinate salmon - bake Friday morning. Or just spice and bake then.
Prep soup in pot - water, vegetable, salt. Chicken sep in net then Friday morning I put chicken in pot and put in flame.
Kugel is baked Thursday.
Chicken and hot veggies prepped and oven ready on Thursday. Friday stick in oven before Shabbos.
Cholent is fully prepped and spiced in crockpot I keep meat seperate.
All desserts and kugels are fully done.

Friday morning before work
Add chicken to soup put. Put in flame.
Add meat to Cholent pot - but on base. (Can be done Thursday)
Bake salmon if not done.

Friday before Shabbos
Stick chicken and vegetables in oven so will be ready for candle lighting (1-2 hrs before)
1/2 hr stick all other food prepped into oven to heat for Shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:38 pm
Thanks!

Sky, How long does all that take you on Thursday?
Do you do it in evening ??
Do you make the same thing every shabbos?

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:45 pm
When I work away from home on short Fridays, the only thing I leave for Friday is boiling water (and making fruit salad, which I can do after licht benchen if need be). Everything else including salad is made by Thursday night--but I don't put dressing on the salad.

Soup is started earlier in the week so that I can strain the broth, chill it overnight or longer, and skim off the fat before adding veggies and seasonings. Soup tastes better the longer it matures so I prefer to have it fully cooked early in the week and just heat it up on Friday. And tastes better still on shabbat day after sitting on the blech all night.

Challah I bake once in three or four weeks and freeze--and since it's frozen anyway, I usually make it on Sunday or Monday. Some people underbake it, freeze, and then bake for 10-15 minutes just before licht benchen so it's 'fresh from the oven.' My oven is where I store random cookware so I don't want to start with that potchkerei just before shabbat.

If we're having cholent, it all goes in the pot in the fridge Thursday night. Either I put it on the stove as soon as I get home Friday, or I leave a note for dh to do so at X o'clock. if Friday is REALLY short, I fill the kettle in the morning before work and leave him a note to boil the water at X o'clock. Before dh started working from home on Fridays it was the kids' job once they were old enough to use a stove without supervision.

if you're going to buy your chicken early in the week but prefer to cook Thursday, I suggest freezing it right away or at the very least removing it from the plastic wrap and refrigerating it in a pot. Leaving it in the wrappings fosters spoilage. You can always unwrap it, season it, add whatever sauce you want to cook it in, and freeze or refrigerate it that way, ready to thaw and cook 'as is'.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 8:57 pm
Challah - I like to make it on Friday, or Thursday night when shkia's earlier to be part of a group. But only once a month or so.
Soup and kneidlach - can be frozen
Israeli salad - chop all but tomatoes on Thursday. Add tomatoes Friday afternoon. Drain.
Chicken - you can prep raw and freeze. Or take frozen legs and add cooled flavored fried onions, put back in freezer. Put in oven a half hour early
Kugel - can be frozen, or made as early as Wed. and refrigerated
Marinated or cooked salads - Thursday
Dessert - frozen, made Thursday, fresh fruit, etc.

Fish - Thursday or erev Shabbos
Liver and eggs (in which case no fish) - Thursday
OR deli salad. Really easy. Make dressing earlier in the week.
Cholent - I make it every other week. I make two bags side by side in the crockpot, leaving out potatoes in one that I freeze. Alternating weeks, add potatoes. Make erev Shabbos. (But can fry onions if desired early, soak beans, check barley early.)
Salads - marinated, Thursday. Or relish tray
Dessert

Shalosh seudos
Usually tuna, make erev Shabbos
If early enough you can have lox and cream cheese
Deviled eggs
Dips (and/or for other meals)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:02 pm
I did it!
Just finished all prep
Shouldn’t take more than 15 min to do all the finishings tomorrow.

B’H!! 😅

Thanks for all the pointers

sky

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 11:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks!

Sky, How long does all that take you on Thursday?
Do you do it in evening ??
Do you make the same thing every shabbos?

I do almost everything Thursday evening.
It takes like 2-3 hrs. But tons of interruptions. My cleaning lady does all my peeling. It takes her 1/2 hr and saves me tons time. So potatoes and veggies are just ready to assemble.
My grocery store sells ready to cook chicken for the same price as reg ($2.99/lb for chicken bottoms) I’ll often buy that to save time.
I have my basic menu. Like salmon, soup, chicken, kugel, 2 salads, 2veg, dessert, compote, cake... but will make diff recipes. Like this week it’s butternut squash. Last week was green beans

So glad that it worked for you. It makes Friday so pleasant.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 12:01 am
Only way I manage is if

Tuesday prepare shopping list
Wednesday grocery order & unpack, cook soup & gefilte as necessary
Thursday cook eggs & cut, season, prep and place in pan in fridge anything that needs to be put up on Friday
Friday plug in cholent, urn and warming appliance & roast pans from fridge

flowerpower

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 12:07 am
The only thing I do Friday is the cholent. Otherwise the table is set and all food is cooked on Thursday.

Fresh salad needs to be prepped then. Otherwise try to push it into your Thursday Schedule if you can

flowerpower

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 12:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I did it!
Just finished all prep
Shouldn’t take more than 15 min to do all the finishings tomorrow.

B’H!! 😅

Thanks for all the pointers

Yay! Feels good I’m sure

coloredleaves

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 12:22 am
This is a very helpful thread!!!!! I feel
More organized just reading it. I am just wondering for the challah sort, how do people make enough Challah if making it only one or twice a month? I find it very messy and would love to make it only every other week or three weeks. But I am a family of 6 and we like challah so people wnat two or three pieces in a meal. I make one large and one small challah per meal Including shaleshudis which my husband makes a family meal. So my 5-6 lb bag of challah makes 3 medium/ large challahs and a few rolls or six pretty smallish challahs. Either way We use it all in one shabbas. Occasionally I may have one or two rolls or one medium challah left over, but not even always. What am I doing wrong?

Do u make double batches? Or very small challahs with only one piece a person? Or have smaller families where two rolls or a Very small challah and roll is enough?

sky

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 2:06 am
I make a small batch every week. I have a bread machine on my counter. I put up 6.5 cups of flour on Thursday. Sometimes I shape Thursday. ReFridge and bake sometime Friday. Or shape early Friday morning quickly. It’s 3 Loaves. I once bought pans that you just put dough in without braiding and do that if I don’t have time.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:47 am
coloredleaves wrote:
This is a very helpful thread!!!!! I feel
More organized just reading it. I am just wondering for the challah sort, how do people make enough Challah if making it only one or twice a month? I find it very messy and would love to make it only every other week or three weeks. But I am a family of 6 and we like challah so people wnat two or three pieces in a meal. I make one large and one small challah per meal Including shaleshudis which my husband makes a family meal. So my 5-6 lb bag of challah makes 3 medium/ large challahs and a few rolls or six pretty smallish challahs. Either way We use it all in one shabbas. Occasionally I may have one or two rolls or one medium challah left over, but not even always. What am I doing wrong?

Do u make double batches? Or very small challahs with only one piece a person? Or have smaller families where two rolls or a Very small challah and roll is enough?

I'd probably have to make more often if there were more of us on a regular basis.
If I'm making challah, I like to be part of a group, which means Thursday after shkia or erev Shabbos; why not give chizuk to someone else. But if this were at the expense of my menuchas hanefesh I'd make it earlier in the week, and say some Tehillim for a name that's passed on to me.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:51 am
Shop on Wednesday
Cook everything Thursday evening about 4-5hrs.
I leave the kitchen a complete mess and let the cleaning lady worry about it in the am

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 1:42 pm
Was a complete game changer today.
I’m so relaxed.
So happy I forced myself to do h The prep last night.
Weird how cooking on Friday was literally all day but when I break it into 2 days it’s half the time ?? 🤔

amother
Green

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 1:55 pm
I work on Fridays so I do it all Thursday night:

Challah: make big batches early in the week to last several weeks.
Soup and kneidlach : every few weeks I make big batches and freeze in small containers.
Kugel or roasted potatoes: I make a few kugels at a time and freeze extra or chop potatoes spice and bake. Done Thursday night.
Chicken: either make Thursday night or prep lots of raw breaded schnitzel and freeze so I just take out what I need and pop in the oven. Done Thursday night.
Vegetable side: easy roasted green beans from a frozen bag, or mixed roasted vegetables or broccoli or cauliflower. Done Thursday night.
Cholent: prep it all Thursday night. Put it in the fridge with water and raw eggs on top. Put it in the crockpot right before shabbos.
Salad: clean romaine lettuce (yeah I live out of town and refuse to pay $6 for a bag of lettuce I will finish myself in 1 sitting!!!) Either Thursday night or earlier in the week if I had time.
Dessert: easy chocolate chip sticks or Hershey chocolate cake. Also made in large batches and frozen.

So last night all I did was prep my cholent, roast pre breaded schnitzel, roast potatoes, roast variety of vegetables. Took about an hr and half.
Today I took out challah, soup, kneidlach, dessert, and that is it!

Rachel Shira

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 2:25 pm
I shop Wednesday and do almost everything on Thursday. But I also make a super super simple menu - challah, one dip, fish, and cholent, sometimes salad, for Shabbos day. Friday night just challah, dip, fish, chicken, and vegetable side dish (this is after months of being home, I just can’t do more than that anymore). I also make a few easy extras for the kids.
Takes me an hour tops to cook or prep everything on Thursday and on Friday morning my husband does the cholent. If I leave anything to be actually cooked on Friday, I throw it in the oven in the morning usually. I totally agree that if you do things in advance it takes half the time (and also is way less stressful).
Friday I just clean the house, set up the table, urn, etc and bathe my kids.

Raisin

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 4:14 pm
I find cooking and freezing or refrigerating chicken soup in advance is a pain. If you cook it thursday its way too hot to stcik in fridge. But peel all the veggies the night before, (except onion) leave in water. in morning throw in pot with chicken and add water and leave to cook all day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics