Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Bad camp memories
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 1:48 am
After opening up the other thread from CAMP MEMORIES it just came up "bad" memories.
As far as I remember, I was being bullied a lot, I felt it came across this way since I came from a very different cultural than the girls I went with there . I never actually got out all my hurt feelings so I think I will do so now.

1) I remember smhoozing with 2 girls , I still remember the girls though , they were pretending that they going to sleep and made it seem like were Finnishing our night and going back to bunk to sleep while afew minutes later I found them together on a different bench chatting, until I discovered they were trying to get rid of me . They wanted to talk private , I just remember how rude I thought that was and I was left hurt .

2) I remember girls asking me if I shave like in a fun way.

3) I remember one girl commenting to me that I'm very weird.

I came home with so many hurt and mixed feelings that I still regret these days for going. I never made any true friends in camp , I was just not cut out for camp especially that camp which wasnt the right fit for me. I pulled it through the summer and I dont know how because I was so miserable. Though my kids are bh just the opposite. So camp type, jolly, a ton of friends ect. I was far from from this . I'm so happy I can say my kids are from the popular ones, creative, and they're friends love them . I had such miserable memories from being a kid .

Who wants to share next ???

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 1:56 am
I loved camp.

I still have some bad memories.

Like when they didn't announce my birthday at lunch like they did for all the other girls. I felt awful, like I didn't count. (One of my counselors made me a cake late at night when she found out.)

And then that terrible summer where I newly got my period at camp and it felt too disgusting to take a shower, and I was too embarrassed to explain, and they wanted to kick me out of camp.

Or when I got docked from a trip, which I wasn't too upset about, and was enjoying the quiet and went to daven in the shul, and then as I was walking back from my bunk the administrator drove up the path and started yelling at me. I couldn't figure out what he was so angry about, but it turned out that he thought I was running away or hiding or something.

But I still loved camp, and begged my mother to go every summer.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 2:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
After opening up the other thread from CAMP MEMORIES it just came up "bad" memories.
As far as I remember, I was being bullied a lot, I felt it came across this way since I came from a very different cultural than the girls I went with there . I never actually got out all my hurt feelings so I think I will do so now.

1) I remember smhoozing with 2 girls , I still remember the girls though , they were pretending that they going to sleep and made it seem like were Finnishing our night and going back to bunk to sleep while afew minutes later I found them together on a different bench chatting, until I discovered they were trying to get rid of me . They wanted to talk private , I just remember how rude I thought that was and I was left hurt .

2) I remember girls asking me if I shave like in a fun way.

3) I remember one girl commenting to me that I'm very weird.

I came home with so many hurt and mixed feelings that I still regret these days for going. I never made any true friends in camp , I was just not cut out for camp especially that camp which wasnt the right fit for me. I pulled it through the summer and I dont know how because I was so miserable. Though my kids are bh just the opposite. So camp type, jolly, a ton of friends ect. I was far from from this . I'm so happy I can say my kids are from the popular ones, creative, and they're friends love them . I had such miserable memories from being a kid .

Who wants to share next ???

Wow this is really sad! Sorry for all you went through! I’m happy that at least your kids are having great camp experiences. I hope it’s somewhat of a balm for your soul.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:45 am
I was a bedwetter. I dreaded going to sleep at night. I didn't drink anything all day. dangerously so.. I can't know for sure if this was what made me a neb for my entire school/camp years. I remember seeing a bunkmate wet her bed once (in the older grades, when I was no longer doing so) and had a friend help her change her bedding before anyone woke up. I didn't have such friends.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:46 am
Walking in on two girls in bed under the sheets...

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:58 am
My parents only let me go to one camp that was really not my type. I had 2 classmates going there, not my friends and they weren’t as popular as I was. But it was good knowing there’s people I can fall back on, comes camp they totally ignored me. I was sick and they really just didn’t want me to bother them. I felt horrible. Hurt. I was devastated. I left camp a few days later and never went to camp again.

Zehava

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:06 am
Yep camp was mostly horrible
Being an introvert with trauma history and ongoing trauma does not mesh well when you are surrounded by immature teens and expected to be “having fun” all the time.

Radish

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 11:14 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
My parents only let me go to one camp that was really not my type. I had 2 classmates going there, not my friends and they weren’t as popular as I was. But it was good knowing there’s people I can fall back on, comes camp they totally ignored me. I was sick and they really just didn’t want me to bother them. I felt horrible. Hurt. I was devastated. I left camp a few days later and never went to camp again.

I can relate. I went to camp thinking I had friends, but those girls had different camp friends and I ain't a tag along. When I think about those summers I can cry from loneliness. So I try not to think about it.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 11:55 am
Zehava wrote:
Yep camp was mostly horrible
Being an introvert with trauma history and ongoing trauma does not mesh well when you are surrounded by immature teens and expected to be “having fun” all the time.

For me, camp was my refuge from my traumatic home

Zehava

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 12:44 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
For me, camp was my refuge from my traumatic home

Frying pan fire situation

Radish

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 1:06 pm
Zehava wrote:

This

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 1:28 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:

Or when I got docked from a trip, which I wasn't too upset about, and was enjoying the quiet and went to daven in the shul, and then as I was walking back from my bunk the administrator drove up the path and started yelling at me. I couldn't figure out what he was so angry about, but it turned out that he thought I was running away or hiding or something.

Are you me? I had a nearly identical story in camp.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 1:32 pm
I've never admitted this IRL, but I hated camp.

Like, I don't know why I put myself through a second year of torture.

I went for two years, one half each time. Both were when I was in high school.

I was bullied, I wasn't prepared, and I was out to fend for myself.

The first night of camp, when I went to take a shower, I discovered that there was no stool in the stall to put my clothing. I think there was one hook, but it could only fit my towel. There was a very high up ledge on the side, so I put my clothing up there. When I came out, I found that my bra had gotten pushed too far, and I couldn't reach it.

I tried to use my towel to whack it down. Of course, I heard girls snickering in the other room, telling each other what I was doing. In the meantime, the head OD came, since I was the last one in the shower and it was well past curfew. So then I was there, without my glasses, having to explain to the OD why I was out of bed. It was a truly humiliating experience. The summer only went downhill from there.

If anyone on here was in Camp Shira and recognizes this story, they are probably also someone I remember with resentment and anger.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:00 pm
Only went one year, hated it.
I asked some girls to talk more quietly while people were sleeping and one girl (who actually wasn’t even in my bunk, don’t know what she was doing there) told me she’ll punch my lights out so I won’t hear anything.
Will never forget how obnoxious that girl was.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:50 pm
Wow I hope my kids are never subject to such rudeness the likes of this thread.
Neither should they ever be so rude to others .

Horrible.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:56 pm
Zehava wrote:

Exactly
But I went to satmar camp. We didn’t have too much sports and weren’t actually required to participate in the activities, it was fine if we just hung out in the area. So I would sit in a corner and journal or daydream or listen to something on my headphones.
I never screamed myself hoarse, I never went on any of the trips . Those trip days when the grounds were empty was part of my healing.
We had delicious food in camp and I didn’t involve myself in any of the teenage drama. So camp was kind of a refuge from life for me.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 5:02 pm
Yes, children and teens can be cruel. I went to camp very young and was mocked and ostracised a lot... I felt terribly homesick...

Later, from garde 9 or 10, I went to thematic camps with clearly defined activities and people with the same interests, and I enjoyed it a lot... but those were rather short camps, a week or so...

I could not imagine staying away from my family the whole summer...

balibusta

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 8:04 pm
I remember once being really tired in camp and fell asleep and woke up to a bunch of girls putting nail polish on my toes and they thought it was really funny I remember not finding it funny at all..

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 8:43 pm
I loved my first summer in camp. I liked it less and less with each passing year. I kept going because my parents thought I loved it.

amother
Red

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 8:51 pm
I was once in the shower in camp and girls moved a dresser to block the door so that I wouldn't be able to get out. They thought it was hilarious. I didn't, still don't. I make sure to say out loud that I forgive them, but it's many years later and for some reason it still stings....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics