Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Attention SLPS!!! Break during CFY

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:00 am
Hi, Im starting my CFY soon iyh. Im due in a few months, has anyone taken off maternity leave (just 6 weeks) during their cfy? S/o at my agency just told me that I need to have worked for a consecutive 26 weeks in order for my cfy to count and by the time the baby is due Ill only have been working about 3 months...

thanks! really dont know what to do!

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:04 am
I'ts very complicated, make sure to look into carefully. I know some therapists who got really messed over with the CFY's. I think a break in time has to be less than 6 weeks, so I dont know if you would even be able to do a full 6 week maternity leave. But not sure exactly. I would call NYSED to hear from then exactly what the rules are

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:08 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I'ts very complicated, make sure to look into carefully. I know some therapists who got really messed over with the CFY's. I think a break in time has to be less than 6 weeks, so I dont know if you would even be able to do a full 6 week maternity leave. But not sure exactly. I would call NYSED to hear from then exactly what the rules are

thanks for replying!!!
I checked online and a CFY is considered valid if a CF works a minimum of 12 hours a week. So if Im allowed to take off 30 days, maybe after the baby Ill take off 29 days and then go back to work a few times a week to fufill the 12 hour a week quota...

I dont want to tell my employer yet as I didnt even start but Im kind of in a bind right now

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:13 am
Hmm. I did my CFY in a number of increments. First a few months in one place, in one state. Then a few months with another employer, in a different state. Then I moved far away and had a large break, but I completed my CFY in a third state. I had no problem with ASHA.

Are you concerned about ASHA or your state license?

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thanks for replying!!!
I checked online and a CFY is considered valid if a CF works a minimum of 12 hours a week. So if Im allowed to take off 30 days, maybe after the baby Ill take off 29 days and then go back to work a few times a week to fufill the 12 hour a week quota...

I dont want to tell my employer yet as I didnt even start but Im kind of in a bind right now

Right the minimum is 12 hours. But you really need to get in those 12 hours. And you cannot have more than 2 employers according to the state, so you can't switch jobs. Its really easiest if you only have one employer as the paperwork gets so complicated if you have 2

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:18 am
Right the minimum is 12 hours. But you really need to get in those 12 hours. And you cannot have more than 2 employers according to the state, so you can't switch jobs. Its really easiest if you only have one employer as the paperwork gets so complicated if you have 2

So if I take off for the baby for less than 30 days and I make sure to work at least 14 hours when Im back for a little bit, ill be fine no?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:19 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Hmm. I did my CFY in a number of increments. First a few months in one place, in one state. Then a few months with another employer, in a different state. Then I moved far away and had a large break, but I completed my CFY in a third state. I had no problem with ASHA.

Are you concerned about ASHA or your state license?

Im concerned about both ASHA and state no?

mommy100

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:21 am
Your best off contacting both ASHA and The state you are in to get confirmation from them in writing. I know a therapist who had to restart her cfy hours because of this where as another one didn’t the rules are very technical

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:22 am
mommy100 wrote:
Your best off contacting both ASHA and The state you are in to get confirmation from them in writing. I know a therapist who had to restart her cfy hours because of this where as another one didn’t the rules are very technical

I've tried contacting ASHA. For some reason when I call the line hangs up on me and doesn't give me an option to speak to anyone. Its very frustrating. I also emailed them

Your friend had to restart her CFY bc she had a baby?

miami85

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:26 am
I'm not a speech therapist but I was expecting my baby. during my internship year and I needed to accrue a certain # of hours during that year in order to graduate so I ended up going back after 5 weeks. B"H I was granted a really easy infant who slept so I was able to do it

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:47 am
miami85 wrote:
I'm not a speech therapist but I was expecting my baby. during my internship year and I needed to accrue a certain # of hours during that year in order to graduate so I ended up going back after 5 weeks. B"H I was granted a really easy infant who slept so I was able to do it

Thanks! Im not sure if the same applies to a CFY but that would be nice

I have a phone meeting @1 with ASHA to see their policy iyh it goes well.

How do other frum CF's have babies during their CFY without messing up their whole CFY??

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im concerned about both ASHA and state no?

I can’t answer for state, since they’re all different. But I did my CFY over a longer period of time, with breaks. I didn’t have trouble with losing the hours I had already worked, for ASHA. It just took longer.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 11:07 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I can’t answer for state, since they’re all different. But I did my CFY over a longer period of time, with breaks. I didn’t have trouble with losing the hours I had already worked, for ASHA. It just took longer.

ASHA said it wasnt an issue to take off and NY state was not helpful at all!! Im just as confused as ever. I need to speak to my supervisor but I feel dumb that the first convo Im having with her is regarding maternity leave :/

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:08 am
Where I work a cf took off 2 months for maternity leave and it was fine, she just got her ccc’s two months later than the other cfs that started when she did. Not in ny but I doubt it matters.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 2:01 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Where I work a cf took off 2 months for maternity leave and it was fine, she just got her ccc’s two months later than the other cfs that started when she did. Not in ny but I doubt it matters.

It DOES matter that OP is in NY. New York State Education Department (NYSED) is much stricter about the CFY rules than ASHA. (NYSED doesn't call it the CFY, they call it the "supervised experience," or something like that) And your license comes from NYSED, so if you want a license to practice you need to follow their rules. ASHA only provides the CCC-the certification- which is nice, but honestly most workplaces don't even require it. You need the license in order to be able to work

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 6:26 pm
It DOES matter that OP is in NY. New York State Education Department (NYSED) is much stricter about the CFY rules than ASHA. (NYSED doesn't call it the CFY, they call it the "supervised experience," or something like that) And your license comes from NYSED, so if you want a license to practice you need to follow their rules. ASHA only provides the CCC-the certification- which is nice, but honestly most workplaces don't even require it. You need the license in order to be able to work

Yep! Summed it up pretty nicely thanks Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics