Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Corona Scuba mask????

snowflake1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:06 pm
Wondering if anyone knows where I can get one in Monsey. Is it a Jewish thing?. Someone said they’re really comfortable made out of bathing suit material or something similar

gamanit

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:09 pm
Worthless except for in outdoor settings. In indoor settings, it just breaks up the particles to a smaller size which floats in the air longer. Stick to cotton.

snowflake1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:00 pm
OK, thanks for the info. But for outdoor settings do you know where I could get one

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 4:06 pm
The material would be neoprene and frankly I don't understand how it could be more comfortable than a cloth mask or a disposable surgical mask. Neoprene is not a particularly comfortable material to have on one's body - it is what wet suits are made of. A cloth mask or a disposable surgical mask are both comfortable and offer protection.

For non-high risk situations like being outdoors, cloth or disposable surgical masks are fine and actually they are good for most indoor situations as well.

The N95 masks are only somewhat more effective in terms of protecting the wearer so I reserve those for when I am in a more high risk situation like inside for an extended period of time like a waiting room for example.

I got cloth masks made from quilting fabric - they have two cloth layers and have a pouch which gives me the option to put in a disposable filter for more protection.

I have disposable surgical masks.

I have KN95 masks and I also have face shields.

Now if you mean some kind of mask with an exhaust filter when you call it a scuba mask those don't do a thing to protect other people because you are exhaling any virus. In some places that require masks, they are specifically NOT permitted because they don't protect. They are intended to be worn by construction workers who don't want to inhale the toxic materials they work with and are not intended for any kind of use as medical protection.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 7:34 pm
Amarante wrote:
The material would be neoprene and frankly I don't understand how it could be more comfortable than a cloth mask or a disposable surgical mask. Neoprene is not a particularly comfortable material to have on one's body - it is what wet suits are made of. A cloth mask or a disposable surgical mask are both comfortable and offer protection.

For non-high risk situations like being outdoors, these are fine and actually they are good for most indoor situation as well.

The N95 masks are only somewhat more effective in terms of protecting the wearer so I reserve those for when I am in a more high risk situation like inside for an extended period of time like a waiting room for example.

I got cloth masks made from quilting fabric - they have two cloth layers and have a pouch which gives me the option to put in a disposable filter for more protection.

I have disposable surgical masks.

I have KN95 masks and I also have face shields.

Now if you mean some kind of mask with an exhaust filter when you call it a scuba mask those don't do a thing to protect other people because you are exhaling any virus. In some places that require masks, they are specifically NOT permitted because they don't protect. They are intended to be worn by construction workers who don't want to inhale the toxic materials they work with and are not intended for any kind of use as medical protection.

shes referring to the ones made out of scuba material, such as the suits scuba divers wear.
its worthless.
& anyone who wears them better be washing them after each use or their just spreading the germs everywhere. Banging head

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 7:38 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
shes referring to the ones made out of scuba material, such as the suits scuba divers wear.
its worthless.
& anyone who wears them better be washing them after each use or their just spreading the germs everywhere. Banging head

I think scuba divers wear wet suits which are made of neoprene as I stated in my post. I don’t understand why a mask in this material would be more comfortable than a fabric or surgical mask. If anything, it would be less comfortable to be wearing a synthetic material which is theoretically intended to keep body heat inside the suit than to be wearing a cotton mask.

Its efficacy would be besides the point.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 7:41 pm
Amarante wrote:
I think scuba divers wear wet suits which are made of neoprene as I stated in my post. I don’t understand why a mask in this material would be more comfortable than a fabric or surgical mask. If anything, it would be less comfortable to be wearing a synthetic material which is theoretically intended to keep body heat inside the suit than to be wearing a cotton mask.

Its efficacy would be besides the point.

From personal experience, it is more uncomfortable.
its actually suffocating.
(I generally wear surgical and KN95 masks indoors and outdoors.
Someone gave me one of these scuba ones to try because they bought it in bulk)

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:37 pm
Cotton masks are definitely the most comfortable. The thinner the better. Check Etsy for some super comfy ones.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 6:21 am
No, Jews have sechell

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 6:27 am
Curious why all the ????

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 6:53 am
Op asked where she can get one.
Not for everyone's opinions on it.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 6:57 am
Getting unasked for opinions is an inbuilt risk when posting on this site.

Since the question is being asked in public to a random and broad based international audience, the opinions stated can sometimes be valuable to other people, even if not to the OP.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:20 am
Costco

snowflake1

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:44 am
I actually did just get one from Costco don’t like it that much feels weird when you breathe in.
Still on the hunt for a cotton one that I like most are too thick I feel like I can’t breathe. I I’m nervous getting from an online site when I don’t know what I’m getting and I can’t feel it. I am very sensory. I don’t like when I could feel the fibers of the cotton. It is the same with pillows LOL
If anyone knows of one that they have tried that they really liked then that would be great.
The ones I got for my kids and TJ Maxx also, that were cotton, shrunk by an inch after washing them in the kitchen with water. I wonder if that happens with adult ones to

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:45 am
I'm very happy with the cotton ones I ordered from Marks & Spencer. They are good quality thin cotton, probably about the same standard as they use for sheets. Two layers, a patterned outside and a plain white inside. Comfortable and breathable. Adjustable ear loops. As an extra bonus, I've received a lot of compliments on how pretty my masks are!

The package says machine washable. So far I've only washed them by hand, and I've had no shrinkage issues. They say not to put them in the dryer.

You can almost certainly order them online from America.

snowflake1

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 2:54 pm
Thanks I will look into that last time I ordered from there during corona it took two months to get my product maybe it is better now I looked into it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics