Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O What would you consider yourself?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

What do you consider yourself?
Chassidish  
 26%  [ 78 ]
Yeshivish  
 21%  [ 62 ]
MO  
 11%  [ 32 ]
JPF  
 23%  [ 68 ]
Chassidish Lite  
 3%  [ 10 ]
Heimish  
 5%  [ 16 ]
Other  
 5%  [ 15 ]
Chabad Chassidus  
 3%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 290

Einikel

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:05 am
I wasn’t trying to label anyone lol just curious about the demographics of the site.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:08 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Doesn't have to be yeshivish. In Israel there are different categories- labels
Like chareidi, ultra chareidi- name? dati-leumi, chiloni, moshavniks, mizrachists, yerushalmis, breslovers, cone ladies don't know names, srugo kippas, tzioni, anti-zionist, kibutznicks etcs.
You left out some more
BT, neturei karta, moshichist, lev tahor, reform, conservative, traditional whatever there are so many different ways people identify, associate with.

What are cone ladies?

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:09 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
There is a very small percentage of chasidish lite people to begin with.

You'd probably consider me chassidish lite, but I consider myself JPF. Born and raised very chassidish, but their value system does not resonate with me. I've chosen a different set of values that speaks to me, and I'm raising my kids accordingly.

My husband still wears his l'vush though, and we still live in our heimish neighborhood. But I don't consider clothing as something that defines you and makes you who you are. So hence, I'm JPF - an ehrliche yid, who's proud to be Hashem's soldier.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:27 am
Einikel wrote:
I wasn’t trying to label anyone lol just curious about the demographics of the site.

Don’t you know, you can never post anything innocently on imamother. You will always have someone down your back for one reason or another.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:28 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
You'd probably consider me chassidish lite, but I consider myself JPF. Born and raised very chassidish, but their value system does not resonate with me. I've chosen a different set of values that speaks to me, and I'm raising my kids accordingly.

My husband still wears his l'vush though, and we still live in our heimish neighborhood. But I don't consider clothing as something that defines you and makes you who you are. So hence, I'm JPF - an ehrliche yid, who's proud to be Hashem's soldier.

It doesn’t define who you are but it may define what group you belong to.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:36 am
Looks like those who say that Imamother skews right wing are correct, as much as it may seem otherwise.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:51 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
It doesn’t define who you are but it may define what group you belong to.

And you must belong to a certain group?

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:58 am
Also ashkenazic, yekkish, misnagdim weren't included.

This site is not for Reform etc but there might be people on here that are that & maybe they do consider themselves religious even if others don't look at them, that way.

dankbar

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:59 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

That's why she included jpf or other

singleagain

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:02 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Speaking of boxes, the classic joke: https://www.theguardian.com/st.....igion

Pink fridge. That's awesome. Love the ones at the bottom as well

amother
Periwinkle

Also ashkenazic, yekkish, misnagdim weren't included.

This site is not for Reform etc but there might be people on here that are that & maybe they do consider themselves religious even if others don't look at them, that way.

What is ashkenazic? Chasidim and yeshivish are officially ashkenaz derachim. And how many real misnagdim exist these days? Those that do are generally yeshivish or maybe JPF. Yekkish would also be the same.

Re reform - huh? This site is for orthodox women.

amother
Magenta

Chayalle wrote:
Most of my siblings are JPF. I was raised that way. My father is college-educated and worked to support his family, and was not at all pro-Kollel or supporting kids in Kollel (though some of his kids gravitated toward that.)

They are solidly frum, tznius, etc..with hashkafic level close to yeshivish, but they are not into the yeshivish Hashkafa of Kollel, etc...they married frum working boys. They send their kids to yeshiva-type yeshivos and BY schools, and some of their kids have become more yeshivish.

And they are definitely not MO.
ah, thanks for clarifying , I think I finally found a box for me !!!

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:03 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
What are cone ladies?

There are sects in Israel who wear shawls burka style, even more extreme sects who wear a cone on head & very wide robes as not to show a woman's figure. They resemble more of a hill then a person.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:04 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

No but if your husband wears a streimel etc, you probably wouldn’t be on our radar come shiduchim. That’s the reality.

And like dankbar said, for the purpose of this poll, feel free to choose other.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:05 am
There are sects in Israel who wear shawls burka style, even more extreme sects who wear a cone on head & very wide robes as not to show a woman's figure. They resemble more of a hill then a person.

Highly doubt they have internet access then!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:08 am
Modern machmir (living in a yeshivish community )

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:15 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
What is ashkenazic? Chasidim and yeshivish are officially ashkenaz derachim. And how many real misnagdim exist these days? Those that do are generally yeshivish or maybe JPF. Yekkish would also be the same.

Re reform - huh? This site is for orthodox women.

There are ashkenazic descent ( who daven nusach sfard by the way)

Then there are Ashkenazi customs & they daven nusach Ashkenaz. They were called Oiberlender. They weren't davka from Germany so not called Yekkish. They originated from Hungary as well, but were not chassidish, and come from different areas, like original Pupa & Nitra. More like Vien style.
Different hats & suits etc. Different culture. Many were misnagdim as well. Others had their descendants turn more Chassidish as these circles evolved into Chassidus later. From a rav turned into Rebbe. Younger ones changed levush too. This happened in Pupa, nitra, vien, but could be some still hold on to the older way.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:19 am
Sephardic
Bucharish
Persian
Syrian
Chassidish sefardi
Yemenite
American
European style is different too

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:23 am
What about posters who are sfardi?

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:36 am

Ohhhh. I know about the burka ladies. Never knew some who wear a cone on the head. Wow.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics