Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O Are you chassidish? Poll
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Are you chassidish?
Grew up chassidish, now not anymore  
 2%  [ 8 ]
Grew up nonchassidish, now chassidish  
 5%  [ 18 ]
Grew up chassidish, still chassidish  
 44%  [ 152 ]
Grew up nonchassidish, still nonchassidish  
 47%  [ 160 ]
Total Votes : 338

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 1:47 pm
lilies wrote:
There may be many users included - ones who just browse. I don't believe it's an accurate representation of the vocal 'population' on here.

If they’re registered and came to fill in the poll not long after it was posted I think it’s fair to say it’s pretty accurate. You can say the same theory for the nonchassidish who filled out the poll.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 1:48 pm
dankbar wrote:
You have to realize from where she is coming from. Have to go slowly. Every thing is new for her. Huge sacrifice on the big ticket items.
Everything is a new undertaking.

Whereas you grew up FFB so many things you were used to already

Yep! Was about to say it.

It’s all new for me and still relearning things with my mashpia and our rav

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 1:49 pm
Grew up chassidish, still living a chassidish lifestyle although a lot more lite than the one I grew up with, but my heart is not in it.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 1:53 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I’m chassidish without a rebbi. I have a rov

Same. Not affiliated to any chasiddus or Rebbe. My DH has a yeshivish /litvish Rav and my DH davens in both yeshivish and Chasidish shuls. I am familiar with both worlds.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 1:57 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I know plenty of people in the younger generation who speak Yiddish who are not Chassidish. I have a close friend, as yeshish/Litvish as they come, who speaks yiddish in the home, and she's not the only one. Lakewood definitely has a yiddish-speaking Litvish population.

Yes. Many yeshivish families speak Yiddish in their homes. They just have a different Havara.

dankbar

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 2:01 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
It's always been pretty obvious to me. I can usually tell from the writing style and am never surprised when an anonymous poster says she is Chassidish.

Some chassidish posters are really sophisticated and you can't tell from their posts

tigerwife

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 2:02 pm
Einikel wrote:
We always teitched amar redden and daber zugen

I learned the opposite.
Vayomer- In er hut gezugt
Vayedaber- in er hut geredt

My kids translate straight to English. I’m glad that it’s easier for them to understand, but now I’m trying to figure out how they will ever learn yiddish.

dankbar

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 2:06 pm
zaq wrote:
In the US there is a growing culture of secular Yiddish speakers, complete with conversation groups, social events featuring klezmer music, and online forums discussing fine points of grammar, usage and pronunciation. Few if any are Yiddish speakers from childhood, nor is Yiddish their primary language. Rather, Yiddish is their hobby, but speak it, read it and write it they do.

Foremost among them is the amazing Aaron Lansky, founder of the Yiddish Book Center in Amherst, MA. Outside of the chassidish community, he has arguably done more for the preservation of Yiddish in America than anyone since Uriel Weinreich. If you've never read his book, Outwitting History: The Amazing Adventures of a Man Who Rescued a Million Yiddish Books, you should.

https://www.yiddishbookcenter.org/about/staff

There is also yiddishism without the culture/religion just the language. Even broadway shows/musicals sung/performed in Yiddish.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 2:14 pm
I actually think that exposure to another language is always beneficial, and I'm glad that my kids have had some yiddish translation in the classroom, even if it gives them just a smattering of knowledge.

I have a BIL who is the son of BT's, and he can hold his own in yiddish and listen to shiurim, etc...and learned all of this in the school system.

If I had had a son, DH and I would definitely have wanted some yiddish in our choice of school. We wouldn't want it to be a pressure, but why deprive a child of the opportunity if they wanted it.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 2:21 pm
dankbar wrote:
Some chassidish posters are really sophisticated and you can't tell from their posts

It's not a lack of sophistication. It's a certain turn of phrase or usage of certain words.
Obviously I am sure there are some that are much harder to tell. But, any post that mentions it, I have never been surprised.
BTW, I have come across frum posters (not chassidish) on secular online forums, and I can always tell. There is just a certain way of speaking and writing that most frum people have, whether or not they grew up frum. It has nothing to do with grammar or extensive vocabulary.
Kind of like the way we speak, a certain cadence or tone. You can always tell a frum caller on a radio show, even if it's "Josh" from NYC or "Ruth" from wherever.

dankbar

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 2:25 pm
Refine wrote:
RE Yiddish being similar to english- they really are not, but do share some thing interesting. Some words that have a silent gh in English have a gutteral sound in Yiddish.
For example: light= licht, high= hoich, night=nacht, eight=acht

Laugh-lach
Might-macht
Right-recht

Some letters interchangeable like p & f which makes sense in Hebrew it's same letter

In English ph is also f sound

or g/d/t
bed- בעט
Beg-בעט

Some are just similar
other-אנדערע
Way-וועג
"גע"זאגט-said

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 2:35 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Grew up chassidish, still living a chassidish lifestyle although a lot more lite than the one I grew up with, but my heart is not in it.

Me too. It's hard though.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 2:37 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Just one thing...whenever this topic comes up, Lubavitch considers themselves chassidish. But they’re not who the poll is referring to...
No offense to anyone Can't Believe It

Um, I don't consider myself Chassidish. I AM Chassidish. Thank you very much.

Signed,
Mrs. Chabadnik

Genius

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 2:39 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:

Signed,
Mrs. Chabadnik

You are, but you likely wouldn’t put yourself into the same category as Mrs Viznitz.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 2:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think according to the poll it’s safe to say that about half the posters are chassidish!

Nope. Again, poll bias. Look at the other poll. If I post a topic "Are you a vegan?" in Interesting Discussions, nonvegans are way more likely not to open it. They also might not realize there is a poll, not just a discussion about the lifestyle. So if 50% of respondants are vegan, it's not necessarily accurate. The demographic of your polling pool is skewed.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:08 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:

Signed,
Mrs. Chabadnik

Ditto

How can someone be chassidish without a Rebbe? That's like an ice cream cone without ice cream.

Chassidish must mean something different in Imamother world than my world. For the poll I voted nonchassidish because whatever that definition is, I'm not that.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:09 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Me too. It's hard though.
easier than if I’d be living a heavy duty chassidish lifestyle. But it comes with its difficulties.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:19 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
easier than if I’d be living a heavy duty chassidish lifestyle. But it comes with its difficulties.

Obviously. Its living the double life that's exhausting.

dankbar

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Ditto

How can someone be chassidish without a Rebbe? That's like an ice cream cone without ice cream.

Chassidish must mean something different in Imamother world than my world. For the poll I voted nonchassidish because whatever that definition is, I'm not that.

Chabbad lives by rebbe's teachings, their culture is based upon chassidish beliefs, they learn chasidish seforim teachings, they stem from rabbinical dynasty, many chumros/minhagim are from way back that they still follow. Their dress is unique ( the ones who adhere to original dresscodes) & not mainstream. Many hold on to the Yiddish language. Original chassidim from Bal Shem with serving Hashem with simcha, song & dance, uplifting the gashmiyus, mundane into spiritual/ruchniyus to serve Hashem. The passion/the warmth/the shukling. Their way of life is even closer to original chassidus somewhat as they don't focus so much on the superficial outer trappings but more on the heart.
Same for breslov. Same idea but also no live Rebbe.
They are also very different than other chassidim. They focus a lot on kiruv, shlichut, moshiach, accepting everyone into their group, regardless of where he is holding in Yiddishkeit.
They also intermingle with outer world more, take degrees etc.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:44 pm
dankbar wrote:
Chabbad lives by rebbe's teachings, their culture is based upon chassidish beliefs, they learn chasidish seforim teachings, they stem from rabbinical dynasty, many chumros/minhagim are from way back that they still follow. Their dress is unique ( the ones who adhere to original dresscodes) & not mainstream. Many hold on to the Yiddish language. Original chassidim from Bal Shem with serving Hashem with simcha, song & dance, uplifting the gashmiyus, mundane into spiritual/ruchniyus to serve Hashem. The passion/the warmth/the shukling. Their way of life is even closer to original chassidus somewhat as they don't focus so much on the superficial outer trappings but more on the heart.
Same for breslov. Same idea but also no live Rebbe.
They are also very different than other chassidim. They focus a lot on kiruv, shlichut, moshiach, accepting everyone into their group, regardless of where he is holding in Yiddishkeit.
They also intermingle with outer world more, take degrees etc.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I wasn't asking about chabad. Some posters said they're chassidish without a Rebbe. That's what I referred to.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics