Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
9 year old sleep issues

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:21 pm
I am at my wit's end. My son has always been a difficult sleeper. He has lots of anxiety in general (he has a therapist). His sleep issues are just getting pathetic already. I have tried every single thing I have been told to do. He only sleeps nicely if he is in my room or someone older than him is in the room.he is the oldest so no real.oprion there although he sleep with his younger brother. He will cry for hours how he can't sleep and won't even let himself try. I can lay with him literally for hours and he won't sleep.I am going to have to speak to my pediatrician again to rule out anything medical because it is becoming pathetic already. She thought it was anxiety, which is what I think it is but I can't seem to stop it no matter what we do. He hasn't slept a full night without coming to my room literally in years and I am not interested in having him sleep here every night all night. If he comes towards morning it's a different story. Even once he is asleep he gets up really really often......Charts don't work for him, prizes don't work....any other ideas?

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am at my wit's end. My son has always been a difficult sleeper. He has lots of anxiety in general (he has a therapist). His sleep issues are just getting pathetic already. I have tried every single thing I have been told to do. He only sleeps nicely if he is in my room or someone older than him is in the room.he is the oldest so no real.oprion there although he sleep with his younger brother. He will cry for hours how he can't sleep and won't even let himself try. I can lay with him literally for hours and he won't sleep.I am going to have to speak to my pediatrician again to rule out anything medical because it is becoming pathetic already. She thought it was anxiety, which is what I think it is but I can't seem to stop it no matter what we do. He hasn't slept a full night without coming to my room literally in years and I am not interested in having him sleep here every night all night. If he comes towards morning it's a different story. Even once he is asleep he gets up really really often......Charts don't work for him, prizes don't work....any other ideas?
its a neurotransmitter thing. Have you ruled out pandas? The sleep disturbances plus the anxiety and inability to relax sound like it. What helps here is lots of magnesium throughout the day, methyl b complex in the morning, gaba, 5htp, l theanine and melatonin before bed. Plus treating the deeper issues like chronic infections, brain inflammation, adrenal issues, etc. Also, diet is huge. Serotonin and dopamine are needed to convert to melatonin, and those are mostly produced in the gut. So if there is dysbiosis or disease in the gut, neurotransmitter will be thrown out of whack. Bare minimum to be done towards gut healing is gluten and dairy free. And probiotics. Many see drastic improvements with these interventions, some need more restrictive diets and more targeted gut healing.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:40 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
its a neurotransmitter thing. Have you ruled out pandas? The sleep disturbances plus the anxiety and inability to relax sound like it. What helps here is lots of magnesium throughout the day, methyl b complex in the morning, gaba, 5htp, l theanine and melatonin before bed. Plus treating the deeper issues like chronic infections, brain inflammation, adrenal issues, etc

Yes, we had the same experience.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:44 pm
Please be careful with daily melatonin for a 9 year old. Dependence happens after consistent use for not that long, and it can affect the hormones at this important time. I had two boys on it for awhile. They are both significantly shorter than all the males in the family, and the one who was on it longer into his teens never really filled out. And he still doesn't sleep well without it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:47 pm
Thank you. I'm going to look into that. I don't give him melatonin on a daily basis. I don't find that helps him anyways at all. My doctor told me not to be dependent on it, so I only use it very sparingly.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:48 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
its a neurotransmitter thing. Have you ruled out pandas? The sleep disturbances plus the anxiety and inability to relax sound like it. What helps here is lots of magnesium throughout the day, methyl b complex in the morning, gaba, 5htp, l theanine and melatonin before bed. Plus treating the deeper issues like chronic infections, brain inflammation, adrenal issues, etc. Also, diet is huge. Serotonin and dopamine are needed to convert to melatonin, and those are mostly produced in the gut. So if there is dysbiosis or disease in the gut, neurotransmitter will be thrown out of whack. Bare minimum to be done towards gut healing is gluten and dairy free. And probiotics. Many see drastic improvements with these interventions, some need more restrictive diets and more targeted gut healing.

I did not rule out pandas. I'm not exactly sure what that is even, although I've seen threads on that so I'll look at that.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:53 pm
You could try to ask his therapist for advice on this issue, or even for the therapist to address it with him directly in therapy.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I did not rule out pandas. I'm not exactly sure what that is even, although I've seen threads on that so I'll look at that.
you can still try those supplements, even while you sort out other stuff
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics