Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Help me do school OT teletherapy

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 12:59 pm
I'm doing several virtual students while the rest are in person.

No one gave me resources or training. Can anyone help? If you are doing school OT on zoom/Google classroom, please share ideas and resources!

My students usually don't have many resources at home. There is loud noise in the background (mom watching tv) and it isn't respectful of me to ask them to make the environment quieter or to provide another spot for the student. I'm lucky if they have paper and pencil near them, but I can't depend on them having much else.

I'm doing both motor/ writing and self regulation with these students.

Thank you!

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 1:34 pm
My mom is doing OT teletherapy in an NYC public school for kids in grades 1-5. If you want me to ask her for her ideas, I can.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 1:36 pm
Almost every family has a pair of headphones they can use during sessions.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 1:46 pm
I'm looking for an OT teletherapy position. If you don't mind posting.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 2:10 pm
I'm doing virtual OT and in the same boat as you! The kids have no supplies (and don't show up half the time)!

Things I have done:
Paper ripping activity (rip paper into strips, use 1 hand to crumple into balls, use balls for in hand manipulation games)
Highlights.com has some great find the hidden picture games for free online.
Another great free website is digipuzzle.net with lots of good visual motor and visual perception games.
I also do visual memory games with shapes, letters and figures on a whiteboard
You can also do finger games (touch thumb and index/middle/ring/pinky and they imitate for kinesthetic awareness)
There are some good videos I saw on YouTube by OTs for treatment ideas without supplies.

Good luck!

SingALong

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:27 pm
Just received some teletherapy courses from professional continueing Ed. Probably summit education or occupational therapy.com....don’t remember exactly. Maybe those would be helpful...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:02 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
My mom is doing OT teletherapy in an NYC public school for kids in grades 1-5. If you want me to ask her for her ideas, I can.

Yes, please.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:04 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
I'm looking for an OT teletherapy position. If you don't mind posting.

I'm in an OOT community working for regular schools. Most of my kids are in person. I just have 3-4 online. It isn't a teletherapy job really. But - try presence learning or global teletherapy (the latter is frum, I believe).

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 1:08 pm
OP, I don't know whether or not this is helpful for you, but this is what my mom responded.

"So what I do is pretty formulaic. It’s hardly even based on what I think the kids needs are, just sensory and writing stuff to fill the time. First I’ll do a Jack Hartmann exercise video and then I do yoga cards. Then I have these worksheets I present to the kids, it has copying sentences and making simple drawings and visual perceptual games. I use the aww app whiteboard as an assist.

Then I play Spot It or some other game. OT tools to grow is a pretty good resource, some things are free, others you need to subscribe

There’s a Facebook group called School Based OT/PT Teletherapy through google meet/classroom she can join. Many resources there

I never ask the parents to have anything more than a paper and pencil."

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 1:09 pm
She also sent a PDF with some ideas - if you give me an email address I can forward.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 1:20 pm
It really depends on what you are working on with that specific kid but here’s some things my sons OT did with him on zoom
-Yoga
-there was a game with a jumping bug he had to “catch” on the screen
-writing activities. the child needs a touch screen. They practiced letters and numbers
-Morah music
-belly races
-Tracking stuff , “look at the blue circle look at the yellow circle”
-I spy games
-holding a spoon with a Cheerio on it and walking across the room while looking at the spoon
-they made flash cards with an old cereal box
-mazes on the screen
-Something where the numbers jumped and he had to read them out loud
-throwing a ball up and cAtching it

And more I can’t remember

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 1:34 pm
Deleted

amother
Mintgreen

Post Wed, Nov 01 2023, 5:07 pm