Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Lime Pomegranate Chicken Wings
Previous  1  2

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 6:54 pm
I have several Korean cookbooks - if you are interested, let me know and I can send you digital copies. Some of them have a lot of the banchan recipes - most of them would be kosher if you avoid the obvious treif ingredients like shrimp and pork

Korean BBQ is delicious. My friend and I have done classics like Korean Short Ribs and Bulgagi and the ingredient list is completely kosher. While we don't have the table grills like an authentic K-Town restaurant, we just cook on the grill. My understanding is that restaurants serve with rice paper wraps and also radish wraps for the barbecue. I have seen recipes for the radish wraps but haven't ventured to make those at home.

And Bibimbap would be easy to make at home - essentially Korean fried rice.

Is this the bean dish you were reminiscing about

“KONGJANG - SOY-BRAISED BLACK SOYBEANS

Excerpt From: Kim Sohui - Korean Home Cooking

This dish, also called kongjaban, is a real crowd-pleaser, though non-Koreans do have to get used to the fact that these pitch-black soybeans retain their texture so that they are almost al dente: They should have a real bite. It can be surprising to those expecting traditional beans, normally cooked until soft. You will need to find seoritae, or dried black soybeans, which are available at Korean markets, some natural food stores, and online. Just don’t try to use regular dried black beans, which will get mushy.

Serves 6 to 8

2 cups (340 g) seoritae (dried black soybeans)
½ cup (120 ml) soy sauce
¼ cup (50 g) granulated sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, for garnish

1 Rinse the dried beans several times in cold running water, picking through them to discard any stones or broken beans. Put the beans in a medium saucepan and pour in 2 cups (480 ml) water, or enough to cover the beans by about an inch (2.5 cm). Let them soak for about 30 minutes.

2 Drain the beans and rinse them once or twice in cold water. Then pour in another 2 cups (480 ml) water, or enough to cover the beans by about an inch (2.5 cm).

3 Bring the beans to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and let them simmer for 12 minutes.

4 Add the soy sauce and sugar and let everything simmer for 30 minutes more, or until the liquid has reduced by half. Check the beans to see if they are done: They should be soft, but with a little bit of bite to them. If they’re not done, let them cook for a few minutes more.

5 When the beans are ready, stir in the rice syrup and adjust the soy sauce or syrup to taste. Let the beans cool in the pot, then garnish with the sesame seeds and serve at room temperature or cold. They will keep in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:24 pm
Amarante wrote:
I have several Korean cookbooks - if you are interested, let me know and I can send you digital copies. Some of them have a lot of the banchan recipes - most of them would be kosher if you avoid the obvious treif ingredients like shrimp and pork

Korean BBQ is delicious. My friend and I have done classics like Korean Short Ribs and Bulgagi and the ingredient list is completely kosher. While we don't have the table grills like an authentic K-Town restaurant, we just cook on the grill. My understanding is that restaurants serve with rice paper wraps and also radish wraps for the barbecue. I have seen recipes for the radish wraps but haven't ventured to make those at home.

And Bibimbap would be easy to make at home - essentially Korean fried rice.

Is this the bean dish you were reminiscing about

“KONGJANG - SOY-BRAISED BLACK SOYBEANS

Excerpt From: Kim Sohui - Korean Home Cooking

This dish, also called kongjaban, is a real crowd-pleaser, though non-Koreans do have to get used to the fact that these pitch-black soybeans retain their texture so that they are almost al dente: They should have a real bite. It can be surprising to those expecting traditional beans, normally cooked until soft. You will need to find seoritae, or dried black soybeans, which are available at Korean markets, some natural food stores, and online. Just don’t try to use regular dried black beans, which will get mushy.

Serves 6 to 8

2 cups (340 g) seoritae (dried black soybeans)
½ cup (120 ml) soy sauce
¼ cup (50 g) granulated sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, for garnish

1 Rinse the dried beans several times in cold running water, picking through them to discard any stones or broken beans. Put the beans in a medium saucepan and pour in 2 cups (480 ml) water, or enough to cover the beans by about an inch (2.5 cm). Let them soak for about 30 minutes.

2 Drain the beans and rinse them once or twice in cold water. Then pour in another 2 cups (480 ml) water, or enough to cover the beans by about an inch (2.5 cm).

3 Bring the beans to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and let them simmer for 12 minutes.

4 Add the soy sauce and sugar and let everything simmer for 30 minutes more, or until the liquid has reduced by half. Check the beans to see if they are done: They should be soft, but with a little bit of bite to them. If they’re not done, let them cook for a few minutes more.

5 When the beans are ready, stir in the rice syrup and adjust the soy sauce or syrup to taste. Let the beans cool in the pot, then garnish with the sesame seeds and serve at room temperature or cold. They will keep in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks.

Yes!

Korean bbq was delish. The one I went to used butter lettuce and paper thin meat. And mushrooms for the vegetarians. Which were actually better than meat.

She would also make korean pancakes in the dorm. And that I have been able to successfully recreate at home as it's not more than a batter of flour salt and water with whatever veg you want inside.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey